2006 DCA Championships

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they did. And in those years, the Brigs dominated the circuit, much the same as the Bucs have dominated the last 4 years.

Bucs have been doing a very good job for the past 4 years. I enjoy the competition they give us, and they set the standard that we need to be to finally beat them. They ARE good and you cant say they arent. This year will be interesting, No one can know that anyone will beat the bucs until we see the shows.

If Bush would have won, I would have thought "Sure, that makes sense."

If Cabs would have won, I would have thought "Sure, that makes sense."

If Empire would have won, I would have thought "Sure, that makes sense."

Bucs won, and I thought "Sure, that makes sense."

Wow..... for DCP, you're making too much sense here, Tom. :smile:

Fran

Wow..... for DCP, you're making too much sense here, Tom. :smile:

Fran

Too much sense for DCP!

Consider that post framed and laminated.

Everyone can appreciate and agree upon the value of strong execution. It's the General Effect category that is more troublesome. GE has as many meanings as the size and LOCATION of the event, the crowd.

No matter what judging system is put in place, there will be loopholes in achieving purity. All we should ever ask of our circuits is to put forth a system they think best. I think DCA works hard to do exactly that.

Remember, at any event with 25 competing groups, 24 of those groups go home a little disappointed.

I agree. DCA is a lot like college football. It's fun to argue about this stuff. But I would say, that barring a few minor exceptions, the best corps has won over the last several years. And certainly more often than not. When the Brigs were winning, they were undeniable. The Bucs have been undeniable the last four years.

Yes, GE must be very difficult to adjudicate. That's partly why I feel things should be more so weighted towards execution than effect. I mean, how do you gauge what is effective? GE is too subjective.

For me, what really hardens my nipples is to hear a hornline attack a note together, in tune, at a soft volume level with no pit or battery playing. Many casual listeners might dismiss that as easy, or simple, but I think it's one of the toughest things to achieve in this activity.... to do it well that is. That's why we have trained adjudicators out there on the field and in the box. They are suppose to know what's difficult to achieve, and what is effective. Anyone who has played a brass instrument since an early age knows how easy a chromatic or diatonic scale is. Yet when a line plays a chromatic or diatonic run, the audience oohs and ahhs. (Again....if it's done relatively well) We all know that's easy ####. And the audience reaction shouldn't facilitate a better GE score, or should it? (Perhaps this would be better as a whole new thread. I am going off on a tangent I didn't intend)

I am going to start a new thread... "How do you define GE?"

Bush won horns over Empire? Was Bush on Bb?...and were they wearing briefs?...or perhaps their hornline was instructed by an aborigne witch doctor.

Both were great, but in my opinion 2006 Bush's brassline was simply out of this world.

I remember standing around with a few 'Gades buddies, then we heard this explosion of power and we were, like "Who the hell is THAT??"

It was the Bushwacker hornline. Not sure about the briefs question though.

Both were great, but in my opinion 2006 Bush's brassline was simply out of this world.

I remember standing around with a few 'Gades buddies, then we heard this explosion of power and we were, like "Who the hell is THAT??"

Bush started using Bb horns in 2005. Most of the guys in the line wore boxer briefs. In lieu of using G bugles, the girls all wore G strings. It was required. So there was some respect for tradition there.

Edited by Bushsop89

The parking blow was pretty interesting that night.Bush was playing right across from the Renegades and Dream.

Renegades started playing at or around the same time Bush was playing their closer.Interesting to see the reactions on so many faces.:)

... and Bush certainly had a hornline that deserved a win. Very clean.

Heard them in the lot, as they were warming up next to us.

After watching the show, wasnt upset they took brass over us (one that I actually could FINALLY understand)