St. Kevins = WOW!

OK.....so I had a chance to catch St. Kevins tonight at the Buglers Hall of Fame North American Championships in Bridgeport Ct. All I have to say is.....

WOW!!!!!

Now.....I have to be totally honest.....and to the members of St. Kevins.......please forgive me for this....(I think I can say this, and you can give me a bye since I helped your mini corps out in 2006....).....

I have never really been a huge fan of St. Kevins. I did appreciate what you were trying to accomplish. I made some good friends along the way since 2006. But.....I was not a fan of what you played, or how you played it.

Tonight was a TOTALLY different story! I have to tell you guys........you REALLY changed my mind tonight. I think you guys were on some kind of mission. The raw emotion that was coming from those horns, the incredible accuracies of some of those very difficult rythyms, and the pure enjoyment I had as I listened too you play, made me a new fan of SKEK. I could actually sit there and listen to you all night. I wish I could have been around back in the 60's. Because if this is any indication of what you did back then, then every accolade you had....then, now and in the future is well deserved. THIS is the way drum corps should be! :lol:

Oh.....and one more thing.......Frank (Buzzy) Bergdoll should be enshrined in the Library of Congress!!!! He is my new hero! His arrangements were the best I have heard from St. Kevins, and his solo work was even better. He IS a GOD!!!!!! :tongue::lol::thumbup:

I can't wait to see you guys again!!!!!

All my best to you SKEK!!!! A job VERY well done!!! :tongue:

Edited by FPonzo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.....so I had a chance to catch St. Kevins tonight at the Buglers Hall of Fame North American Championships in Bridgeport Ct. All I have to say is.....

WOW!!!!!

Now.....I have to be totally honest.....and to the members of St. Kevins.......please forgive me for this....(I think I can say this, and you can give me a bye since I helped your mini corps out in 2006....).....

I have never really been a huge fan of St. Kevins. I did appreciate what you were trying to accomplish. I made some good friends along the way since 2006. But.....I was not a fan of what you played, or how you played it.

Tonight was a TOTALLY different story! I have to tell you guys........you REALLY changed my mind tonight. I think you guys were on some kind of mission. The raw emotion that was coming from those horns, the incredible accuracies of some of those very difficult rythyms, and the pure enjoyment I had as I listened too you play, made me a new fan of SKEK. I could actually sit there and listen to you all night. I wish I could have been around back in the 60's. Because if this is any indication of what you did back then, then every accolade you had....then, now and in the future is well deserved. THIS is the way drum corps should be! :lol:

Oh.....and one more thing.......Frank (Buzzy) Bergdoll should be enshrined in the Library of Congress!!!! He is my new hero! His arrangements were the best I have heard from St. Kevins, and his solo work was even better. He IS a GOD!!!!!! :tongue::lol::thumbup:

Thanks, we had a great time today. Outstanding show to be in.

WOW!!!!!

I think you guys were on some kind of mission. The raw emotion that was coming from those horns, the incredible accuracies of some of those very difficult rythyms, and the pure enjoyment I had as I listened too you play, made me a new fan of SKEK. I could actually sit there and listen to you all night. I wish I could have been around back in the 60's. Because if this is any indication of what you did back then, then every accolade you had....then, now and in the future is well deserved. THIS is the way drum corps should be! :thumbup:

Well Frank, take it from someone who was there in the 60's ... St. Kevin's performance last night was vintage ... few corps can elicit emotion the way they do ... their play last night was exactly the way they sounded as they marched to victory at The Dream 59-60-61 and during their magnificent run in 1964 at Nationals, where the placed in the top 5 of the VFW, WO and CYO and once again captured The Dream title ... hearing their rendition of Exodus, Pagliacci and Caravan brought back fond memories ... and you are correct - Bergdoll charts rival those of the greatest arrangers of that or any era ... they are programmed for that emotion factor ... they are a significant part of the drum corps fabric woven in the 50's and 60's ... well done St. Kevin's ... this is your year to shine once again ...

Andy "your cordial MC" Lisko

Well Frank, take it from someone who was there in the 60's ... St. Kevin's performance last night was vintage ... few corps can elicit emotion the way they do ... their play last night was exactly the way they sounded as they marched to victory at The Dream 59-60-61 and during their magnificent run in 1964 at Nationals, where the placed in the top 5 of the VFW, WO and CYO and once again captured The Dream title ... hearing their rendition of Exodus, Pagliacci and Caravan brought back fond memories ... and you are correct - Bergdoll charts rival those of the greatest arrangers of that or any era ... they are programmed for that emotion factor ... they are a significant part of the drum corps fabric woven in the 50's and 60's ... well done St. Kevin's ... this is your year to shine once again ...

Andy "your cordial MC" Lisko

I've always artifcially divided drum corps eras at 1965 with the Royal Aires being the dividing line. For me, prior to 1965, no corps ever came close to the horn lines that St. Kevin's put out. Sometimes they would have 30 or so horns on the field and would leave the place dessimated. and totally entertained.

The family connection there is one of the "feel good" stories in drum corps history.

The only horn quartet I've ever heard that rivaled their sop quartet was St. Joe's/St. Rita's baritone quartet of the late '60s.. Just amazing.

Nice to see them reigning supreme again. A really good post by Mr. Ponzo, who says it without sending them flowers so they knew they earned it. That has to feel good for the St. Kevin's guys. (Not that anyone from Dorchester actually CARES what anyone else thinks!!!!)

WOW!!!!!

Even though I wasn't at this show, I'd like to echo Frank's comments from afar.

I had the good luck to compete against St. Kevin's from their first Class A contest (1957? at Manning Bowl) right on through 1961. I seem to recall that at that Manning Bowl show they were wearing their original uniforms - a white satin blouse, gold cummerbund, and green pants. They later changed to the white cadet jacket with the gold cummerbund and green pants and then ultimately to their famous white jacket, red sash, and green pants.

While we beat them fairly often during the earliest years, as time went on it became harder (to the point of being almost impossible) to defeat them on the field. In either case, however, they were always a joy to watch.

If they've attained anything approaching their former sound, then they're truly an alumni corps that one has to see. And if Frank's comments are anywhere near accurate (which I'm sure they are), then they are there!!

Congratulations!!!

From the SELDEN CADETS ALUMNI....ST. KEVINS was AWESOME :thumbup: ..Back in the 60's when we were defeated by them in the DREAM...take it from us....they were as good last night as they were then....Can't wait to see you guys again. :tongue::lol:

From one of the "new guys" in St Kevins, I have to say that last nights performance was a blast..

I had been asked by a few of the members to come on over and march with them as well as my Alumni Corp, after much thought because of the time involved in marching in 2 Drum Corps, plus doing the Legends of Drum Corp rehearsals time was a major concern for me.

I am nowhere near ready for playing absent the crutch of the music in front of me there.

As we went on in the show the crowd response just drove us. The appreciation of that audience meant a lot to all of us up there performing. Even with one unfortunate gaff... just a little bit embarrassing, but I think it pushed us harder to do better.

Buzzy... for those who do not know him in person, he is absolutely an awesome arranger, and motivator. He expects nothing but the best that you can give in any performance. If it wasn't for him and a few other crossovers between Defenders and St Kevins I probably would not have even attempted to do both Corps.

The men and woman of St Kevins have been absolutely incredible in accepting myself and a few other new faces to their family in the past few months. By the time Plymouth rolls around, I believe people who were there last night and see us then will be completely blown away. When that show gets all the little kinks out, it will bring down the house.

Mr Ponzo, thanks so much for the compliments, and the critique!

P.S. I do believe you cracked a few windshields and windows in the neighborhood there yourself... :thumbup:

WOW!!!!!

Tonight was a TOTALLY different story! I have to tell you guys........you REALLY changed my mind tonight. I think you guys were on some kind of mission. The raw emotion that was coming from those horns, the incredible accuracies of some of those very difficult rythyms, and the pure enjoyment I had as I listened too you play, made me a new fan of SKEK. I could actually sit there and listen to you all night. I wish I could have been around back in the 60's. Because if this is any indication of what you did back then, then every accolade you had....then, now and in the future is well deserved. THIS is the way drum corps should be! :whistle:

Oh.....and one more thing.......Frank (Buzzy) Bergdoll should be enshrined in the Library of Congress!!!! He is my new hero! His arrangements were the best I have heard from St. Kevins, and his solo work was even better. He IS a GOD!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

All my best to you SKEK!!!! A job VERY well done!!! :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words Frank .coming from you , it really means a lot to us.

Mike D.

From one of the "new guys" in St Kevins, I have to say that last nights performance was a blast..

I had been asked by a few of the members to come on over and march with them as well as my Alumni Corp, after much thought because of the time involved in marching in 2 Drum Corps, plus doing the Legends of Drum Corp rehearsals time was a major concern for me.

I am nowhere near ready for playing absent the crutch of the music in front of me there.

As we went on in the show the crowd response just drove us. The appreciation of that audience meant a lot to all of us up there performing. Even with one unfortunate gaff... just a little bit embarrassing, but I think it pushed us harder to do better.

Buzzy... for those who do not know him in person, he is absolutely an awesome arranger, and motivator. He expects nothing but the best that you can give in any performance. If it wasn't for him and a few other crossovers between Defenders and St Kevins I probably would not have even attempted to do both Corps.

The men and woman of St Kevins have been absolutely incredible in accepting myself and a few other new faces to their family in the past few months. By the time Plymouth rolls around, I believe people who were there last night and see us then will be completely blown away. When that show gets all the little kinks out, it will bring down the house.

Mr Ponzo, thanks so much for the compliments, and the critique!

P.S. I do believe you cracked a few windshields and windows in the neighborhood there yourself... :whistle:

I can not wait to see SKEK at the Yankee Rebel's Gas this year with all these reports.

I've always artifcially divided drum corps eras at 1965 with the Royal Aires being the dividing line. For me, prior to 1965, no corps ever came close to the horn lines that St. Kevin's put out. Sometimes they would have 30 or so horns on the field and would leave the place dessimated. and totally entertained.

The family connection there is one of the "feel good" stories in drum corps history.

The only horn quartet I've ever heard that rivaled their sop quartet was St. Joe's/St. Rita's baritone quartet of the late '60s.. Just amazing.

Nice to see them reigning supreme again. A really good post by Mr. Ponzo, who says it without sending them flowers so they knew they earned it. That has to feel good for the St. Kevin's guys. (Not that anyone from Dorchester actually CARES what anyone else thinks!!!!)

Hey Ray-

Actually we do CARE a lot about people' opinions. Many of the choices and changes we have made have been made at the suggestion of a person or persons.

Man did the Royal Aires do some stuff.

BTW- I absolutely agree with your divided drum corps theory.

Flabo