World Guards Folding?

GuarDiva09

where i march the parents do all of the flag sewing. this year we dyed the flags too! the moms do all the measuring cutting and sewing of our costumes too. they put a lot of time in, but it does help with the money i'm sure.

for tarps, instead of getting them screen printed, why not paint it?? we paint ours every year, and reuse them. it might be a little heavier, but it is a lot cheaper!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents? Must be nice. I have made my own flags and uniforms for years. Have gotten out of uniforms the past few years but our winter uniforms are always way under 100.00.

I'd be happy if I could fine more than 1 guard parent who even knows what a sewing machine looks like, let alone be able to use it to sew inverted french seams on lame' and poly-silk flags successfully without having a nervous breakdown. And asking them to make a uniform! Oy vey!...

Don't waste your time on french seams. It just has to hold together and nobody is going to inspect it that closely. My guard won a world championship and has been an SW finalist with some of the most poorly made flags - up close. But from the stands you can't tell. And Elmer's Glue and water make a great FrayCheck!

where i march the parents do all of the flag sewing. this year we dyed the flags too! the moms do all the measuring cutting and sewing of our costumes too. they put a lot of time in, but it does help with the money i'm sure.

for tarps, instead of getting them screen printed, why not paint it?? we paint ours every year, and reuse them. it might be a little heavier, but it is a lot cheaper!

And use old billboards instead of new vinyl. That saves a TON of money.

Don't waste your time on french seams. It just has to hold together and nobody is going to inspect it that closely. My guard won a world championship and has been an SW finalist with some of the most poorly made flags - up close. But from the stands you can't tell. And Elmer's Glue and water make a great FrayCheck!

AMEN! I use a hot knife to cut the pieces (or just seal the edges on solids silks) and it makes sewing a breeze. Just a nice little stitch and they are ready to go! I haven't had to use glue... yet. HAHA!

Every flag I've ever had that WASN't sewn with french seams was a total wreck by the end of the season.

And use old billboards instead of new vinyl. That saves a TON of money.

Yes! That's what we do too :-)

Anyone running into problems with the billboard companies. They can't give them to us because they have to be recycled or the ones they can are a new light weight material they can't be used.

Anyone running into problems with the billboard companies. They can't give them to us because they have to be recycled or the ones they can are a new light weight material they can't be used.

Yes, it is getting harder to get billboards. I want to say it's Clear Channel that has a corporate policy that all used vinyls in the U.S. have to be collected and sent to Mississippi (?) for recycling. We're lucky that one of our band dads is an executive at one of the big billboard agencies and can pull some strings for us each year to get them.

Funny story, last year, all of our billboards were for Captain Morgan and Bud Light! Funny since we were a scholastic group.

I'd be happy if I could fine more than 1 guard parent who even knows what a sewing machine looks like, let alone be able to use it to sew inverted french seams on lame' and poly-silk flags successfully without having a nervous breakdown. And asking them to make a uniform! Oy vey!...

Haha, we had a guard mom that lived in your area who sewed the flags AND made the costumes.

And we had gorgeous flags every year.