Rule Proposals

How about a proposal on shows being interesting and fun or at least involving the concept of spinning.

you must not have recieved the memo from wgi:there will be absolutely no joy allowed or tolerated in the ind world class !!!

Edited by dugg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always seem to miss those WGI memos. Was there a memo sent out that said there would be no form responsibilities ever again? I missed that one as well. I also missed the umbrella memo. What was up with umbrellas this year? Was there a sale? I miss fun guards. I totally get the concept of intellectual stimulation and performance art, etc., but ####. Where did the fun guards and music that doesn't require a music theory degree to listen to it go?

I always seem to miss those WGI memos. Was there a memo sent out that said there would be no form responsibilities ever again? I missed that one as well. I also missed the umbrella memo. What was up with umbrellas this year? Was there a sale? I miss fun guards. I totally get the concept of intellectual stimulation and performance art, etc., but ####. Where did the fun guards and music that doesn't require a music theory degree to listen to it go?

They were all in A class-- you may have missed them due to waiting to see the World Class guards.

They were all in A class-- you may have missed them due to waiting to see the World Class guards.

Here Here!

I do feel that collegiate groups have an unfair advantage in that they can often get free rehearsal facilities, are often funded by the college itself, student activity fees, and/or operating a guard class or classes (and yes, some colleges do this!) and obviously have a larger potential draw from marching band students. They are almost akin to scholastic units in this way-- however, it should be based on funding and recruiting, not on the size of the guard.

Also as WTXCG said, a separate college class might help recruit even more guards! I think it's a potential win-win situation for everyone.

I am in my college's winterguard (we were Independent A this year). We got $3300 from student government this year, and $5000 from the marching band - the rest we had to fundraise on our own (over $15000). We don't have to pay for practice facilities, but they were pretty hard to come by (intramural sports get preference, and the room we used last year was renovated so we can't practice with our full floor). Our dues were pretty low this year, but the fundraising amount was crazy - personal costs will go up next year as we move into Open class. There was a separate Collegiate class here in our circuit for the past ten years or so, but there were never more than three units in it. This year, we would have been the only ones, so we moved to IA (though we were already planning on going to a regional and Worlds). In fact, one of the other guards had to fold because they lost their practice space, and the other one fused with a nearby high school to make a new IA class guard. The main reason there was a specific college-level class was for recruitment, but the fact that the class didn't exist this year doesn't seem to have made an impact on it - we've had several high schoolers come to us at shows saying that they want to go to our school now so they can march with us.

That might seem like one incoherent paragraph, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't think that's the case at most schools - it has certainly never been the case here - and I don't see the beef with them competing as independent guards. I think college guards would have to be a lot more visual in every class for it to be feasible - as of right now, I can only think of two or three in each class at finals.

the annual "meeting of the minds" is forthcoming this weekend [may 15th-16th in chicago]! :lol:

it will be fun to see the eventual results of the proposals up for debate for this next season i found some of them to be quite amusing,calculating and verging on accusatory! :lol:

i believe that anyone can attend and witness this grand spectacle and flamboyant display of drama but only the "exalted ones" on the prestigious advisory board can vote. :lol:

Edited by dugg

Surprised I didn't see any proposals to remove age limits from independent units.

Although there is one to remove age limit from IW Percussion.

In my opinion removing the age limit from the lower classes would be a huge mistake. If any change would be proposed I would be in favor of raising the age limit in the open class to 25.

In my opinion removing the age limit from the lower classes would be a huge mistake. If any change would be proposed I would be in favor of raising the age limit in the open class to 25.

This is an excellent idea.

Why do you feel it would be a mistake? I'm just curious, as I've never attended one of these WGI meetings to find out what the arguments for or against this limit are.