Your Old Corps

After reading through all of this, and being new to the Drum Corps world in a new Corps, I can't wait to have experiences like you've all had and help build the very traditions that will be followed in my Corps years from now. I wonder if people will be telling stories of Skippy dressing up as a Devil 10 years from now, or Grant's hilarious outbursts in the stretch circle. The future looks bright.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading through all of this, and being new to the Drum Corps world in a new Corps, I can't wait to have experiences like you've all had and help build the very traditions that will be followed in my Corps years from now. I wonder if people will be telling stories of Skippy dressing up as a Devil 10 years from now, or Grant's hilarious outbursts in the stretch circle. The future looks bright.

if you hang in there long enough and get long in the tooth you will. then they will call you an old fart like the rest of us. :whistle:

The Skyliners made me a better man than I thought I would have been. The lessons I learned there helped me thru Marine Corps Boot Camp, and into the fleet. I can't wait to return once my time in service is done. Nuff said...

A couple of posts on this thread made my mind wake up to this thought: Some way, some how and from the roots up we have been touched and have touched so many people who made and make drum corps what it was and what it is and yes what it will become.

Check out this family tree: In the early 1030s, a guy teen named Tom Costa joined a corps in Brooklyn called the OLPH Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus Drum and Bugle Corps. He learned every instrument which would come in handy as he was asked shortly thereafter to establish and teach a parade corps at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel parish in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

In 1944, the Mount Carmel Cadets entered their first M&M contest and won first prize in Class B. By the '50s working with Hy Dreitzer and Carmen Cluna "Major" Tom Costa continued to organize, teach, and direct other well-known corps in the New York metropolitan area: Our Lady of Loretto; the Nativity Cadets; St. Helena’s Fife, Drum and Bugle Corps; St. Rita’s starter corps; and the fledgling St. Ignatius All Girls Corps who won the Girls Division Championship of DCI in 1975, the last year that division ran. These three men, Tom, Hy & Carmen were at the forefront of a whole new generation of drum corps... more difficult and challenging music and intricately detailed drills. Without a doubt, Tom developed some of the top instructors. Carman Cluna, Joe Genero and Robert “Pepe” Notaro who produced championship corps from the 1960’s on. Joe’s work with the Empire Statesmen produced the 1994 DCA Championship. All three men have been inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. Many people from his corps went on to become important parts of the Skyliners, U.S. Marines Drum Corps, Hurricanes, and Hawthorne Caballeros.

Tom Costa was inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame in 1981. His drum corps legacy runs from Hy & Joe & Pepe and let's not forget Tommy Martin all who inspired players players like Hall of fame soprano Jimmy Maldanado, Bari/Euph Hall of famer Rubin Aeriola, Ray Richardson and his brother "sidemouth", Dirty Eddie and many more from St. Iggies to the Vanguard, The CMCC Warriors and others; to Carmen who gave us instructors like Ted Schwartzberg who not only taught drill for the Trumbull Troubadors and the Bengal Lancers who went on under his tutelage to win the DCI class "A" Championship but was a DCA judge. Or Barry Swain - Former DCI Visual Caption Head , Administrator, DCE (Drum Corps East) Chief Judge,DCWI,(Drum Corp West Indies),Chief Judge. Both Hy & Carmen teamed up with drum legends Don Quin and then Eric Perrilloux who not only played Sky they taught and produced instructors like John Oddo and jimmy Drost.

OK, so I'm rambling and it's 1:30 in the morning. But what I mean is that there is within all of us who reside on whichever branch of the Drum Corps tree, a trunk which leads us to the roots and whether your particular tree grew in Brooklyn like mine, or Racine or Kenosha or Oak Park or Garden City or Reading ... at one point the branches have intertwined or some pollen-laden bee lands on the flower of your tree or mine we share what went before. So your old corps is my old corps because we all share a similar tradition of ethos and pathos and an ever changing growth.

And just like the family we are - it's good to see our little sibling rivalries pop up on these pages from time to time.

Puppet

And starting with a corps that is just starting out can be a real treat. I started with a corps that was reformed after taking off a season. Whole different set of experiences than spending all your time in an established top corps. If the corps continues to improve amd survive, you can look back and say "I helped do that". :devil: