Arena Drum Corps East has Launched

Anything that promotes adding participants and events; getting corps in front of audiences (maybe even adding some new fans) is OK by me.

The marching aspect would eliminate our group. But I think , from what I hear on these posts, it would appeal to many other corps who want a competitive outlet for a smaller M&M group.

One factor you might consider: NOT to be exclusive, but size DOES matter.

I don't know what the number is , BUT, there is such a thing as TOO many for an indoor performance (IMO); from a listeners point of reference,

Good Luck with the endeavor, Barry!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that promotes adding participants and events; getting corps in front of audiences (maybe even adding some new fans) is OK by me.

The marching aspect would eliminate our group. But I think , from what I hear on these posts, it would appeal to many other corps who want a competitive outlet for a smaller M&M group.

One factor you might consider: NOT to be exclusive, but size DOES matter.

I don't know what the number is , BUT, there is such a thing as TOO many for an indoor performance (IMO); from a listeners point of reference,

Good Luck with the endeavor, Barry!

The M&M aspect is not as much a factor as you might think, although it would be included in the judging factor one would have to figure in the thought of a group who will just do a park and play show. this has been thought of and is being included in the judging.

As for too many performers? i have heard from so many different aspects on this, it is possble to have 30 to 40 horns on a floor and not blow peoples ears out, it is called "Musicianship" if the music is staged for an indoor format it will perform well indoors just as most corps have adjusted the outdoor show to perform well in a stadium.

The most i can say is to check out the website or just contact us directly for more information, we are currently makeing arrangments to hold a general meeting to start this season this fall and offer to any corps or marching organization to become a part of the ADCEast.

The M&M aspect is not as much a factor as you might think, although it would be included in the judging factor one would have to figure in the thought of a group who will just do a park and play show. this has been thought of and is being included in the judging.

As for too many performers? i have heard from so many different aspects on this, it is possble to have 30 to 40 horns on a floor and not blow peoples ears out, it is called "Musicianship" if the music is staged for an indoor format it will perform well indoors just as most corps have adjusted the outdoor show to perform well in a stadium.

The most i can say is to check out the website or just contact us directly for more information, we are currently makeing arrangments to hold a general meeting to start this season this fall and offer to any corps or marching organization to become a part of the ADCEast.

I have to agree with your assessment of having 30+ horns indoors, along with percussion. Different techniques are required for indoor performance vs. outdoors. One suggestion I will make is that if the performance area is intended to be a basketball court, make it a high school size court, not NCAA. You don't want to be limited in performance venues. Believe me, I've had 100 performers on a high school size court with no room beyond the baselines and things couldn't be any tighter.

Edited by G-horns

I have to agree with your assessment of having 30+ horns indoors, along with percussion. Different techniques are required for indoor performance vs. outdoors. One suggestion I will make is that if the performance area is intended to be a basketball court, make it a high school size court, not NCAA. You don't want to be limited in performance venues. Believe me, I've had 100 performers on a high school size court with no room beyond the baselines and things couldn't be any tighter.

If you've ever been to an indoor show where a large group didn't use that "different" indoor technique, then you know what I mean. :thumbup:

Maybe that's just my taste, tho.

As I said, I'm all for more performance opportunities, for more kinds of groups.

Edited by brassomaniac

Arena drum corps IS an activity worth serious consideration. I've felt that way for several years.

The concept involves more participating groups, smaller budgets, extending the enjoyment of this art form, many new venues to pick from, no fear of weather problems, special lighting effects, etc. It can be like a "working man's" Broadway production of the very popular Blast!

Ultimately, I would prefer the arena drum corps concept to be a component of DCA, making DCA a true "year round" entertainment option for America.

:thumbup:

Very true, my only suggestion would be Jan-April and create a joint venture with TOB as an additional class for indoor.Much like drumlines.The show sponsors would get more out of the musical panel. A broader age range could be infused into the indoor circuit.Maybe more senior guards with an arena guard component thay would allow mixed ages without going World or over 22 only.The Shows would get more participants drawing family and friends for spectators/food.Maybe the Bucs could be sponsors for an additional spring show/championships.I could envision even 3 classes.Small/large arena and minicorps.Then how much more would it be to learn a field show for summer exhibition or more?Coupled with input from DCA's Class A Co-Ordinator, it could be an incubator for DCA.Just my thoughts.

There does not seem to be a size limit for a corps in SDCA

Going to The Drums in the North,this afternoon.

I'll try to get a review in tonight.

I got this from their site:

OVERALL

This is a people's choice competitive association, and, since all performing corps receive an equal share of the ticket proceeds, it is essential that the corps' program be appealing to the general audience.

These guidelines are meant to provide direction and are not intended to limit the performance opportunity of its members.

CORPS PERFORMANCE: (clarified 12/14/08)

Horns: In an arena drum corps show 30 playing horns is ideal; when using more horn players please consider the accoustics. A minimum of 10 horns is preferred.

Guard members are not limited in number. Equipment protection is required.

Percussionists: accoustics should be considered.

MUSIC PERFORMANCE:

The music that is to be played shall be recognizable tunes.

A flag presentation is suggested.

MARCHING PERFORMANCE:

It is preferred that the corps be in motion, however a standstill with or with out a performing color guard is acceptable.

There will not be a pit as there is no front field defined, but, this does not exclude any instruments in the performance.

When the American flag is used it shall be done with respect. The American flag can be posted for most of the performance.

All instruments are to be carried or wheeled on. Wheeled equipment must have inflatable tires or floor protection.

Playing time: 9 to 13 minutes

Corps are to wear shoes that will not mar or scuff the floor or socks.

It is possible that the performance would be to a 360 degree audience.( this consideration is to maximize the ticket sales in the arena setting )

Drill in the arena will be from the 35 yard line to the 35 yard line with a 50 foot depth. When needed or desired the performance may be on a football field.

Edited by JCSeymour