Things I miss about drum corps

There must be at least a million things, but:

Listening to George Zingali on one of his insane rants in Ypsilanti.

Can't actually write this one, but it was cool too.

I might have to think about this one...

okay one more before bed... listening to the color guard from the world famous Oceanside Legionnaires (they named a disease after us) sing a ridiculous corps song they invented to the tune of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" a song that we may have been the only corps in America that hadn't played it... ever. (Our guard was insane, in a wonderful sort of way, or wonderful, in an insane sort of way... I forget now. Ask Jackie Murray the next time you see the Sky alumni corps or the famous duet of which he's half.)

Ray, love you like a brother but I've got to address these:

Yes, there are a million things.

Wow! I didn't even know George knew Ypsilanti! Bantu, yes. Ypsilanti?! I knew he was a genius!

I was lucky, I actually can't write about a dozen - All I can say is that Wisconsin was really cool.

And speaking of amazing guards - the not quite as famous but equally entertaining guard from the Trumbull Troubadors!

trumbullTroubadors.jpg

I miss them a great deal.

Puppet

I miss going to Bellefontaine, OH, staying at the Elks Club and putting on an exhibition in the town square. I think there was a show there back in 1972 that we were in.

What I miss (as a spectator - never marched):

Skirts and boots on the guard

Heck, UNIFORMS on the guard!

27th Lancers guard and rifles throwing EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink!

"Concert" numbers - the "park and bark" or "park and blow"

The "push the stands back 'cause the horn line's so freakin' loud" moments

More entertainment - less "themes"

Well-known music

I miss going to Bellefontaine, OH, staying at the Elks Club and putting on an exhibition in the town square. I think there was a show there back in 1972 that we were in.

August 9, 1972 Bellefontaine, OH

Marion Cadets 78.2

Cardinals 69.4

Grenadiers 62.45

Mello-Dears 59.6

Royal Coachmen 49.2

The "push the stands back 'cause the horn line's so freakin' loud" moments

More entertainment - less "themes"

Well-known music

I hope you weren't looking for an argument on these, because I'm afraid that I would disappoint you.

I thought the Buckeyes were there too. I do remember going to a ski lodge for a party after that show but I was only 12 years old.

August 9, 1972 Bellefontaine, OH

Marion Cadets 78.2

Cardinals 69.4

Grenadiers 62.45

Mello-Dears 59.6

Royal Coachmen 49.2

Care to provide some evidence to back up THAT assertion that modern corps is any more or less about 'we' than in our day?

Mike,

This would be an interesting thread. Not less, perhaps more, but much much different. I wouldn't express my views on a public forum, but it would make an interesting sociological or psychological paper. (if someone smart wrote it, that is... I'm still plodding through writing a boring Haydn paper.)

I hope you weren't looking for an argument on these, because I'm afraid that I would disappoint you.

Nope. No argument. These are the things that I miss. They're MY opinions - right, wrong or whatever.

Feel free to add what you miss...or maybe you don't miss anything. That's fine too.