Corps Sizes

I think our historians need to double check when the limit became a rule. In 1972, I am not sure anyone had 128. The Kingsmen were perhaps the smallest national champ. I believe they had 38 horns. In 1973, you could sense the activity was about to flourish because 1972 did turn out to be a success and DCI was going to make it.

Competiting against Madison in 1974, IIRC, they had well over 128. I believe the 128 came into effect for 1975. The 135 came into affect in the early 80's. Many corps (I know 27th and PR) had spares that would wear the uniform and stand in the endzone. The 150 rule is new.

I'll stand corrected if someone has better proof.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think our historians need to double check when the limit became a rule. In 1972, I am not sure anyone had 128. The Kingsmen were perhaps the smallest national champ. I believe they had 38 horns. In 1973, you could sense the activity was about to flourish because 1972 did turn out to be a success and DCI was going to make it.

Competiting against Madison in 1974, IIRC, they had well over 128. I believe the 128 came into effect for 1975. The 135 came into affect in the early 80's. Many corps (I know 27th and PR) had spares that would wear the uniform and stand in the endzone. The 150 rule is new.

Well I know that at least in 1988 the limit was still 128.

Well I know that at least in 1988 the limit was still 128.

Scott, Do you realize we actually had 131 or something like that on the field in 1988? If you count the 2 equipment girls who were on the field the whole show and technically members I believe we actually marched too many people. I've counted the people in the picture and I'm pretty sure there was only 1 or 2 alternates who didn't march, but we had like 133 in the picture.

Scott, Do you realize we actually had 131 or something like that on the field in 1988? If you count the 2 equipment girls who were on the field the whole show and technically members I believe we actually marched too many people. I've counted the people in the picture and I'm pretty sure there was only 1 or 2 alternates who didn't march, but we had like 133 in the picture.

Ha, that's funny, I didn't realize that. Maybe they'll strip us of our 11th place finish. :tongue:

One of our resident historians can probably check on this for me, but I remember in 73 or 74 there was a merger of Wisc. corps that resulted in a corps called "The Thing" (I may be way off base, but if memory serves me correctly, they morphed into Pioneer).

The corps was huge! I remember being in front of them in a parade, and they had about 30 rifles!

The corps was obviously WELL over 128.

Anyone else out there remember "The Thing"?

3 solo soprano

6 lead soprano

6 second soprano

6 third soprano

3 mellophone

3 french horn

4 first baritone

4 second baritone

4 third baritone

3 contrabass

Total 42

We were the smallest horn line in the top twelve that year and also the smallest line to ever win the title.

Total membership was 108 including 10 rifles.

Edited by Powderkeg

Why LancerLegend, I am amazed at this historical blooper of yours.....your recollections are usually spot on here in the DCP world. The limit was 128 all the way through the 80's and 90's. The new century saw the 135 limit followed after only a hand ful of years by the 150.

:tongue:

One of our resident historians can probably check on this for me, but I remember in 73 or 74 there was a merger of Wisc. corps that resulted in a corps called "The Thing" (I may be way off base, but if memory serves me correctly, they morphed into Pioneer).

The corps was huge! I remember being in front of them in a parade, and they had about 30 rifles!

The corps was obviously WELL over 128.

Anyone else out there remember "The Thing"?

Oh, yeah.......IIRC, it was a merger between the Cedarburg Thunderbolts and St. Patrick's Imperials. I think they only existed as "the Thing" for one year before the morph to Pioneer. Don't remember much else, esp. regarding numbers. (Brian Tolzmann, are you out there?)

Then they boosted it up to 135 because more and more people were joining the pit and colorguard, throughout the activity, and hornlines were getting smaller. So, to maintain proportion, they allowed more members. This move to 150 I think had no real merit, and was done as one of the many rules introduced by George Hopkins to further mutate the activity.

Uhhhhh, no. Hornlines were not getting smaller. In general, in the decade or so leading up to the switch to 135, hornlines in the top 12 were around the 64-68 member range. Occasionally there would be a 72 person line or a hornline in the 56-60 range, but they were few and far between. As for your second point, it doesn't even deserve a response.

DCI had no size limit for the first 4 years (72-75).

Madison marched about 135 in 75.

The 128 member limit went into effect in 1976.

My understanding is that the main motivation was competitive parity. Fuel costs were also an issue (it was the 70s after all).