Field Pass: 2009 DCI Hall of Fame

There were five - 2 of them 'legends'. I just pulled some online info...

Jay Bocook (from Wikipedia) is a professional composer and arranger, and also the Director of Athletic Bands at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina. He was born in Clearwater, Florida and received a Bachelor of Music degree from Furman University, and went on to receive a Master of Music degree from Northeast Louisiana University.

Mr. Bocook began his composing and arranging career in graduate school, and began to write for Jenson publications while serving as the band director at a small high school in Travelers Rest, South Carolina. He served as the Director of Bands at Furman University from 1982 until 1989, where he continued his rise to fame as an arranger. His arrangements were featured at the 1984 Olympic Games. He writes for a wide range of ensembles, from elementary bands to the United States Marine Band.

In addition to serving as Furman's Director of Athletic Bands, Mr. Bocook works as a staff composer/arranger for Hal Leonard. He is also the chief arranger for nine-time world champion Drum and Bugle Corps, the Cadets. He also composes music exclusively for a select group of high schools. Namely the Lassiter HS Marching Band, of Marietta, a two-time BOA Grand National Champion. As well as the Bridgewater-Raritan HS Marching Band of Bridgewater, NJ, a past BOA Regional Champion and a finalist consitantly. Mr. Bocook is also a regular arranger for the Avon High School Marching Band of Avon, IN, Wando High School Marching Band of Mount Pleasant, SC, Dartmouth High School Marching Band of Dartmouth MA, and the James F. Byrnes Rebel Regiment Marching Band of Duncan, SC. In addition, his music used in some of the cadets shows was used for Fort Mill High School Marching Bands show entitled the Illusionist including Liquid and Equuis. Mr. Bocook also conducts and composes for the Carolina Pops Orchestra.\

Shirley Dorritie MA, MFT Shirley Stratton Dorritie has been involved in the pageantry activity for over 35 years and specializes in training performers throughout the world for optimal achievement. Her credits include four Drum Corps International Championship titles with the Concord Blue Devils, as well as the Santa Clara Vanguard, Arizona Academy, James Logan High School and Clovis West High School. She has adjudicated the Drum Corps, Winter Guard and Marching Band activities since 1983. Shirley holds a MA in Counseling Psychology, with a Certificate in Sport Psychology, and has presented her curriculum for “DELIVERING THE GOODS” to performers, educators, choreographers and conductors throughout the U.S., Europe, and Japan.

Frank Williams (from a Glassmen release in 2004), brass caption head for the GLASSMEN Drum and Bugle Corps has served twice on the DCI Task Force. Frank Williams received his B.S. degree in music education from Florida A and M University in Tallahassee, Florida, and his Master of Music degree from State University of New York in Fredonia, New York. An educator for nearly three decades, he has taught at the junior high, high school, and college levels. Currently, Mr. Williams is the Director of Bands at Boca Ciega High School in St. Petersburg, Florida, where his jazz ensembles are legendary throughout the state of Florida.

Mr. Williams has also been involved in the drum corps and marching band arena for over 20 years. He returns to Toledo, Ohio, for the seventh consecutive year with the GLASSMEN Drum and Bugle Corps. Even with much of his time devoted to the drum corps, Williams still maintains an active schedule as a freelance performer, composer, arranger, consultant, and clinician throughout the United States.

LEGENDS

Richard O. "Ike" Iannessa (his obit published in the Boston Globe on 10/17/2004) 64, husband of Carol Ann (Fitzmaurice) of Brookline, MA; beloved father of Richard Scott and his wife Jaime; Graduate of New Hampshire College (BS) and University of Massachusetts (MA). Retiree of Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Youth Services. Employee of Neurocare, of Newton, MA. Visual Instructor and Judge of Drum & Bugle Corps, Color Guards, Drill Teams and High School Bands for over forty-years (most notably The 27th Lancers, of Revere, MA and Madison Scouts, of Madison, WI).

My apologies on the last one - also a 'legend' - I did not catch the name. (Amo Pablick?) He instructed Racine Kilties.

Edited by MAV

Congratulations to all. A special congratulations to Mr. Bocook, who is simply awesome as the brass arranger for the Reading Buccaneers!

Frank Williams

Frank Williams was the brass caption head for Suncoast Sound in the mid-80's, and was the reason Suncoast's brass lines played the way they did. Of all the recent inductees, Frank's enshrinement is the longest overdue. Frank is truly a legend, and I would not be the performer and teacher I am without his influence, and I'm sure there are many Suncoast alumni who will agree with me.

...... 2 of them 'legends'. I just pulled some online info...

.LEGENDS

Richard O. "Ike" Iannessa (his obit published in the Boston Globe on 10/17/2004) 64, husband of Carol Ann (Fitzmaurice) of Brookline, MA; beloved father of Richard Scott and his wife Jaime; Graduate of New Hampshire College (BS) and University of Massachusetts (MA). Retiree of Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Youth Services. Employee of Neurocare, of Newton, MA. Visual Instructor and Judge of Drum & Bugle Corps, Color Guards, Drill Teams and High School Bands for over forty-years (most notably The 27th Lancers, of Revere, MA and Madison Scouts, of Madison, WI).......

I don't claim to be an authority in Ike, but I was fortunate to have marched when he taught 27th, and we judged together many times with Mass Judges.

I do know, Ike marched with the Most Precious Blood (aka Hyde Park and Boston) Crusaders as a tenor drummer in the early and later became drum major of the Cambridge Caballeros.

He made everyone he taught better, more proud, and raised their self esteem. He is a mentor of mine and I am grateful to have been a student of his. He changed my life.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jay's band at Travelers Rest may have won a BOA title (I think it was Marching Bands of America or something back then).

And the bio says "a small school" in S.C. Travelers Rest has more than 1,200 students. Not really "small."

G

Congradulations to all five inductees inparticularly to Frank Williams ! :worthy: I had the true

pleasure of watching this man instruct the Glassmen brass section back in 2004 for like four hours

at Springfield High school in Holland Ohio and believe me this man is a true master at what he dose!

Frank is as COOL as he is humble ! Your the Man Frank !!!! Smitty