Percussion Harness Visual Suggestion

Not sure if I posted about this regarding the Lawrence MA show.

I really noticed this with Academy. Their drums were so low the harness was very visible between their uni top and the drum heads. I was watching sticking and it was somewhat distracting (my eyes are old and knackered :thumbdown: ).

Why not a uni-matching Velcro-ed piece to cover the harness rods?

this has been done before to cover the exposed part og the harness. It's just a corps choice what they want to do, although I think a uniform look is much better.

Yeah, various corps have tried taping them, painting them, et cetera. I agree that white carriers poking out of a dark shirt is distracting, but honestly, some makers just don't have black carriers, believe it or not.

Mike

Actually, the 2 largest carrier makers in the world, Randall May and XL both have black carriers, and Randall May can actually custom make a carrier in a variety of colors. He just made a custom one-off set for the Marines (i believe that's the correct branch) in blue. The J rods are aluminum, because powder coating comes off, and is a mess to deal with when it starts flaking off. That's why they're usually a stock aluminum color. I can't speak for XL (I personally intensely dislike those carriers...HORRIBLY uncomfortable, IMO), but I believe those are in chrome.

Mapex makes their own carrier, so I can't speak to what those are like.

Yeah, various corps have tried taping them, painting them, et cetera. I agree that white carriers poking out of a dark shirt is distracting, but honestly, some makers just don't have black carriers, believe it or not.

Mike

I've spray painted many harnesses just because of reasons like this.

It's an extra couple of hours that really does make a word of difference.

ok, but, even with painted rods, even flat black, the tubing is there and confuses the eye relative to the sticks. A pants-matching velcro-ed sleeve could fit over both rods and provide a flatter "backdrop". I did really dig the look of the lower drums though I'm fairly certain it's is a technique related decision. Reminded me of metal guitarists with axe slung low :thumbdown:

ok, but, even with painted rods, even flat black, the tubing is there and confuses the eye relative to the sticks. A pants-matching velcro-ed sleeve could fit over both rods and provide a flatter "backdrop". I did really dig the look of the lower drums though I'm fairly certain it's is a technique related decision. Reminded me of metal guitarists with axe slung low :thumbdown:

low hung tenors only look good standing still to me,..................carriage while moving never seems to work well no matter how hard you try,.............they wobble and look like crap................

Or, you could slap a Yamaha sticker on it even though you are carrying Ludwig drums.

1988ScottDCIFinals01.jpg

:thumbdown::worthy:

All these years and I NEVER noticed that.

I remember seeing a BD performance once and noticed the bass drums had special jackets that let them wear the harness underneath like the snares and tenors.