A question for frank Dorritie

All of this requires me to ask: Are all those techs and sound mixers (who I would believe should be in integral part of the performance) considered part of the Drum Corps performers or what? Will there now be a separate caption for "sound design?"

If, in fact, there is a miscue by the synth player (missed note, chord, etc) who hears it and makes the determination on that particular mistake? Is the technology sophisticated enough to program said electronics for "1 key" per song to avoid the above?

Will the electronics be considered part of the drum line (the piano was originally after all a percussion instrument) because you still have to strike the keys to produce sound or because of the sustainability of chords, part of the horn line?

And because they are midi instruments, these pieces of equipment shouldn't even be part of the question of microphones which BTW, I thought should have been tested and corrected long ago with the various marimbas, bells, etc. Tympani, because they are real drums and stage front IMO should not have to be amplified.

Oh, BTW - leakage when you've got 80 horns pushing out between 80 to 100 decibels 5 yards from the pit? Oh yeah, plenty!

Puppet

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he's a cool guy. :tongue:

And he's a cool guy. :tongue:

A true drum corps maven! And if you didn't get the hint yet, the correct spelling is D O R R I T I E.

Puppet

A true drum corps maven! And if you didn't get the hint yet, the correct spelling is D O R R I T I E.

Puppet

Sorry for spelling your name incorrectly Frank. I should know better. More Specifically I'd be interested in hearing a recording of just the Corps no mics Vs. Mic'd up. Would there be a difference there. For recordings I like the 1982 albums on vinyl. P.S. Thanks for the brief but to the point answer Frank. Trav

There seems to be a lot of expertise here and I respect everyone's opinion and right to hold it. I would point out however that there is a good deal of leakage into pit mikes.

There could be some discussion as to what constitutes "a good deal", but I can hear it and it does mesh with the direct sound.

Frank D

Is there a solution? Or is it just the nature of the beast at this time? Could amplification eventually be solved with correct mic placement? :tongue:

All hose bootleg recordings made from the stands and the track picked up everything, to think (or claim) a mic in the pit wouldn't, or can't is ridiculous.

What is being picked up can be limited, but not eliminated (unwanted sounds).

It all falls on the sound engineer's shoulders and in my experience there far fewer good ones than those who think they are sound engineers.

Regards,

John

Edited by sarnia sam

You know, I've tried to correct Frank's name in the title but it won't let me. Mods, Could you help please?

No, we'd rathr kontinu to let evrywun see your speling skils....I fixed it for you! :tongue: