Best Crossmen Show Ever

Best closer music EVER

Great Stuff Jeff...ya know, I have 85-88 all on video & I'm thinking I'll pop them in tonight or tomorrow!

Also have 79 Prelims on high camera & it's worth a viewing as well...

It's a shame that DCI hasn't figured out a way to make the non-finalist performances available! If I didn't get the Crossmen "Through The Years" double video set BITD, I'd be SOL if I wanted to see those shows again that didn't make Finals...

um so in addition to that 90 SIB tape, what would it cost me to get 85-88 too?

:tongue:

DCI has figured out a way. it isn't fiscally wise right now, tho with the Chase money it will help. gotta secure licensing for all that old stuff

I remember hearing that Crossmen were right there (I think even beating them a couple times) in '02 back East during 1st tour. There was talk of Crossmen being a top 5 corps that year ((I love the '02 show by the way)) but I'm not sure what happened. Did they peak earlier or did the other corps just grow more during the season (ie. Glassmen, PR, etc.). ???

and to another another "wishful thinking shameless request"---ppppllleeeaase bring back "The Waltz"...just for me :-)....please

CM

I saw Bones at Lansdale early in 02, not that far behind BD. then something happened...they got better, but they got stuck on 84 for a Looooonnnnngggggggg time. By the time they got unstuck, they were outside the top 6 range.

'02 Crossmen actually beat BD for the first time on the East coast that summer, and were sitting pretty in 4th... then their scores stalled right around midseason. I think the show proved to be too difficult, as other corps tweaked and cleaned and passed them by. I remember that the version of Heat of the Day at Finals was a fair shadow of the one they'd done in the first half of the year, and it seemed like they were still getting gassed by the end.

Mike

I've often thought that if we had the '02 show with the '01 corps we would have really made some Crossmen history. The '01 corps had an energy to perform that I've not seen since.

• Like 1

92. The crossmen show of shows.

97...the closest to 92.

91...man,if they hadn't peaked at East

82...what a show

90....still love it.

88...an underrated show IMO, and should havebeen a finalist. IMO< Thurston's all time power ending.

95....used to love it more, lately not so much. Unsure why

89...it kinda came off as 88 rehash, but it got em in

87...also under rated, but a sign of things to come.

86...god the corps overall was bad ( not the drums). Would love to have seen this show with a better corps. I mean you have to love Street Dancin

no 2004?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all!

This thread is probably closed by now...I guess that's what happens when you only visit two or three times a year or so....but just wanted to put my vote in, if it's not too late. (Now, admittedly, I may be biased, but.....here goes nothin')

(disclaimer alert: I wrote the brass charts from the closer in '86 thru the Earth trilogy in 94....so, thank you so much for all of the very nice comments in this thread. I'm proud to have been on the team that helped re-define the corps during that time.)

As I said......I may be biased, but here are my favorites:

1991 (92 was a better corps, and a better show....but 91 is just more of that in-your-face stuff that we became known for back in the day)

1992 (the best part of this show was in how it evolved during the summer. What an unbelievable staff that year! Few songs have grabbed me like "under the sun" did. Go listen to the original - you'll hear our entire chart! I remember discussing that tune with Dennis and Jimmer (!) in my filthy apartment in Springfield that winter...)

1990 (yup, the total re-invention of the corps. Thanks, Den and Carl. There are lots more folks to be named here, like Shorty and Rick and Jack and, well, I don't want to leave anybody out. We'll just say that a lot of us were finally figuring it out)

1988 (Mark, Eric, and I were still in our "no, I'M the most important part of the equation!" stage, but.....Baker and Doug just killed the end of Cherokee, didn't they? High notes rule. Always have. Always will.)

1989 (Finals! I will never forget standing in the end zone that night. I also knew that we'd be standing a little closer to the 50 the next time around....just didn't know we'd be THAT close....)

1982 (I actually worked with the corps in 82 when I was just 21 (thanks, Tony!) Was torn all summer because we had a lead sop spot, and I was eligible...but few knew it because I was Tony's assistant at Crossmen and Bucs and he wanted to keep it that way...) Good horn line. Fun charts from Tony. (He really was the man back then.)

1976 (Mike Dennis' book was awesome. My oldest sister marched in this corps....and I answered the phone the night she called from the Sevierville show. I will never forget that moment as long as I live...)

1987 (my first full year as caption head/brass arranger. Pure, east coast energy with every step. None of us really knew what we were doing.....but we had a great time that summer as we sort of figured it out as we went along. Thank god for all the frisbee. And the gin.)

1993 (Koto might be my 3rd or 4th favorite tune I've ever written. Karen's mello solo is inspiring. John's drill is really compelling. We never really figured out what to do with the opener or closer, though....)

1994 (I was there through Memorial Day, and then the whole merger/takeover thing happened with George/YEA/the borg/whatever, and I quit. I'm really proud of how "pop goes the weasel" turned out, though it was VERY edited by the time finals came around. Same with the whole closer. Still, a great end to the trilogy.)

• Like 2

Sorry to quickly re-post, but...

for those of you that actually have video, can anybody get me a copy of 1986? 1987? 1988? 1989? I'm good from then on, but can anyone help me complete my collection? Please let me know! Thanks!

Matt Krempasky

I saw Bones at Lansdale early in 02, not that far behind BD. then something happened...they got better, but they got stuck on 84 for a Looooonnnnngggggggg time. By the time they got unstuck, they were outside the top 6 range.

Please don't remind me of that.

We named a brass warm-up 82.4 during that stretch.

'02 Crossmen actually beat BD for the first time on the East coast that summer, and were sitting pretty in 4th... then their scores stalled right around midseason. I think the show proved to be too difficult, as other corps tweaked and cleaned and passed them by. I remember that the version of Heat of the Day at Finals was a fair shadow of the one they'd done in the first half of the year, and it seemed like they were still getting gassed by the end.

Mike

I don't believe we ever beat BD. I know in Bridgeport, and maybe one other show, we beat them in percussion and I think GE music, but that's it.