DCA Business Direction question

DCA's business side being run by someone from DCI….  

59 members have voted

1. 1. If a George Hopkins, Jeff Fiedler or David Gibbs wanted to get involved with DCA in a STRICTLY BUSINESS standpoint aspect, would you be for or against this?

• For
    • Against

So thanks to posts from the Fan Network thread and convos I’ve been having on twitter

(*cough*@blksuitbouncer...follow me*cough*)

I came up with the above question. I only mentioned those three men because of their Business capabilities. Now this is on a STICKTLY BUSINESS standpoint. They would have NOTHING to do with the artistic direction.

So no #####ing about AMPS, Woodwinds, Synths, Getting rid of Honor Guards, Not being real drum corps or ANY OF THAT CRAP.

This is about business. Marketing, Sales, Expansion, Stability of the organization, Publicity, Contract negations, Dollars and Cents.

I’d love to hear any good why or why not reasons for your votes or better yet, since I know I left out quite a few forward thinking guys and gals working with DCI and WGI go ahead and drop them names.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. These guys have been around for what, a combined 50 years? They get DCI corps to survive on insane budgets. While it does cost a lot to run a DCI corps compared to a DCA corps, they are incredible at fundraising and keeping those costs down and keeping corps in the black.

I'd throw the folks from Carolina Crown into the mix. From what I understand, that is one extremely well-run organization.

Honestly, and no offense to anyone from any other corps.....it's too bad Vince Bruni is not with us anymore, because IMO, his business model for the Empire Statesmen is quite possibly the best I've ever seen for a drum corps. Especially an all-age drum corps.

Jim Costello and Bob Murray with the Caballeros weren't too shabby, either. :grouphug:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

The main reason I would be against it is because I like how DCA truly is the combined front of its member corps. The corps are DCA. Also, I'm a fan of the low-key and rough-around-the-edges image that DCA has. It's rustic, and I like that. It keeps DCA being a little bit more than just DCI's older and less-excellent brother-- it keeps DCA unique.

Which is certainly not to say that these gentlemen do not do a superb job with their own corps, and that DCI is somehow inferior or too slick in some way. But I stand by my love of DCA's little quirks.

Edited by faramirtook

Much as I would like to pick Dave Gibbs due to his long term and VERY successful tenure with BD, in all honesty, I'd have to go with Hop...no one else has kept a corps at the top and surviving financially with such MAJOR problems, especially back in the day.

Let's not forget running 2 corps financially.

Edited by Kyle B

Oops, actually I deleted stuff... Fixed now.