How would you define A class?

I for one would still like to know what a basic skill is in the A class. No one has ever been able to explain it to me. Also I think the age range is too broad. A guard from a college with the right instructor is going to be able to handle and perform much more then a guard made up of HS age kids and younger.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hhmm Well, from the moment I learned of WGI and figured out how the classes worked, A class has always meant "beginning". Open was "intermediate" and world was "advanced". There are some A groups who should be in Open, some Open groups that should be in A, and some world groups who should just go home.

A class - it should be all about basics and presenting a logical production. Working with the basics (drop spins, double time, simple tosses, etc) the choreography should be based and come from these movements. Those more comfortable with the basics would/should explore more creative and inventive ways of doing things - which would set themselves up for a logical step up in to the Open class. Movement should be approached the same way. *i hope this makes sense*

A class is not the place for esoteric show concepts. More often than not (and there are some exceptions), the performers are not at a level where they can easily achieve the perfomance aspects needed to pull off those "weird" or "intelligent" programs (the old Bishop Kearny shows of 1996 and 1997 come to my mind).

I think the the A class saw it's best years in the mid to late 1990s and early 2000s. The programs that made WGI finals were logical, straight forward, and to the point. Entertaining and educational (for the students). I urge you (whoever is reading this) to go back and watch the A class champions from 1995-2000. And then pop in the medalists from 2007 and 2008. Completely different approaches.

I think WGI ought to invest in educating the educators (instructors/designers) in what is appropriate/necessary for each class. I know I would be thrilled.

I think the the A class saw it's best years in the mid to late 1990s and early 2000s. The programs that made WGI finals were logical, straight forward, and to the point. Entertaining and educational (for the students). I urge you (whoever is reading this) to go back and watch the A class champions from 1995-2000. And then pop in the medalists from 2007 and 2008. Completely different approaches.

I think WGI ought to invest in educating the educators (instructors/designers) in what is appropriate/necessary for each class. I know I would be thrilled.

To counter your discussion. I have always felt that the top tier or A class (the ones who make finals at WGI) should represent the best of A class in that they are showing skill sets (both in design and performance) that would put them comfortably in the middle of the pack for Open class, or at least you look at it and it becomes evident that they could succeed in Open class at a local level, and maybe even have a shot at finals at WGI Championships the following year.

I also have to disagree with your comment about the BEST shows being mid 1990s-2000. I thought last year's A class was one of the best in several years. Consistency of technique, interesting (and in some cases unique) show design, and attention to detail that I feel have been lacking for several years were evident from all of last year's finalists. I think even 15th place could have been top 10 if they had designed the shows two years earlier.

Edited by quegrawks

We hear that we are supposed to pick shows that will allow us to be remembered. We are also told to stay away from the ballad-type show that's so popular in our class because so many groups choose this route.

Yet, the shows that are doing well competitively are the ballad/slow shows that are "cookie-cutter" in their design, staging and choreography. It seems as though there is a formula for doing well in Scholastic A. If you choose to deviate from that formula then you aren't rewarded for it.

Our staff is already talking about next year, saying that we should just do a "cookie-cutter" show because that's what does well. That's really unfortunate.

Can somebody please help Scholastic A?!

THANK YOU! That's kind of my issue. I decided to step out of the cookiecutting box and have been getting slapped on the hand all season. My kids however have been sort of rock stars when they get back in the stands. The great debate is a. be fan fave or b. place top 3. I can't bring myself to do same ol'-same ol'. To have to listen to that day in day out for 5 months....no thanks.

Seems to be the question of the season, so many instructors I have spoken with are pondering the same questions. WE are encouraged to "do something different" and "get out of your comfort zone" but yet when you look at the projected top 15 for nationals quite a few of them are right in there with the what is the "normal" A route.

Most of the instructors I know who tried to get "out of their comfort zone" are experiencing very frustrating seasons and at this point are planning to go right back to safe route next season, which can only mean more similarities between A guards next year.

I think it will take a few "different" A guards to make finals and a couple to get medals for instructors to feel comfortable taking what they consider to be a risk next year. I am not confident this will happen in 2009 so look for even more similar shows in 2010.

I don't think they mean the idea for shows should be out of the box, but perhaps you approach the way the show is put together with the triad should be a little different.

A class is not a place to really try something out of the ordinary idea wise, imo.

is this something that should be brought to WGI's attention, or do you think it would fall on deaf ears? maybe the SA coordinator would like to hear about this?

i'd send an email, but it just sort of seems like whining to me, and i don't want to burn any bridges in a judged activity that can be political.

is this something that should be brought to WGI's attention, or do you think it would fall on deaf ears? maybe the SA coordinator would like to hear about this?

i'd send an email, but it just sort of seems like whining to me, and i don't want to burn any bridges in a judged activity that can be political.

everyone knows that a handful of colorguard directors control the judges in this activity! :tounge2::doh:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay