No Scores until the end of July

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so - looking at the Colts, out of 169 corps they competed against, 152 were "correct" based on final placements - 90%.

What would be a good range of placements to compare against then - 3 either way? (So for Glassmen, say, look at 8th through 14th?) Although by adjusting this, aren't we saying that the Glassmen had no chance to compete with the big guns (and the little guns had no chance to compete with them)?

Not trying to be a contrarian - seriously wondering about how you might be able to prove / disprove this. :worthy:

Mike

Okay, adjusting for the corps 3 above and 3 below -

Glassmen (against 8th - 14th place corps) - competed against 94 corps, 83 times ended up in line with Semis / Finals standings (88%)

Colts (against 11th - 17th place corps) - competed against 65 corps, 56 times ended up in line with Semis / Finals standings (86%)

Of course, this hardly helps with predicting current seasons, since you wouldn't be able to check until after Finals and you know how it *ended*.

Mike

Performing a couple of thousand miles apart may have had something to do with that, too.

Don't forget about how bad west coast inflation was before east met west last year.

You're correct. Here's an easy to see picture that shows the rankings each day, complied by the guy at DCI Scores.com:

2008corps1.jpg

BK was all over the place. So were the Colts, who as I recall started very hot.

This picture clearly shows that there is no slotting. In addition, it's really funny that the only people to win the shows all season didn't win the last one. aha. But really. With the exception of BD and Pioneer, you can see every corps switching around all season.

2008corps1.jpg

Sorry for double post. I'd really love to see a picture like this that shows corps' final placement through the years. It'd be a great visual imagine to show DCI's history.

Edited by littlebirdy

Okay.. as an amateur musician, and for someone who has been around the activity long enough to tell what is good and what is better... there was no slotting at all.

At finals, I watched every performance. And I did my own ranking. Based off of my opinion, and what I know judges look for.

My top 12 was exactly the same as the judges.

There is a reason why the 12th place corps finishes in 12th. They are not as good as the corps in 1st. It is very apparent when watching and listening why a corps finishes in whatever decision. I like Madison's show more than the Bluecoats... but I knew they weren't at the same level as the Bluecoats.

The judging for the past few years has been very fare... in fact in the past decade there are few things I disagree with. The last two years there has definately not been slotting. Look at 6-12... there are different corps year to year.

Blue Devils are that #### good... that is why they were only beat what? 2 or 3 times? Cavies have been the most consistent corps of this decade. When was the last time they finished lower than 3rd. It's because they really are that #### good.

If you don't like how your favorite corps seems to be slotted in a certain spot... well it's not the judges, it's the corps. The corps themselves are the most powerful factor when it comes to this.

Also, the highly competitive nature of this activity does make movement hard. Especially with how consistent the top corps keep things year to year.

There is a reason why the 12th place corps finishes in 12th. They are not as good as the corps in 1st. It is very apparent when watching and listening why a corps finishes in whatever decision. I like Madison's show more than the Bluecoats... but I knew they weren't at the same level as the Bluecoats.

This is the point where the slotting theory always seems to explode. It's easy to complain that corps are slotted. It's far more difficult to articulate where the placements should have been different.

I remember a thread here a couple of years back where we were asked to assess the tightest finishes at championships and state whether we would have rendered a different result. What was most remarkable about that thread to me was the clear consensus in favor of the actual results. That is, we tended to agree with the judges more than we disagreed.

I believe that's true in the more macro picture too. While we have favorites who we wish could place better, we generally agree with the placement order (I say generally - there are always points of contention but in general they are small). A lot of people loved Phantom 2003 and would have loved to see that show earn a medal. Yet few would agree that Cadets, Cavies and Devils deserved not to medal.

HH

Edited by glory

It does however show West Coast inflation, look at what happened to SCV as the got out of the West Coast.

Forget SCV, look at Pac Crest.