Help! I want to buy a rifle!

gellio

McCormick's is great for buying...well, anything. I got my Elite 4 from them and it shipped incredibly fast. King is also really good - my guard uses them, 37". Length is really more preference than anything, and sometimes it comes down to weight. But our 37"s weigh the same as my 39", so...yeah. And they all cost in the same range from what I've seen - $30-$40.

http://www.mccormicksnet.com/catalog.asp?c...lick=104271-7-0

http://www.designsbyking.com/rifles_and_accessories.php

TAPE IT BEFORE YOU TOSS IT!

Michael beat me to it but let me re-iterate......

TAPE IT BEFORE YOU TOSS IT!!!!

reference website

Here is how Designs By King says to do it:

Taping instructions:

The ends of the rifle:

Wrap two to three inches into the rifle from the end, then overlapping in the reverse direction back to the end.

The neck of the rifle:

You will need to wrap four to five inches and then overlapping two to three times, each time going in the reverse direction.

Under the bolt:

Take off the bolt and wrap from the middle of the bolt area toward the tip of the rifle, and tape 3 inches past the bolt area. Now reverse the tape back to where you started in the center of the bolt area.

All rifles will eventually crack at the bolt slot heading toward the tip of the rifle, but the strapping tape will stop the crack from continuing. This can make a rifle last for years.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

Michael beat me to it but let me re-iterate......

TAPE IT BEFORE YOU TOSS IT!!!!

reference website

Here is how Designs By King says to do it:

Taping instructions:

The ends of the rifle:

Wrap two to three inches into the rifle from the end, then overlapping in the reverse direction back to the end.

The neck of the rifle:

You will need to wrap four to five inches and then overlapping two to three times, each time going in the reverse direction.

Under the bolt:

Take off the bolt and wrap from the middle of the bolt area toward the tip of the rifle, and tape 3 inches past the bolt area. Now reverse the tape back to where you started in the center of the bolt area.

All rifles will eventually crack at the bolt slot heading toward the tip of the rifle, but the strapping tape will stop the crack from continuing. This can make a rifle last for years.

Or buy on of the new "un-breakable" rifles

39" Rifle from Crown Store

You should get a strap.

Just my 2 cents about this - when I marched, I also got myself a rifle to play around with. It was fun and our section leader was really good about teaching those of us in the horn line about some of the tricks of the time. Back then a rifle could weigh as much as 10 pounds and were really real rifles with the firing pins removed and barrels blocked. Straps? Oh, yeah! Not only our guys, but the Bridgemen and Troopers used similar models during the mid sixties. There is nothing to replace the sound of 6 or 8 straps slapping in perfect unison during a spin or, the "crack" of a catch of a high toss. I think the straps probably weighed a couple of pounds of leather.

Rifleman.jpg

Here's a shot of Sullivan, one of our rifle section during a rehearsal with Old School rifle ... and that big honking strap they all used!

Good luck, have fun - (but remember, no matter how light they are these days, a spinning rifle can be almost lethal!) so be careful!

Puppet

OMG, that's SO dangerous!

Pshaw. Totally isn't THAT dangerous. I used to have a habit of catching blade tosses a half count late which means the hilt would spin

that extra half rotation and whap me on the hand (on sabre). I couldn't close my hand for a couple weeks. Haha. That's dangerous.

I learned pretty fast to not do that. Never had a problem with rifle....

Pshaw. Totally isn't THAT dangerous. I used to have a habit of catching blade tosses a half count late which means the hilt would spin

that extra half rotation and whap me on the hand (on sabre). I couldn't close my hand for a couple weeks. Haha. That's dangerous.

I learned pretty fast to not do that. Never had a problem with rifle....

Well, I was doing a speech in English class in High School and was using a rifle that had been broken, and was also taped. I went to do a small flip, and one half of the rifle went one way, the other half hit the glass in the classroom door (but didnt' break it).

Needless to say, I got an A on the demonstration because my recovery was awesome, but that just shows you how dangerous it is to even use a taped broken rifle.

Well, I was doing a speech in English class in High School and was using a rifle that had been broken, and was also taped. I went to do a small flip, and one half of the rifle went one way, the other half hit the glass in the classroom door (but didnt' break it).

Needless to say, I got an A on the demonstration because my recovery was awesome, but that just shows you how dangerous it is to even use a taped broken rifle.

Seems to me it shows that you shouldn't spin a broken rifle in a classroom and risk shattering glass all over the place.

Seems to me it shows that you shouldn't spin a broken rifle in a classroom and risk shattering glass all over the place.

Well, at the time, as far as I knew, it hadn't broken all the way, it just had a crack in it. Apparently, it *was* broken worse than I had thought. I wouldn't have knowingly spun a very broken in the classroom. That's just stupid.

Mistakes happen. . .

100% risk free demonstrations then.