How would you define A class?

This was just brought up in another topic but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

How would you define the skill set / design of A class.

As a long time director of a regional A class unit I struggle on a yearly basis with this. The expectations for this class never quite seem to match up with what is defined on the sheets.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO JOKE.

Seems this year the judges don't have a clue either. I would appreciate WGI and the circuits more if they would do a bit more education for judges. Showing a few videos of championships doesn't cut it. Not everyone has cookie cutter shows....although if it keeps going like this, all shows will look and sound the same. I miss the days when guards had their own idenitiy.

NO JOKE.

Seems this year the judges don't have a clue either. I would appreciate WGI and the circuits more if they would do a bit more education for judges. Showing a few videos of championships doesn't cut it. Not everyone has cookie cutter shows....although if it keeps going like this, all shows will look and sound the same. I miss the days when guards had their own idenitiy.

It's been a REALLY bad adjudicating year for the A Class, that first block of SA guards at the Indy Regional was a judging travesty. Mismangement of numbers and placings really hurt some groups in that opening prelim round. . .

A class is about demonstrating basic skills, I thought: movement, equipment, design, effect.

We've written our show to the box 5 description on the A class sheets, which, as a first year guard, I think is the smart thing to do. We've also hammered our kids on technique, technique, technique...

At the Dallas WGI regional my guard was called out for shoulders-- not everyone had their shoulders rounded the same way while attempting the triad. The fact that they were even attempting it and being successful (except for their shoulders) was ignored. This was the only negative comment on the movement tape.

Clean and consistent technique for a toss was ignored in favor of calling out about the "double" the sabres threw (it was a triple) and calling out "drops". No comments about recovering from the drops.

We got 2 negative comments from EA judge-- placement of equipment outside the performance area was "messy", and one drill set wasn't exactly right. But our score was a 13. I would have expected a 14.5 or higher based on the rest of the comments we received.

Do I sound bitter? I'm not. Our kids learned a lot from the experience and I think they'll come away from it stronger, but it is frustrating as a designer/instructor to have positive comments all season and think you're headed in the right direction just to find out that you're not-- or to be lead to believe that you're not. The difficult part is turning all the negative into positive for a group of performers who are still so young.

One of the board members in our circuit has a daughter that competes in figure skating. We talked this weekend about how much more clear things would be if we had "compulsories" like they do......certain skills you MUST display at each level, and also deductions if you go over the skill level you are supposed to be competing at.

Even when artistry is being rewarded, it keeps people more focused on good training and being thorough with technique instead of pushing kids to do more difficult skills without having the muscular control and development needed.

Now, that said, I'd hate to be the one trying to decide what skills fit at each level......

One of the board members in our circuit has a daughter that competes in figure skating. We talked this weekend about how much more clear things would be if we had "compulsories" like they do......certain skills you MUST display at each level, and also deductions if you go over the skill level you are supposed to be competing at.

Even when artistry is being rewarded, it keeps people more focused on good training and being thorough with technique instead of pushing kids to do more difficult skills without having the muscular control and development needed.

Now, that said, I'd hate to be the one trying to decide what skills fit at each level......

I think compulsories in the A class especially are a great idea. Then when a group has the money to bring in a high priced, experienced designer it is still on the kids to achieve certain skills. Compulsory skills are a part of almost every subjective judging activity, gymnastics, fiqure skating, baton twirling to name a few. This thread should be fun to watch!!

A few years ago, I was totally anti compulsories. However, after the realization that the A class is litterally a blood bath, and without something objective to offset the subjective, the class is only going to get worse.

Perhaps an exploratory committee is needed?

A few years ago, I was totally anti compulsories. However, after the realization that the A class is litterally a blood bath, and without something objective to offset the subjective, the class is only going to get worse.

Perhaps an exploratory committee is needed?

One also has to wonder, that with the mass exodus of WGI judges, is the A class really getting properly adjudicated?

I think until someone within WGI steps up to steer the ship, this is only going to get worse.

You can see that the number of SA groups signed up for Worlds this year is drastically down. Now did the economy play a part in that? Sure. . .but I also think alot of directors and groups are just fed up.

I know that WGI had to advert a near Coup d'état from nearly all the directors in that first SA prelim round at the Indy regional.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

One day WGI will realize that most of their $$$ comes from the A guard (and now Regional A guards) that compose the vast majority of their population and address commentary and scheduling toward THESE groups rather than catering predominantly to the 60-80 groups that make up World Class.

I think compulsories are an interesting idea, but younger designers and less experienced staff probably would struggle in trying to fit the skills in and keep the flow of the show going. I think a set of skills to strive for is good which is what this discussion will hopefully breed.

I think a big problem in A class right now is guards focus on one aspect of the triad and blatantly ignore the others. I hate seeing guards that are much better at dancing than spinning, for instance, but can't even toss a solid confident triple. A class should be about establishing a base of skills to enhance the performer and the show.

Everyone should be achieving the most basic skills and when appropriate (say within specific weapon lines or soloists) push the boundaries closer to open class (for growth purposes)

As far as movement goes (my favorite) I think they need to exhibit safe techniques and confidence as well as the basics (feet in time, pointed feet, not hyperextending anything, showing control in the limbs and a lifted core) while the staff should give them opportunities to openly express the idea of the show through the face and whatever else they find appropriate to the show (such as establishing relationships if its a love show etc.)