World Guards Folding?

GuarDiva09

allegedly SCV winter guard [last years ind. world class gold medalist] are considering not going forward with plans to compete this season.reports are they had a rather small turnout of about 10 performers at auditions.i beleive that they intend on holding another audition before deciding on a return. :tongue:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and bore everyone visually to death....but i do think it would elimate some on the top thats for sure or switch things around

Wouldn't have to be colorless...there could be color in the silks...

But I think the lack of floor would make the equipment work all that much more important. And I'm sorry, but I don't think it would visually bore people to death...let the equipment work tell the story. Not all the "crap".

Allegedly SCV winter guard [last year's Ind. World class gold medalist] is considering not going forward with plans to compete this season. Reports are they had a rather small turnout of about 10 performers at auditions. I beleive that they intend on holding another audition before deciding on a return. :tongue:

Wow. That's certainly unexpected news.

Any word as to why the turnout for a current GOLD MEDALIST would have been so anemic...???

People moving on to other things...??? Economic concerns...??? Is it just bad timing...???

Very curious, this development is.

But I think the lack of floor would make the equipment work all that much more important. And I'm sorry, but I don't think it would visually bore people to death...let the equipment work tell the story. Not all the "crap".

Agreed--I never felt "bored" not so very long ago when guards were doing shows with no floor covering whatsoever.

Dugg:

Personally? I think guards SHOULD perform on a plain white or black floor, basic black uniforms and no props whatsoever. That would certainly level the playing field! Everyone starts out with the same thing! The only thing that's different is music and equipment work.

That would separate 'the men from the boys'!

Hear, hear! Not only that, but it would eliminate a chunk of the expense associated with putting a guard on the floor. However, I wouldn't limit the color of the uniform to black, because then you run the risk of having no contrast with the floor. A black guard on a black floor could get away with more than a black guard on a white floor (or vice versa). So there would need to at least be some basic ground rules about making sure that the guard uniform and equipment colors contrasted enough that we could actually see the details of what they're doing.

I would suggest a neutral floor color, and the tarp would be issued by WGI so that none of the guards had to buy it, haul it on and off the floor, etc. It would be on the floor for the duration of the show, and show organizers would install it and then take it off at the end.

Other than that, I would be absolutely fine with no props, no elaborate floor designs . . . which all too often clutter the overall design. There have been some notable exceptions to that, but by and large I find most floors distract, rather than enhance. And it's a pretty pricey distraction!

Agreed--I never felt "bored" not so very long ago when guards were doing shows with no floor covering whatsoever.

I agree! :blink:

Edited by byline

Hey while we are at it....why not go back to no electricity and wooden ships... :blink:

Wow. That's certainly unexpected news.

Any word as to why the turnout for a current GOLD MEDALIST would have been so anemic...???

People moving on to other things...??? Economic concerns...??? Is it just bad timing...???

Very curious, this development is.

not sure why.perhaps a combination of things come into play.so many performers don't have the luxury of doing both winter guard and summer drum corps.the time commitment alone is huge and the finacial responsibilities are becoming increasingly prohibitive for alot of young people.i know i am not alone when i say i hope that we will all be able to see SCV winter guard this season. :blink:

Hey while we are at it....why not go back to no electricity and wooden ships... :blink:

I agree! Break out the shakos and riding boots, give me some butt flops and high mark time. Really?? I think we'd all last about one year looking the same and we'd all go crazy. The dinosaurs are extinct for a reason let's not lose our minds.

If this is financially based conversation the biggest killer in independent colorguard is rehearsal space cost. Ask any independent director what their biggest headache is.

I agree! Break out the shakos and riding boots, give me some butt flops and high mark time. Really?? I think we'd all last about one year looking the same and we'd all go crazy. The dinosaurs are extinct for a reason let's not lose our minds.

If this is financially based conversation the biggest killer in independent colorguard is rehearsal space cost. Ask any independent director what their biggest headache is.

Other than Dayton, our highest expenses are rehearsal space costs. It's approximately 30% of our budget. Dayton is about 50% because we will be traveling from TX.

This almost suggests that designers would choose to have less effective equipment work just because they have a tarp/floor?! Seriously? To each their own, of course, but the use of floors for many has become *part* of the design of the overall package along with equipment and movement. It's an enhancement that too some is not "crap."