Adding weight to a horn

Abbevillekid26

I will chime in both aspects here...

1.) I believe a Kanstul Powerbore is only about 3.5 lbs. And I do find myself seeming to forget about horn angle sometimes just because I did play the larger horns. That being said, adding a weight (a heavier mouthpiece or heavy caps) made the horn just that much heavier that I thought about it (out of comfort normal zone)

2.) For euph, we added two 1 lbs weights (total 2 lbs) onto the horn. One around the bell(with a piece of cloth under it to avoid scratching) and one under the valve casing wrapt around all the tubes under there. We would use the for practice indoors. Then for the ensemble at the end of rehearsal we would take them off and be beasts with great horn angles.. because your holding 8 lbs instead of the 10 you were holding all day. Outside, we opted to only use the one under the valve casing, and would take it off for the final runthrough of the day. We did this till about early July (DCA) and by then, the horn was seemed "lighter" and like we werent holding a euph.

I know that some people may say that the added weight may make the horn play different.. and in some cases and physics it may just be true. But it is probably so small of difference on a larger horn that it practically plays the same anyway.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Shadow mentioned though isn't a kanstul powerbore in the wrong key? Wouldn't it be expensive too to buy a new horn just because it weighs more? I don't really know how much those go for though or much about it.

Like Shadow mentioned though isn't a kanstul powerbore in the wrong key? Wouldn't it be expensive too to buy a new horn just because it weighs more? I don't really know how much those go for though or much about it.

Not for us people still using them.... :thumbup::thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
I march soprano and I was wondering a couple things.

1.) Would you recommend putting ankle/wrist weights on a trumpet to build muscle during rehearsing? I've heard mixed things.

and

2.) If yes what is the max amount you would say is safe to put on a trumpet before you could damage the instrument?

Thanks

ITS A ****ING TRUMPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can not hold that up and stand with good posture you should not be in drum corps. Sorry, that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Oh sorry thought this was over after 3 weeks and 2 pages of general consensus that it's not recommended. I saw it at a top 12 corps' camp, I guess they don't know what they're doing either and should just quit drum corps as well. I appreciate your feedback.

Edited by Abbevillekid26

• 3 weeks later...

I've added weight to my kid's instruments before. I don't actually have them play on the instruments though. I usually have a "5 minute drill" where all they do is stand with horns up and the weights added. They are free to breath through the instrument but nothing more. Heck I've put tennis shoes over bells to help them out.

You see baseball players and golfers using weights or heavier bats for warm up and then switching to regulars for normal play. Yeah its not exactly the real deal but most of that warm-up doesn't involve actually using the equipment to hit the ball, its simply to build a little muscle and speed.

• 1 month later...

How about 150 consecutive push-ups?

When I played Bari, I added my dinkles to the horn's bell to help me build stamina. You have to be careful, though.

Some tips:

Make sure that you tie the laces short and around the finger hook for added support and to ensure that during drill, basics, or snaps that the shoes don't hit the horn.

This worked on bari, but I imagine the shoes to weigh more than the trumpet/sop itself.