Great Drum Corps Solos

Sky had so many great players, that people forget that Sun's mid-60s line had Diliberto, Dorritie, Murphy... in fact all you guys - and then they add a player that sounds like Cookie Kamerdin - it's like a luxury of riches.

Later on Tom McCarthy was cut from that same mold - just 10 years too late... he was a real throwback in a lot of ways.

Any of us the "knew" them could never forget them ... but, I think to Sky and the GREAT Portrait in Brass album with the likes of Bucky Swan, Tommy Martin, Pepe Notaro, Hy Dreitzer, John Simpson, Harry Hazelwood, Johnny Guarino, JoJo Todaro, Gus Wilke, Billy Hightower (yes, he played with Sky in 62 and 68) and Jackie Meehan all playing ... all I can say is WOW ... and that was 1962 ... the Sun players just had a lot of Sky history to deal with as they came into their own ... but, come into their own they did!

:-)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps in your era. On the other hand there was a gentleman who came out of the hay fields of Kansas back in the 50's and had marched with (and later instructed) the Hutchinson Sky Ryders, was recruited into the Air Corps D&B Corps stationed in Washington, D.C. under the direction of Truman Crawford, and upon honorable discharge from the service became a member of the New York Skyliners. If you should ever get the opportunity to listen to a Fleetwood album (I believe they are making CD's of some of their classic albums now) "Portrait In Brass" there is a solo selection of one John "Suitcase" Simpson that will simply melt your bones. He plays Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" on a G-D piston/slide Getzen Baritone. Now being able to play "Rhapsody In Blue" on a 3 valve "G" Baritone correctly and with proper finesse is one thing, but to play that piece with proper technique and finesse on the above mentioned instrument puts this man in a very rare atmosphere. Sometime back in the early 60's he entered an Individual contest on Baritone. He scored a 99.9 by the horn judge, Mr. Don Angelica by name. It is/was the highest score ever given to a performer by Angelica. On the comment portion Angelica stated "Although I can find nothing wrong in your performance here tonight, I can't give you a perfect score, no one is perfect." If you get that opportunity to listen to Mr. Simpson on that "Portrait In Brass" album, you try to tell me that he isn't perfect. This guy could make your typical, everyday garden hose sound like a Bach Strad.

You are absolutely correct. I'd take Simpson and Hightower any day of the week!

You are absolutely correct. I'd take Simpson and Hightower any day of the week!

Yep, and when you're done with John and Bill, there's a young man named Ruben Ariola that you have to get by before you get to be called the "greatest who ever marched."

Plus even then, we New Yorkers remember a guy named Patrick Tully from OLC Ramblers who was as good as anyone I've ever heard.

And does the name Baby John Chalmus ring any bells?

Bob Gaff anyone? Sully from North Star and Bridgemen?

Can you say Jerome Kimbrough?

I've heard the guy you've anointed, and he's no slouch, but I think it might be a bit early for the coronation.

There's a couple of other heirs to the throne to be cleared up.

Would you settle for the Mid-West?

Yep, and when you're done with John and Bill, there's a young man named Ruben Ariola that you have to get by before you get to be called the "greatest who ever marched."

Plus even then, we New Yorkers remember a guy named Patrick Tully from OLC Ramblers who was as good as anyone I've ever heard.

I've heard the guy you've anointed, and he's no slouch, but I think it might be a bit early for the coronation.

Thanks you Godfather. :smile:

Sully says hi,was hanging out with him about a month ago.

Perhaps in your era. On the other hand there was a gentleman who came out of the hay fields of Kansas back in the 50's and had marched with (and later instructed) the Hutchinson Sky Ryders, was recruited into the Air Corps D&B Corps stationed in Washington, D.C. under the direction of Truman Crawford, and upon honorable discharge from the service became a member of the New York Skyliners. If you should ever get the opportunity to listen to a Fleetwood album (I believe they are making CD's of some of their classic albums now) "Portrait In Brass" there is a solo selection of one John "Suitcase" Simpson that will simply melt your bones. He plays Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" on a G-D piston/slide Getzen Baritone. Now being able to play "Rhapsody In Blue" on a 3 valve "G" Baritone correctly and with proper finesse is one thing, but to play that piece with proper technique and finesse on the above mentioned instrument puts this man in a very rare atmosphere. Sometime back in the early 60's he entered an Individual contest on Baritone. He scored a 99.9 by the horn judge, Mr. Don Angelica by name. It is/was the highest score ever given to a performer by Angelica. On the comment portion Angelica stated "Although I can find nothing wrong in your performance here tonight, I can't give you a perfect score, no one is perfect." If you get that opportunity to listen to Mr. Simpson on that "Portrait In Brass" album, you try to tell me that he isn't perfect. This guy could make your typical, everyday garden hose sound like a Bach Strad.

John Simpson was one of my brass instructors for the 1976 1977 Colts... I've heard him play live many times....

Jim Mason was the arranger and lead brass dude at the time.

I marched for Col. Truman Crawford in the 2002 2003 Royal Airs Alumni.

Dave "poontang" Lang was a better technical soloist than John Simpson....IMHO...pb

All opinions are subjective, thus equally valid. When a performer gets to a certain level, he/she enters a realm of peers. There is no "best", only different specialties. (Of course, that's just my opinion.)

I grew up listening to Hightower, Simpson, Gaff and Chalmus and you can add Dave Lang to that peer group, along with Doug Kenyon and Ray Fallon.

For the record, I wrote a couple of Colt's charts, with solo features for Dave Lang. (Jim M. didn't do all the arranging.) It was wonderful to know there was a cat who could play just about anything emanating from the end of a pencil. Dave was an arranger's dream.

All opinions are subjective, thus equally valid. When a performer gets to a certain level, he/she enters a realm of peers. There is no "best", only different specialties. (Of course, that's just my opinion.)

I grew up listening to Hightower, Simpson, Gaff and Chalmus and you can add Dave Lang to that peer group, along with Doug Kenyon and Ray Fallon.

For the record, I wrote a couple of Colt's charts, with solo features for Dave Lang. (Jim M. didn't do all the arranging.) It was wonderful to know there was a cat who could play just about anything emanating from the end of a pencil. Dave was an arranger's dream.

Thanks to another one of my GREAT mentors....

Frank - you rock the house....djk pb

:worthy:

I just had to take oxygen due to hyperventilation at being mentioned with folks who played at that alititude.

Frank, how do you want that $100, cashier's check or AMEX Travelers' Checks?

Yikes! I'm happy to be able to start an argument on a subject like this, much less get compared to these guys!!!

Gonna go practice my trombone now until the swelling in my head goes down.... :smile:

BTW, folks as Frank said that's His opinion, I'm not crazy enough to put myself at that level!!!

Thanks you Godfather. :smile:

Sully says hi,was hanging out with him about a month ago.

Man the idea of you two guys paired up with horns.... :smile::worthy:

Add Kalber, Brian Law, maybe Fannette!!!

Throw in Stevie Jones and my kid Kevin!!!

Be like dying and going to low brass Heaven...

And does the name Ruby Begonia strike a familiar note. Here comes the judge. Here comes the judge.

Sorry couldn't resist. :smile: