Great Drum Corps Solos

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how many can remember Dave Lang playing baritone as a soloist throughout practically the entire Colts show back in 1984? He was a superb player.

Yes indeed. Amazing player.

• 4 weeks later...
Frank and Bob Murphy on the triple tonguing - Screech on the High A that he held for 4 minutes or something.

Bob is one of the great players in drum corps history whose name doesn't come up because Sun was less about individuals and more about the corps, one of the reasons so few people know that the great Billy Cobham played tenor drum there in the early 60s. And it was '66.

Good for you bringing up Bob's contributions, Ray. He is indeed one of the greats, thought you'd never get him to include himself as anything but "one of many sops."

Good for you bringing up Bob's contributions, Ray. He is indeed one of the greats, thought you'd never get him to include himself as anything but "one of many sops."

Sky had so many great players, that people forget that Sun's mid-60s line had Diliberto, Dorritie, Murphy... in fact all you guys - and then they add a player that sounds like Cookie Kamerdin - it's like a luxury of riches.

Later on Tom McCarthy was cut from that same mold - just 10 years too late... he was a real throwback in a lot of ways.

The most talented baritone player to ever march on a field.

I know - I marched next to him...

Perhaps in your era. On the other hand there was a gentleman who came out of the hay fields of Kansas back in the 50's and had marched with (and later instructed) the Hutchinson Sky Ryders, was recruited into the Air Corps D&B Corps stationed in Washington, D.C. under the direction of Truman Crawford, and upon honorable discharge from the service became a member of the New York Skyliners. If you should ever get the opportunity to listen to a Fleetwood album (I believe they are making CD's of some of their classic albums now) "Portrait In Brass" there is a solo selection of one John "Suitcase" Simpson that will simply melt your bones. He plays Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" on a G-D piston/slide Getzen Baritone. Now being able to play "Rhapsody In Blue" on a 3 valve "G" Baritone correctly and with proper finesse is one thing, but to play that piece with proper technique and finesse on the above mentioned instrument puts this man in a very rare atmosphere. Sometime back in the early 60's he entered an Individual contest on Baritone. He scored a 99.9 by the horn judge, Mr. Don Angelica by name. It is/was the highest score ever given to a performer by Angelica. On the comment portion Angelica stated "Although I can find nothing wrong in your performance here tonight, I can't give you a perfect score, no one is perfect." If you get that opportunity to listen to Mr. Simpson on that "Portrait In Brass" album, you try to tell me that he isn't perfect. This guy could make your typical, everyday garden hose sound like a Bach Strad.

Edited by NYSkyliner

Great Topic.

Just a few comments.

Ray- Baby John played Cry Me A River in 1965 not 1970.

Stardust. Although Bob Adair only played it once or twice he was the one who did it on the Off The Line Album recorded in Albany NY 1958 which is burned into every sprano players mind. He did arrange Stardust for Gene Bunting who played it at all the other shows. In 1961 John Leonhardt played a shortened version of it and in 1964 Barney Longitano played the long version. Reilly's High G guy was not Bob Adair or Gene Bunting but Ted Locker. After Ted it was a mixture of Gene Bunting, John Leonhardt, Barney Longitano and Frank ( Bubbles) Assaro.

Whoever brought up Russ Mikkelson of Blue Stars.. I marched with him in 1977 his first year. He was 17 and played the opening solo to our show. We had a weekend in Sheboygan Wi a contest and some big parade and we The Blue Stars and The Kilties were going to have a cutting high note contest between Russ and The Kilties Tommy Meredith who has been mentioned in the thread. I think Tommy's nickname was Stoneface?? I don't remember if it transpired but we did play the Kilties in football and the Freelancers in basketball that weekend. But man could Russ and Tommy play. They were the midwest's answer to Brady and Kevitt on the east coast. Plus that guy in Madison who's name I don't know.

I am surprised Bill Pusey of Blessed Sacrament was not mentioned. 1967-1970 Especially his solo on Free Again the exit in 1969 and 1970. And, Bobby Burke of Sunrisers,Skyliners,Hawthorne fame. Bobby might be the only soloist to have played solos in all three of those corps.

Personally, I always liked the Royalairs soloists Chris Ferriera spell? And the guy after him Devitt sorry I don't recall his first name. Nice style on his solos not tomention all the octave stuff he played on the line parts. At that time you just did not hear that kind of range in line parts. A trailblazer for sure.

For the senior corps of my generation. Ponzo and Hawkins or Hawkins and Ponzo. Range, power, intonation, BALLS. And of course, Price and Centerino of The Matadors. Gotta put Grass in there too.