Arena Drum Corps East has Launched

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only quoted you about your last paragraph, about how many small corps died on the vine. Which proves my point about helping and getting involved with corps who could use a hand and not get sidetracked with this BS. Nothing to do with you, other than that. On with the cartoons.

To you it's BS. To others, it's our way of participating in the activity. Sorry if you don't like the cartoons. Hard to believe, but some actually do.

Best of luck this year with Lake Erie Thunder. It sounds as if it'll be great!

All right, where were we? I think there should be a 4 horn - 2 drum minimum....... discuss

From their website statement, it appears that SDCA understands the issues of acoustics and entertainment. And how those might effect their abilty to sell contests/shows and satisfy fans.

The question is how do they do anything about that, aside from the recommendations they've made?

Also 10-80 seems like a large spread of corps size, to compete against one another. But I suppose you could have 2 classes.

Actually, it might be better, for building this, to open it up (seems like they are, in SDCA? - not sure) to a variety of groups, and not worry about whether they might be an assortment of classes/styles, as long as it results in a show which can be sold.

Arena Corps is NOT a bad idea, BUT...... There is too much going on to try to get ANOTHER thing going. Between Indoor Guard and Indoor Drum Line, Winter Drum Corps Camps, HS Music Festivals, SATS tests on the weekend, Sporting events ,Spring/Winter Band Camps,DCA/Mini Corps/Alumni Corps shows, School, Jobs and Family.... How much more can you try to fit in????

Selling this as a way to educate is a farce, Any decent judge will be working TOB, Calvacade, WGI, NJA and the many other smaller indoor assocaiations. This is not a bad idea, but there is no way this would work now. The SDCA has a different approach and may work due to it's location right now. The NY/NJ/PA/DE/MD market is just crammed with way too much and too many corps trying to grab people from out of the same pot.

This sounds like a decent idea if you wanted to expand the way mini corps compete, but there is no way I can see anyone putting out a 50-80 person indoor group these days, especially on the east coast/northeast region.

I think that's what Mike was getting at as well, only not so eloquently. I agree.

Some people need to understand why theres a McDonalds, Burger King and Wendys selling hamburgers. Because they all think they can do better then the other guy. If I had started an indoor association it would be because I thought I could do it better then the other guy. The reason DCI is where its at is because they did it better then the other guys.

I'm sure if SDCA or the east coast version offered something better then WGI, indoor percussion, TOB or whomever, then they will succeed.

When my daughter joined the band was seeing this small band of 25 kids trying to do what the big bands did on the field and it wasn't working. I sent a survey to about 25 small band diectors along the east coast and they overwhelmingly agreed that an indoor curcuit would be of interest. So one why not have mixed shows. That way you have an audience for the promoters. The bands on a more level field and the drum corps get more exposure.

I'm not one to look at why something won't work I'd rather try to find a solution.