Albion Grenadiers first and Only WIN

Around 63 I was in school at Brockport. Some guys from the Crusaders Mike Cavaconi (spelling) knew I worked with a couple of Corps and asked me to write for The Brockport Marching Band, well there wasn't one, but we started it and had a blast.

That winter the Emeral Cadets from Rochester had to throw their major out just before their Indoor Rochester contest. They asked me to be a guest major. In those days it was easy say 1 2 3 4 and you were all set. Their drill was written by Vinne Radford a very intense but fun guy to work with.

In the brockport Band we had a guy name Don Miller who marched with Albion. He said Albion was looking for help in Drill. Vinnie Radford had written it but wasn't always there. I went over to practice one night. Worked the Corps and the director, his name was Matt said as soon as I knew the drill I would start getting paid. The Corps was going throught their last run through, I said pick a spot. At that Point Vinnie said there is no rerason for that Matt, Pronti knows what he is doing. I started teach Albion the next week and Drum majored a couple of times.

The true story is that the drill Albion was marching was the same that Vinnie had given the Cadet for Rochester. Of course he knew that I knew it. But anyway, I made $15 buck a rehearsal for the rest of that summer.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but did you guys ever beat Hamburg?

DCA Show

June 4, 1966

Erie, Pennsylvania

1 Syracuse Brigadiers 75.80

2 Albion Grenadiers 70.60

3 Hamburg Kingsmen 70.32

4 Meadville Thunderbirds 62.07

5 Cornplanters/Black Knights 52.87

DCA Show

June 4, 1966

Erie, Pennsylvania

1 Syracuse Brigadiers 75.80

2 Albion Grenadiers 70.60

3 Hamburg Kingsmen 70.32

4 Meadville Thunderbirds 62.07

5 Cornplanters/Black Knights 52.87

I have these scores, but I am not sure it was a DCA sanctioned contest,......do you have a source?

Sorry, don't have the date. I believe it was late July/early Aug.

One last bit of trivia: Our bus driver, Parker Chapman, pulled into a Motel to ask for directions. Didn't see the "keep out" signs in the parking lot and sunk the bus about 6" into the newly paved surface. Got out of there quickly!

what is the source for these scores

what is the source for these scores

I received these scores in a PM. I must assume the source wishes to remain annonymous, otherwise he would have posted them himself. unsure who sanctioned the show. Busy today. I'll try to find out tomorrow.

I will guarantee you it wasnt anyone from Hamburg. They will never admit getting beat by Albion.

TOSCA!!!!

Western NY corps always got "shafted." LOL Hamburg, Dunkirk, Royal Coachmen except Lakeview Shoreliners/Imperial regiment.

June 4 in Erie 1966 was definitely NOT a DCA show...

Dick, you mention a couple of people who fit prominently in Rochester Area drum corps... Mike Cavalcanti (former Cru memeber and great drum corps supporters) and his brother owned Perk Management prior to its bankruptcy - owning virtually every perkins restaurant in New York State in the 80's and 90's... they were also major real estate owners and former landlords for the Patriots in Westmar plaza...

Don Miller was a great guy who went on to a stint as Crusader Guard Captain...

and of course this reminds us that Vinnie Ratford who was so much responsible for the modernization of visual was originally from Western NY... His drills for Brigadiers in the 1950's were legendary... and wrote for many upstate corps including Albion, St. Joe's and Emerald Cadets for Bil McGrath SR. Did Vinnie not live in Albion at the time? or near there?

and you took $15 a rehearsal from these guys? you Robin Hood you!

Here's another bit of Albion Grenadier trivia: Alan Smythe, the famed DM of Interstatesmen was working drill for Springfield Marksmen in 1968. He was procured for a weekend by someone in the Grenadiers to help Vince Bruni clean up our drill for our all or nothing assault on the DCA top ten that year. After rehearsal, Smythe stated that if we really pushed we could overtake the Marksmen in execution M&M at the upcoming Rome, NY show and that if that happened, he would shift his drill teaching allegiance to Albion. Well-not only did we end up beating them in M&M but also in drums and overall score! Smythe, being a man of his word, not only taught drill for the rest of the year but actually moved to the area and became our DM in 1969. Alas, by then the old Grennies had shot their wad and the numbers dwindled until the corps folded after the untimely death of our buisness manager,Matt Ciszek, in the fall of 1969.

As for our all or nothing assault on top ten- we finished 13th, beating such former powerhouses as Archie-Reilly, Pittsburgh Rockets, Les Diplomats and Guelph Royalaires. No Cigar!

I think most of us know where Alan ended up.