Question for Cadets, past and present

Most of us have some idiosyncracies after marching in drum corps, band and color guard. We walk in step whenever we're in a group; we walk on the lead foot to music, corps or not; I even start stairs on the left foot. But I wonder how much of an adjustment Cadets members have to make when returning to their high school or college bands? Since Cadets are the only marching group I can think of with a right foot lead, it must take a certain amount of time to switch back to the left foot lead, especially after a summer full of marching rehearsals and shows.

Comments?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

There was not too much of an adjustment for me personally. I teach both (leading with the left and right) to this day because of so many programs using mixed meter music. It also helps isolate each foot so that there is no dominate foot.

I have a feeling that it sounds like it would be difficult due to the conditioning we receive for one method or the other, but that once one actually beginsmaking the change, the muscle memory is quickly re-trained.

I have a visual tech that marched Cadets. Occasionally when demonstrating technique or direction changes he'll go into a right-foot lead, which especially causes confusion when he's talking about placements into direction changes or stop and go's or similar stuff.

Cool, thanks for the insights, guys. I hadn't thought of the mixed meter concept.

Garry in Vegas

PS And you guys thought I couldn't start a Cadets thread that didn't involve...ummmmmmmm...all that controversial stuff!

:whistle:

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Cool, thanks for the insights, guys. I hadn't thought of the mixed meter concept.

Garry in Vegas

PS And you guys thought I couldn't start a Cadets thread that didn't involve...ummmmmmmm...all that controversial stuff!

:whistle:

I've marched corps where you march 5/4 and step on the 1 &of2 4, so you do right foot lead a lot during that show. (Appalachian Morning)

I've marched corps where you march 5/4 and step on the 1 &of2 4, so you do right foot lead a lot during that show. (Appalachian Morning)

"Latin Implosion" was in 5/4 for most of the chart...difficult to get into at first, but I kinda trained myself by listening to a brass run of the chart on my Walkman while walking to work at McD's...never had a problem after then!