What Has Drum Corps Has Done For You?

After all these years (for some of us), what has corps done for you.

For me, it brought me out of a shell. I became more outgoing and more sure of myself. The Army also added some more, but drum corps gave me a lot of the attitude I have today. Besides that, I have soaked up all those great lessons from those bygone days and use them in my teaching.

It has taught me a spirit of excellence and it has also brought me from being a shy girl to one who is very bold and outspoken.

It has also taught me how to accept and be diverse in life and with talents. I learned how to play the drums through drum corps although I was a horn player. It has taught me that no matter what life may bring you sometimes that you can do and overcome anything if you put your mind to it.

It has taught me the importance of family and friends. The drum corps I marched with were very focused on togetherness, unity, and a spirit of a family etc. I have two extended families and I love them both!

It has taught me to stare adversity in the face.

The most important thing it has done....It has brought me the love of my life and my son whom I never would've met had it not been for drum corps.

Edited by Lancerlady

I believe anyone who has read my posts over the years has suffered through my rants.

I was always "the little guy" with the wise a** attitude.

I was 14, attending Music & Art High School - one of the best such in the country - 4.0 average, every University wanted me: blah, blah.

Then I met Carmen Cluna and my life changed forever.

St. Joseph Patron Cadets, Brooklyn NY.

Community, self sacrifice, Unity. How to be a single part of a whole rather than a star. Oh yeah, self control.

Got a sense of humor and my nickname, too.

Fancy that?!

Puppet

• 4 months later...

Some of the best friends a person could ever be lucky enough to have - including one particularly good one who's coming for a visit this weekend.

A strong backbone and an iron will.

A belief in acheiving the impossible.

The ability to work through even the toughest problems.

And after 6 years of conducting, killer arms that look pretty darn good on an old lady! :tongue:

Cheers!

Karen

I guess that says it all!

Quite honestly,were it not for my first corps and corps director,I would most likely be dead or imprisoned.I owe Him my life.

Quite honestly,were it not for my first corps and corps director,I would most likely be dead or imprisoned.I owe Him my life.

On second thought... I won't post mine.

The two "H"es...