Drum corps wedding tunes?

Galen

The "Ave Maria" (Beibl) was performed by our brass quintet - all members of the San Francisco Renegades. We did this piece when I marched in 03-04. It's sort of a signature tune now (I think!). The arrangement could probably be requested by Chris Nalls or hmmm... Ed Teleky? I'm trying to remember who composed it for us that year.

MAV

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a drum corps wedding - a full mass in a Catholic Church - and we used the following song selections:

PROCESSIONAL.........................“Ave Maria” – Shubert,

...............................................“Canon in D” – Pacobel,

...............................................“Trumpet Voluntary” - Clark

PRESENTATION OF THE GIFTS.....“Ave Maria” - Beibl

SIGN OF PEACE.........................“Let There Be Peace on Earth”

COMMUNION.............................“Simple Gifts”

CANDLE CEREMONY...................“One Hand / One Heart” - Bernstein

RECESSIONAL...........................“Ode To Joy”

FIRST DANCE............................"Let It Be Me"

You may recognize some of the musicians too -

ORGANIST: John Skilton

CANTER: Stefanie Kressaty

BRASS QUINTET : Joe Pero, Trumpet

Travis Gould, Trumpet

Chris Nalls, Horn

Brian Haslanger, Trombone

James Barany, Tuba

Here are some ideas that we did as part of our wedding & reception:

- The Officiant was Father Jim Murphy...a big drum corps fan!

- Our videographer was John Christiansen, whose work you see around the activity

- Our photographer was Sue Johnson, a drum corps photographer, SCV alum & corps mom

- The entire wedding party wore marching shoes (hey, they actually look nice and are very comfortable!)

- Hung colorguard flags from the ceiling

- Had people sign a drum head instead of a guest book

- Totally forgot the bride's garter and instead the groom tossed an orange cone

- Each little bottle of bubbles had a tag that listed the name of a corps 'love song' and lyrics ("you are the sunshine of my life" or "I bless the day I found you")

Is there a wedding in your future?

Mav...now Mrs. Mav-Dempsey

That was a fun day, no doubt about it!!!!

Fran

For our first dance at our wedding in 1991, Barbara and I chose Barbra Streisand's "Evergreen."

The Sunrisers used that tune for our finale the first two years I marched there... 1977-78... our first two DCA titles.

Fran

in 1985 two staff members who were also alumnus of the corps got married. The groom also had marched 27th in 1981.

Our Brass Caption Head, Bill Hamilton, played Danny Boy on soprano as the groom entered the church.

My husband and I both marched with the 27th Lancers and we used an acoustic version of Eric Clapton playing "Danny Boy" while the guests were ushered in to seating. Also I came down the aisle to "Crown Imperial" and after they announced us husband and wife we exited to "Seahawk". Beautiful and we have video if anyone needs to hear the arrangements we used.

"Crown Imperial" makes a great coming down the aisle song in so many ways.

My mom told me the only thing missing was rifles being tossed while we came down, I wish I had thought of that! :big hug:

I wish we would've dance to "Can't help falling in Love" (Our closer in the Blues) that would've been cool!

For our final dance, we used "Time to Say Goodbye" (Boston, 2000) but we used the recorded version by Sarah Brightman. I met my Best Man when I joined my very first drum corps at the tender age of 33!

After marching 4th of July Parades, the Kilties came to the church to play for our wedding. 30 horns. In uniform.

Music:

• Bridesmaids came in to "Simple Gifts"

• Bridal March was Kilties' (Kenny Norman arrangement) "Slow Syne".

• I did an arrangement of "Old 100th/Doxology" for the Hymn of the Day

• Exit was Fanfare/Parade "Auld Lang Syne." My new bride and I had been friends 25 years earlier in HS. "Old aquaintances" for sure.

Drum corps photographer Ron Walloch was our wedding photographer.

The late Cozy Baker did a half-page report on the wedding in the 2003 DCI-week issue of Drum Corps World.

Outside the church, after running a gauntlet of raised horns, the Kilties performed for us -- stopping passing traffic.

I had also proposed to Beth, in uniform, after the corps returned to practice after dinner at a winter camp.