Spartans Inactive

Didn't see this coming! :thumbup:

To bad, hopefully the small amount of kids can make their way to Citations.

I suspect that the kids hopefully knew more being on the inside.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Peter LaFlamme is gone, I wouldn't be surprised when the 2009 season ends the new management makes an effort to bring back the staff that made the Spartans so great: Rich Rigolini and company.

Now that Peter LaFlamme is gone, I wouldn't be surprised when the 2009 season ends the new management makes an effort to bring back the staff that made the Spartans so great: Rich Rigolini and company.

Maybe if LaFlamme Sr. doesn't come back, but it might also depend on how the old Spartans staff like where they are

...but what would that mean for Burlington? Granted they put out some decent shows over the years, but there's no disputing that the previous generation of Spartans' staff brought the corps to a new level. That's mainly why I say "combine forces." While nearby competition is enjoyable, there's no sense in having one struggle.

...but what would that mean for Burlington? Granted they put out some decent shows over the years, but there's no disputing that the previous generation of Spartans' staff brought the corps to a new level. That's mainly why I say "combine forces." While nearby competition is enjoyable, there's no sense in having one struggle.

from what i read they had a pretty killer staff planned for this year. IF they can keep that staff for a return in 2010 i think they will be set to build a new legacy for NH.

from what i read they had a pretty killer staff planned for this year. IF they can keep that staff for a return in 2010 i think they will be set to build a new legacy for NH.

Killer staff is one part of the equation.

You need money...lots of money. Fundraising, developement work, local performances and membership dues are about the only sources of income for Open Class corps. Not much if any in the way of DCI appearance fees...and if there are any...the Open Class corps will see them next September and not during the year when they could really help out.

Too many Open Class corps (and not saying this is the case with Spartans or not...just a general statement) have had difficulty balancing the need for members with the need for money. This is one of the big reasons why some corps' management has led some corps down a very bad path...here's the example...

Kid A wants to march in the Open Class corps of your choosing. The camp and season dues, equipment costs, fundraising, etc. comes to $1500 for the season (just to pluck out a round number).

Kid A pays the $25 audition fee and then the first camp fee of $50. Then it's time for the first installment of $200 for the season...the corps is ready to commit to Kid A for the season...he won't get cut. Kid A doesn't have the money. What does the manager of the corps do?

The dilemma for many drum corps and one that has led to cash shortfalls or holes in the line...how you play this decision and the many more like it ultimately determines whether a corps can balance the budget and get the members on the field and down the road.

Killer staff is one part of the equation.

You need money...lots of money. Fundraising, developement work, local performances and membership dues are about the only sources of income for Open Class corps. Not much if any in the way of DCI appearance fees...and if there are any...the Open Class corps will see them next September and not during the year when they could really help out.

Too many Open Class corps (and not saying this is the case with Spartans or not...just a general statement) have had difficulty balancing the need for members with the need for money. This is one of the big reasons why some corps' management has led some corps down a very bad path...here's the example...

Kid A wants to march in the Open Class corps of your choosing. The camp and season dues, equipment costs, fundraising, etc. comes to $1500 for the season (just to pluck out a round number).

Kid A pays the $25 audition fee and then the first camp fee of $50. Then it's time for the first installment of $200 for the season...the corps is ready to commit to Kid A for the season...he won't get cut. Kid A doesn't have the money. What does the manager of the corps do?

The dilemma for many drum corps and one that has led to cash shortfalls or holes in the line...how you play this decision and the many more like it ultimately determines whether a corps can balance the budget and get the members on the field and down the road.

I totally agree. What i was referring to is the staff. I think the former staff have settled in and being a FMM of Citations i see that staff staying where they are and doing what they have done for decades. make kids better. Hopefully Spartans will be able to pull out of this. I can say its a great organization. Hopefully in better hands now.

Truly a sad day. Another Open Class Corps becomes inactive.

PLEASE do not rush to try to come back. There are only a a couple corps that are trying to make a come back, but that even took several years to accomplish.

Those who made announcements of coming back the year after going inactive ended up announcing a second year off, a third year off then the only thing left is a memory. Please do not follow those who made grand announcements about a comeback, Americanos, ECJ, and Marion Cadets come to mind. Afterall, how many corps that went inactive in the last 4 years ever came back the following year?

Though it would be great to have The Spartans come back quickly, they should develop a three year plan to make sure the organization is strong before a single potential member is approached.

Good Luck Spartans. You will be missed.

Truly a sad day. Another Open Class Corps becomes inactive.

PLEASE do not rush to try to come back. There are only a a couple corps that are trying to make a come back, but that even took several years to accomplish.

Those who made announcements of coming back the year after going inactive ended up announcing a second year off, a third year off then the only thing left is a memory. Please do not follow those who made grand announcements about a comeback, Americanos, ECJ, and Marion Cadets come to mind. Afterall, how many corps that went inactive in the last 4 years ever came back the following year?

Though it would be great to have The Spartans come back quickly, they should develop a three year plan to make sure the organization is strong before a single potential member is approached.

Good Luck Spartans. You will be missed.

I marched both Americanos and ECJ the last year they fielded a corps. I can't speak to much for ECJ, but Americanos had everything set to go....but money and reality prevent things from happening. In 05 before the corps went inactive the corps had about 70ish members. In 06 when they plan to return there was a solid 50ish there to work with, so making a comebock with strong numbers is possible.

I would lvoe to see for both to make a comeback. I just currently saw ECJ 06 show and it blew me away. Just don't find that kinda quality and risk in Open Class anymore.