Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

Stanwix Heights Ridgerunners

Oh crap! I was WITH them before I marched Empire in 87! Taught them, too (drums, if you can believe it...I could outplay the entire line). I got into an argument with the fireman who wrote the cadence because I realized there was an extra beat in a ROLL and he got ###### when I took it out. He #####ed me out during assembly for a parade and I had to finally tell him if he was not instructing or otherwise involved with the corps to get away from MY drum line....I was right and he was wrong (as evidenced by the sudden cleanup of the marching, since the kids didn't suddenly find themselves on the wrong foot!)

Edit: Just realized this parade was probably the only time I ever played my DC10s in performance!

The other time I marcheddrums, I carried the tenors.

Me and Ray Szarek at a parade (is he still with Cru? He was in 04....came up to me after we took our post-Prelims picture -- surprised the hell outta me!)

image81.gif

Edited by 84BDsop

Sorry double post.

Edited by royal-air canada

In that "Delta Thunderbirds" photo I'm on the left side somewhere. Cannot remember just where exactly. Funny how the drum corp circle goes around for so many of us eh Ron? Back in the day (early 60's) in Northern California drum corps. Remember many times marching against the likes of the "Richmond Hawks", the San Francisco "Knights of Cathay", the Santa Rosa "La Sabers" The Sacramento "Railey's Raiders, the Sacramento "Capitolers (all girl) etc. and of course the Senior Joaquin Caballeros corp. And all this was before there ever was a DCI or corps like the "Stockton Commadores" the "Santa Clara Vanguard" or the "Blue Devils". Did I mention the parades? And of course not to forget to mention EVERY year in the San Francisco "Chinese New Years Parade". Marching last year (2008) in that parade with the San Francisco "Renegades" was an experience that really brought back the memories. Where it all started for me Ron. How about telling us about some of the experiences from the Southern California obscure corp where you started? I guess we were all like the roots of what came later in California drum corps.....Oh the stories....If there is anyone else out there still that remembers or marched with any of these early Northern California drum corps how about chiming on with some of your recollections.

Edited by royal-air canada

Well, there's always the Pacific Beach Albacorps!

In the northeast... old eastern mass circuit Div II

Black Barons '57 '58 '59 Malden,Mass About nineteen horns, two snares, two tenors, two base

Pontiac Chieftains '56 '57 '58 Lawrence, Mass About twenty four horns three snares , two tenors, two base

Others Peabody Clippers (Peabody, Mass) Les Musketeers ( Berlin, N.H.)

Golden Eagles (Portsmouth, N.H.)

Esso Statesmen (Everett, Mass)

Les Musketeers (Berlin N.H.)

Daurice Drum Corps (Hyde Park, Mass

In the northeast... old eastern mass circuit Div II

Black Barons '57 '58 '59 Malden,Mass About nineteen horns, two snares, two tenors, two base

Pontiac Chieftains '56 '57 '58 Lawrence, Mass About twenty four horns three snares , two tenors, two base

Others Peabody Clippers (Peabody, Mass) Les Musketeers ( Berlin, N.H.)

Golden Eagles (Portsmouth, N.H.)

Esso Statesmen (Everett, Mass)

Les Musketeers (Berlin N.H.)

Daurice Drum Corps (Hyde Park, Mass

The Clippers competed against the Princemen and the Hurricanes. I have a tape of them as well as a program from one of their contests. They were actually pretty good and lasted for a number of years. The Esso Statesmen became the Everett Statesmen, and produced many folks that later performed with better known corps. ("Cupcakes" John Curran from the Hurricanes)

How about the Tewksbury Orbiteers, and some of the Yankee Circuit corps like the Lithuanian War Vets, the Charter Oak Sabers, the Claremont Cavaliers, and the Auburn Noteables. The Braintree Braves in their later years would sometimes compete with one horn, two drums, and a guard of 2 or 3.

I'm too young to have seen them live or competed but the corps preceding the Blue Stars in La Crosse was the La Crosse Blackhawks.

holy crap - someone mentioned the Blackhawks

now here's one for ya......

The Apple Arrows from LaCrescent Minnesota - right across the river from LaCrosse....

Dr. Dave Kampshoer's (sp?) original corps....djkbd pb

Weren't the Dons Div I in 1985? I remember them playing Amparito Roca with a pretty big hornline.

Yeah, I remember competing against the Dons in 1985, and they made top 25 that year if I remember correctly.

Them and the Salem Argonauts in their Fruit Stripe Gum uniforms.