depth of vocabulary,world class

dugg

Ok I get it in World class we want to see new, fresh and different. We want to see groups do tricks we haven't seen. However, there have been a few colorguards that have attempted this and IMO failed. When you have a line of 8 attempt and 3 achieve by any standards that is a F. Where does the line get drawn? When I see that moment happen in a world class show it just reminds me of when we used to get together in someones back yard and go "look what I can do" and none of us could do it but maybe once.

World class needs to push the boundries of technique and training also.

Ok I get it in World class we want to see new, fresh and different. We want to see groups do tricks we haven't seen. However, there have been a few colorguards that have attempted this and IMO failed. When you have a line of 8 attempt and 3 achieve by any standards that is a F. Where does the line get drawn? When I see that moment happen in a world class show it just reminds me of when we used to get together in someones back yard and go "look what I can do" and none of us could do it but maybe once.

World class needs to push the boundries of technique and training also.

Well said! I don't care about seeing tricks, especially if you're not very good at them. In World Class, I want to see finesse, nuance, control, and a seamless combination of body and equipment. I love groups like Avon, Center Grove (not so much this year, though), Pride, and Aimachi; groups that are not known for crazy tricks.

on point, there is way more to "vocabulary" than crazy tricks strung together, if everyone emulated that than it would be a very dropsy wgi!

A-friggin-men.

I had an instructor you would watch the flags since he loved his flags and would clap and freak out if he saw something cute happened

out on the floor. He opened my eyes to taking in the whole show instead of just the tricks. Tricks are fine, but you can see true discipline

and show design when you look to the areas the designers are trying to make you not see.

Especially transitions to putting your equipment down. A top guard will do it with ease and it will look pretty clean, they'll still perform

as they do it.

give examples,define and discuss what is meant by depth of vocabulary pertaining to the world classes.

Depth of vocabulary in the World Class?

Let's avoid the handbook definition people.

Equipment and body fused together to the point where one cannot be seperated from the other. World class books may be stylistically familiar but feel completely unique to the show you are watching. Every toss should be different and meaningful to the program. Body phrasing should be non repetitive offering new skills constantly for the viewer.

World Class teams should be offering programs which have never been seen before both visually and through their soundtrack. If that soundtrack is not completely new, they should be taking the show to completely new and unexpected levels so that they are redefining what the sound track means to the guard viewer.

I want to watch a world class show and remember it for all that it offers and because it is a unique experience. There are great world performances that did not make finals that I will always remember because they had all these factors. Sometimes these shows were executed so well that I could not understand why they were not finalists and sometimes not. But they were special and fit the class while other teams who attempted little excelled scorewise.

Then there are teams that compete in World and offer none of the above to the viewer. A team who does the same toss over and over paired with the same jump skills over and over should not be in world. A world team that offers nothing new to the viewer that they could not see in any other class does not belong in the class.

Of course you need to execute whatever you do to get full credit. If a team throws great 7's , it should be rewarded appropriately which should be different from the team that just throws 5's or 4's. The teams that go out there equipment wise should get appropriate credit for the attempt though which in my book is just as high as a group that executes mediocre skills well.

I have watched almost everyone on the WGI network now and I know my picks for the Top 15 based on this criteria. I wonder what will happen in Dayton.

Do you mind providing examples of the shows you think offer these things, recently or in the past? This would give us more of an incite to what you consider being a well rounded show since opinions vary and vastly.

Also I think this conversation we're having has been articulate and not very handbook, not sure where you are seeing that at.