Space Chords

Just the chord sequences before and after it. A lot of corps do use the same chord sequence, and I'm also curious to know why.

That's pretty much what I am saying. The chord sequences themselves.

It seems to me you can change it up (The chord sequences) a million ways. Don't get me wrong...some groups have experimented a bit with a few of their own variations. But very few.

Edited by Triple Forte

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I've heard the term "space chords," it's referring to just clusters of notes played by the hornline, not referring to a specific chord progression.

The Blue Stars do a full out chord progression using the opening chords of the 2nd movement of New World Symphony. Heard it in houston, it was epic

F Tuning != space chords

At least not as I understand the meaning of space chords to mean. Space chords are just chromatic clusters that resolve, generally to a major chord. F tuning is a 2 5 1 progression, or it's 4 7 1 variant. It's a standard progression, that dates from the origins of jazz and beyond.

The ending sequence was new to me the first time I heard it...not sure when it came in. Back when I was i the corps, the ending was simply going from loud white noise to a singlemajor chord....with "Close Encounters" stuck in there.

Gotta admit, tho....the ending sequence is cool!

What do you consider... Space Chords?

I've never heard any other DCI World Class Corps play them like devils do.

Phantom does the half valve. You really don't see many Cavaliers warm-up videos.

Yes, every corps does some kind of tuning sequence.

Space chords used to be my favorite hornline warm-up, then i heard BD's star wars warm-up from 99. That is twice as epic as space chords will ever be

Phantom"space cords" then they go into Big hit from 2003... EPIC!

We did The exact cords from BD in my high school band,

We also have a BD trumpet player as one of our brass instructors.

It was nice when the brass did it.

Added the woodwinds... . . .

we should of throw them in the dirt.

What do you consider... Space Chords?

You know.....as I think about it more and more.....I am actually referring to the chord progressions/sequences that occur typically after a series of lip slurs or that are used in a tuning sequence.

I've never heard any other DCI World Class Corps play them like devils do

Not the space music....true(ie Close Encounter references)

Edited by Triple Forte

You know.....as I think about it more and more.....I am actually referring to the chord progressions/sequences that occur typically after a series of lip slurs or that are used in a tuning sequence.

Not the space music....true(ie Close Encounter references)

NOW that makes sense. The reason they do THAT is ear training, if you can hear your pitch at a minor second, you can hear your pitch at a perfect 5th.

Every corps does do some kind of chord progression.