Adding weight to a horn

Abbevillekid26

I march soprano and I was wondering a couple things.

1.) Would you recommend putting ankle/wrist weights on a trumpet to build muscle during rehearsing? I've heard mixed things.

and

2.) If yes what is the max amount you would say is safe to put on a trumpet before you could damage the instrument?

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put the weight on you, the horn is already handicapped enough.

Paying attention to proper posture and carriage every time you put horn to lips will quickly build the appropriate muscle mass and memory without the added weights.

To be honest and not to toss out an insult, but I've never seen anyone be so frail as to need weight training to properly hold a trumpet/bugle, not even elementary age students. they typically can handle the horn after ingraining the proper methods.

Paying attention to proper posture and carriage every time you put horn to lips will quickly build the appropriate muscle mass and memory without the added weights.

To be honest and not to toss out an insult, but I've never seen anyone be so frail as to need weight training to properly hold a trumpet/bugle, not even elementary age students. they typically can handle the horn after ingraining the proper methods.

The best way to get better at any skill, is to practice the skill exactly as it is performed! Adding weight to the horn or your wrists changes how the skill is done, thus making it a different skill (rule of specifity of sport). In summary...If you want to build strength, get in the weight room and lift. If you want to get better at holding the horn, hold the horn.

Thanks for your honesty no offense taken. I haven't found it necessary before but a camp I was at this year the sops did this and was wondering if it was worth trying.

Edited by Abbevillekid26

I march soprano and I was wondering a couple things.

1.) Would you recommend putting ankle/wrist weights on a trumpet to build muscle during rehearsing? I've heard mixed things.

and

2.) If yes what is the max amount you would say is safe to put on a trumpet before you could damage the instrument?

Thanks

Didn't mention this before... When ever you add weight to a brass instrument it alters the way it responds and interacts with you. Thus slotting and slurring, as well as range and intonation will be effected. Like I said before, practice the horn exactly as you will perform on the horn.

hehe, in my corps in 07 we had a member who started on baritone, couldnt hold the horn so he went to soprano, had the same trouble. He couldnt make the pit so he ended up leaving for a lower level corps where he played drumset. this man was a 20 year old rookie who couldnt hold a soprano. so amazingly enough itdoes happen

Thanks for your honesty no offense taken. I haven't found it necessary before but a camp I was at this year the sops did this and was wondering if it was worth trying.

The main issue I've seen with Sopranos/Trumpets is that they are quite oblivious to their horn angles. Sometimes they even forget that they have a horn in their hands and relax the hand and the instruments falls out of their hands. At the show, five minutes before show time, as a lead/soloist. This is not an issue I've ever had on the larger and heavier horns. You are always aware of it's existence. I would imagine that altering the dynamics by adding weights forces the member(s) to pay attention to the horn more. At which point you're more apt to notice your horn alignment and other things you might otherwise be oblivious to. Otherwise I don't really see a point in adding weight to the horn. Just play a Kanstul powerbore, it already weighs about 5lbs (at least the old ones did). And it is otherwise hard to forget of it's existence while using it. Although probably in the wrong key these days, and I think the new ones come in at about 2lbs. Oh well.