End of Discussion

It just seems un-needed. If there hasn't been a Class A corps to make top 10 (which there hasn't), then why are we making a rule. People keep making this about how good it will be for the Class A corps, but I feel like it is more about how bad it looks for Open Class corps to get beat by Class A corps. Not trying to start something, but I don't think this rule would have been proposed had there not been Class A corps beating Open Class during the season last year (or knocking on the back doors of others).

Actually there was a rule about what to do if a Class A corps beats an Open Class corps in Prelims. The rule stated that the Class A corps had to compete in Open Class for Finals (no choice in the matter). IMO, this flips the switch to have the Class A corps compete in Class A Finals (no choice in the matter). Forget when the old rule was put into place (few years), just remember the ... ahem.... "discussion". :tongue:

And why wait for a Class A corps to make top 10 score before DCA makes a rule about it. I can just picture DCA saying "Hey the Mugwumpers (Class A) can make Open Finals with that score... Oh #### now what do we do?".

Edit: Too early in the AM to type and my fingers are stiff from a long parade.... :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and with the new rule change, they still have a good shot at retaining their vote.

Edited by Borg Bari

Not at all....you'd rather keep Class A corps 2nd class citizens, with no voting rights of their own? They were created as a separate class to service smaller corps....codifying that split serves to let them live their own life and not be measured again a much larger group.

After reading the rule again, it sounds like we have the EXACT same rule, just now Class A corps have no chance of making Open Class Finals. I guess if you like that, then you like the rule... if you don't, you don't.

I don't think the old rule denied any Class A corps from voting any more than this one does. The old rule allowed the Top 10 scoring corps to having voting rights. This new rule allows the Top 10 scoring corps to have voting rights (instead of doing it at Prelims, it will occur on Finals night). I guess I don't really care, just trying to have a discussion.

Its ok, DCI went through the same thing when Magic ended up beating up on some of the Division I corps in 2002. I just think this is our version of doing the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that is what most people think... but I do think it was the motive of some people that proposed the rule. :tongue:

I guess the point I am making is that it is eliminating potential competition for Open Class corps; and since we only had 12 last year, I don't think that is good.

That's a very good point. A corps that ends up, maybe, being better than they expected; has tossed out any chance of competing for a top-ten spot, by virtue of their choice in June.

And, I agree, it would make the open class race more intersting (as it was last year) if you had a couple of excellent Class A corps' added to the chase for finals. (That would have been MY preference, as a fan.)

But, they DO have the choice, as late as June, to go whichever direction they like. And, if this new rule was a result of input from the Class A corps', then I presume it's what the majority of them wanted.

What you have to hope, is that the Open Class isn't pared back to ten, with no race for a finals cut at all. 1993 is often sited as the year only 13 corps made the trip to DCA prelims. But, at least we had 13 all competing in Open Class then.

Edited by brassomaniac

Before all of the conspiracy theory starts. I was at the meeting. Don't remember who submittted the rule change, but am sure it was a Class "A" Corps. The open corps differed all discussion to the Class "A"s. Then after it was established that the Class "A"s preferred the new rule the Open Corps voted it in.

If my old mind remembers thre was only one "A" that didn't want the change. It"s great when the Corps work together and this is how this rule was established.

Before all of the conspiracy theory starts. I was at the meeting. Don't remember who submittted the rule change, but am sure it was a Class "A" Corps. The open corps differed all discussion to the Class "A"s. Then after it was established that the Class "A"s preferred the new rule the Open Corps voted it in.

If my old mind remembers thre was only one "A" that didn't want the change. It"s great when the Corps work together and this is how this rule was established.

"I don't recall the names, Senator." :tongue: ok, I said my piece. I offered to drop it once, I'll drop it again. Just don't insult my intelligence about this class A love fest. Last word.

Edited by Borg Bari

"I don't recall the names, Senator." :tongue: ok, I said my piece. I offered to drop it once, I'll drop it again. Just don't insult my intelligence about this class A love fest. Last word.

And where would DCA be without the "love" shown towards the smaller corps. IMO, creating Class A was the best thing DCA has done in decades.

Hint: Check the 1993 results and see how many of the 13 corps still exist....

Pardon the nitpick, but I believe you want the word "deferred" there. ;)

Who's insulting your intelligence? Twice in this thread I've seen you insult people who certainly didn't deserve it. No one is talking about a Class A love fest. The simple fact remains that the idea for the rule change was submitted by a Class A corps and was accepted almost unanimously by the Class A corps. Not trying to paint an overly rosey picture, but you have to admit DCA has gone above and beyond what most sanctioning bodies would do in as much as making sure Class A get's a voice (yes, I have witnessed this firsthand) and a fair shake especially when it comes to performance opportunities and share points (ie - MONEY). The folks "running the show" have done an exemplary job bringing the all-age drum corps activity back from the brink of dissaster to it's current state where we have more corps forming and taking the field than ever before in modern drum corps. I honestly don't know what your gripe is because your cryptic posts do nothing more than flamebait, but seriously... wake up!

Last word.

Edited by Contraholic