girl cavaliers?

Semantic bull ####.

Anyone who worked that hard all summer deserves equal consideration ... #### anyone who says otherwise.

She was designated a "guest performer" because Madison Scouts by definition do not have female members. That is the charter of the corps and they didnt want to open the door for problems down the road.

As for whether she has a corps jacket or not I dont know but I know she was accorded a very special status in the hearts of the marching members. She was certainly treated as well as any member.

Edited by Scerpella

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if Scouts gave Carmen ("the guest performer" a couple of years back) a corps jacket? They should have because she was every bit as deserving as anyone who got one that year.

HH

When I marched in the Scouts we would perform acts of chivalry in a cold environment by providing our corps jacket to a damsel in distress, but she was asked to drape the jacket over her shoulders and not actually wear the jacket.

I know for a fact in the mid 90's a couple of female volunteers got member jackets. PM me for my thoughts on that if you are interested.

Cavies have girlfriends?

Funny. What was also funny is that while marching CAC888 last year, we saw many of the same groupies that followed us "back in the day". Only they are married with children. But it was funny seeing them in the stands and at practices anyway.

The general unwritten rule for corps jackets (I am assuming it is the same for The Scouts) is that only members and FMM's can wear them. Period. Now the only recent exception to this rule are the several female (and male) "honorary Cavaliers". There has been much debate about this exception within the Cavalier rack and file but since several of the BOD's, including The Old Man, seem to at least mildly approve of this, they get a pass by many FMM's. But there are still the hard core believers that the jack is ours and ours only.

Same years ago I brought a non-drum corps girlfriend to the DeKalb IL show. The weather turned and she was freezing. I draped my corps jacket over her shoulders in an attempt to be, well, Cavalier. One obvious hardcore Cavalier shot daggers at me with his eyes whole show. After the show as we stood up, I took the jacket back explaining the rule, and she actually understood and gave it back with no problem. As we were leaving I told this guy I know the rule but I was being a gentleman, as all Cavaliers should be. He didn't care. He basically said he didn't care if she died of pneumonia. A little too extreme for me but views on the subject will very.

Edited by dc oldtimer

She was certainly treated as well as any member.

Not if she didn't get a corps jacket.

If her presence on the field was so important to the corps that year, then she deserves the same status as everyone else. If she didn't rate the same "member" label as everyone else on the field, then they should have chosen another program, one that didn't require a woman.

Think about it the awful standard set. She doesn't get a jacket when everyone else on the field did? As if she weren't worthy by virtue of genetics alone? If I were advising the board of the Scouts, I'd be telling them to buy her the jacket and give her member status retroactively. I'd sooner risk future liability than current and continuing humiliation. They just can't justify excluding her from rights such as this.

HH

Not if she didn't get a corps jacket.

If her presence on the field was so important to the corps that year, then she deserves the same status as everyone else. If she didn't rate the same "member" label as everyone else on the field, then they should have chosen another program, one that didn't require a woman.

Think about it the awful standard set. She doesn't get a jacket when everyone else on the field did? As if she weren't worthy by virtue of genetics alone? If I were advising the board of the Scouts, I'd be telling them to buy her the jacket and give her member status retroactively. I'd sooner risk future liability than current and continuing humiliation. They just can't justify excluding her from rights such as this.

HH

I don't know whether she got one or not so your answer may be unnecessary. But I have to congratulate you on one of the best examples of gratuitous use of hyperbole I have seen on DCP in a long time. Corps jackets are available for purchase by members and alumni. Not everyone "gets" one by virtue of being on the field. I don't speak for Ms Hershman (now Mrs Newcomb I believe) but I have a feeling her experience with the Scouts is treasured by her regardless of any trumped up outrage you are emoting on her behalf.

Edited by Scerpella

...ahh and this is where Marching band gets a little extreme and unneccessary.

I don't know whether she got one or not so your answer may be unnecessary. But I have to congratulate you on one of the best examples of gratuitous use of hyperbole I have seen on DCP in a long time. Corps jackets are available for purchase by members and alumni. Not everyone "gets" one by virtue of being on the field. I don't speak for Ms Hershman (now Mrs Newcomb I believe) but I have a feeling her experience with the Scouts is treasured by her regardless of any trumped up outrage you are emoting on her behalf.

So I'm the bad guy? I tell you what. If I were, I would admit my mistake and make amends, something the Scouts ought to do too. It's not a question of how Mrs. Newcomb feels. It's a question of what's right. And right now, it's wrong.

HH

So I'm the bad guy? I tell you what. If I were, I would admit my mistake and make amends, something the Scouts ought to do too. It's not a question of how Mrs. Newcomb feels. It's a question of what's right. And right now, it's wrong.

HH

Ive said it twice now, I dont know if anyone has come forward with information on this, we dont know whether she got a jacket or not. You are attacking the Scouts Organization even though they may have already done what you claim is only right. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but even so I dont think its for you or any non member to say what their policy regarding jacket eligibility should be.

"Miss, are you a member of the Scouts?"

"No, the Scouts do not have female members."

"Wait a minute..you rehearsed with them...performed an integral role in their show...the show was NAMED after you, for goodness sakes...toured with them all summer long...isn't that what a member does?"

"Yes."

"Well then, you were a member."

"No, I was not a member because they have no female members."

"You were on the field performing with them, weren't you?"

"Yes."

"Hmmm....."

...etc...etc....etc...

GIVE THE CAVIES BACK THEIR Jacket THREAD

and bash Madison (and or the Cadets) in all other threads where it belongs!

I dare say the loudest bashers have no Jackets to wear at all right?

Edited by Cop