Amazing Grace

You sure about first in 1992? I could have sworn the first time I heard it was finals retreat in 1990 in Buffalo.

HH

Thought so, but I'd have to defer to someone who marched that year to verify.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally view the PR version of Amazing Grace so wonderful that the corps should make it available for us past corps people who would like it played for our funerals.

I personally view the PR version of Amazing Grace so wonderful that the corps should make it available for us past corps people who would like it played for our funerals.

Yikes! The mortality card!

Puppet

Empire Statesmen (DCA) are doing an arrangement of amazing grace as the ballad this year.

Phantom Hornline= :tongue:

Empire Statesmen (DCA) are doing an arrangement of amazing grace as the ballad this year.

Phantom Hornline= :tongue:

MSJ has played it for years as a warmup....goosebumps

:smile:

As much as I LOVE PR's arrangement of 'Amazing', I have found what I think might be a more expressive and dynamic version. It's a Brass Band arrangement by William Himes, and has been recorded by the Central Ohio Brass Band. :tongue:

It has also been adapted by Brio Brass here in Minnesota, making small changes for our type of instrumentation (mellos, frenchies, flugels & a pic, instead of cornets and altos).

If you can find a video version or mp3 somewhere, I'd like to see it.

Brio recorded it about 2 years ago, but I don't think it's available in general.

Pat

The Bill Himes arrangement is by far my favorite arrangement of Amazing Grace. We got to play that my junior year of high school in concert band, and it's stuck with me. I used to have a brass band recording of it, but it got lost in the shuffle of computers a couple years ago. There are some others that are okay (the Ticheli arrangement is all right, but I think overplayed), but I feel like the Himes is the most expressive.

The IUP Marching Band has been closing their shows (other than halftime) for forever and a year. Ok, it seems that long. During their concert concert at the end of the season they begin by "singing," really oooohhhs then aaahhhs before playing.