What are the chances of HD DVD's of DCA?

Regarding the content of the video - ie what gets captured of each corps' show, I asked the question of the video company several years ago. They told me they invite the corps directors to either submit a "script of the show" (opening shot on guard, pan to mellos, pull back to full corps, zoom in for drum feature, etc, etc...) or be present in the booth to coach where the action was going to take place next so they get the right shots. They said only a hand full of the corps bother to do so. Maybe they were just blowing smoke to deflect my question, but it seemed logical to me because having seen the shows in person and on the videos, it certainly seems that some corps get all their high moments captured well and other shows seem to get none of them captured. I would think if it was just blind luck, the ability to capture the right moments of the show would be more uniform for all of the corps.

Even if you had two or three chances to watch a show, you would get the idea of where the highlights were that needed to be captured, however the video company gets one shot at it each night so as a result you get a few images of people standing around doing nothing, drummers not drumming, horns taking a breath, guard member setting their weapon down and kneeling for 16 counts, etc.

I try to capture video through the season right from day one and then edit it all down after the season is over. I take the Champtionship videos as a bonus, if they are good quality that's great. If not, I have plenty of footage from the rest of the year to remember that particular season. Everyone may not have that ability, however I'm sure that there is at least one person in your particular corps who loves to shoot video. If you ask nice and give them a few bucks for their time, I'm sure they would be happy to share some footage with you that may be even more personal and interesting than anything a company could produce for you.

Ryan J

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BVP has done the videos for TOB for years and they invite all band directors to send highlights of things to look for, and I am pretty sure DCI has a similar process

BTW, there is still a big issue about the thousands of $$$ it requires to license a Blu-Ray DVD.

HOWEVER, the is a "hole" in the Sony Blu-Ray licensing. You can actually shoot HD and master it to Blu-Ray format on REGULAR DVDs, thereby avoiding the exorbanent Sony Blu-Ray licensing fees. The resulting DVD is playable on any Blu-Ray player.

However, you can only fit about 20 minutes of HD video per "normal" (DVD-5) DVD ... but that's enough to fit 1 corps, in glorious HD, per DVD.

We (at least I :satisfied: ) have the technology!

I shot the Kilties' home show, plus several other performances, on Panasonic HD (P2 format) and the result was stunning. Yea, you can burn Blu-ray format/AVCHD to standard DVDs and play them on Blu-ray and Playstations.

I say the Blu-ray licensing thing is ALMOST MOOT if you can deliver with the internet. Everyone buys their music online now (I do) -- why not just purchase and download HD DCA files and how you view them/burn them is your business?

If you ask nice and give them a few bucks for their time, I'm sure they would be happy to share some footage with you that may be even more personal and interesting than anything a company could produce for you.

Ryan J

I'm not so sure about individuals, but as an organization, they let us use up to 3 minutes from the Director's Copy multi-cam DVD in our marketing/recruiting video, which I just did. Didn't want to bother them for better files -- ripped from DVD was "good enough" for that purpose.

I believe that the quality of the recordings is a direct result of the monopoly afforded BVP by it's contract.

If BVP had to set up their equipment right next to the "ACME Drum Corps Recording Co.", they would each put out their very best product!

Then....the consumer would buy the BEST available recordings. Simple.

So, my suggestion is that DCA not sign "exclusive" contracts. Leave the process open to free enterprise.

While a nice idea, no. Too many issue of copyright.

Ok, I asked the thread question originally on May 13th and now with the benefit of the events of the 2009 DCA season behind us, I want to re-pose my question. First of all my understanding is that DCI's product is now HD. Secondly it appears from their website anyway that BVP is a healthy company producing videos for a large number of organizations. About 500 events according to their own site. It strikes me almost impossible that DCA would be the first organization to request their even be done in HD. Interestingly enough, there is a quote on their homepage stating, "The video clarity is one of, if not the best ever of a DCA event!" http://www.bandvideos.com/# A funny coincidence! But surely they are not trying to fool people into accepting that their current format is equal to HD? There are a number of tabs which I tried to use to find out if they offer HD for anyone else but when I tried them they weren't working.

I rejoined my old corps the Kilties in mid July to fill a spot that had become empty. Our marketing people arranged to have a semi uniformed runthrough (Kilts and spats and black shirts) filmed in HD. I can say unequivocally that that recording is superior to any DCI or DCA video I have ever owned or viewed, even though it was simply a hi cam vantage point done mainly as an instructional tool. I was able to obtain a copy which I played on a PS3 on my 42" HD TV and the sharpness and clarity was as we have come to expect from HD, in a word as close to perfect as the technology allows. I have also seen the video of our prelims performance provided the corps at DCA right after prelims and the difference is not even close.

So I ask my question again, maybe this time someone from DCA can weigh in, will the DCA nationals next year or anytime soon be done in HD? Is this something that has been discussed with BVP or another vendor? At what point will it be decided to dispense with dated technology?

And that file I gave you was fairly compressed. I still have to dump some other clips to disc for you... Racine Raiders pre-game exhibition...

I would have shot Prelims (Scott wanted me to) but I never got a "for-sure" answer on if this would be allowed again this year -- and didn't want to end up leaving that kind of equipment in the car in THAT neighborhood. What would I like to do on a video pass in the staff area? Throw two HD cameras next to each other. One wide, full-field, other zoomed-in. Go back to the hotel, do simple edit, go dwn to the hotel bar while it renders, and "presto" a very fine recording. Next year? Eh? Eh? Can we? Can we?

Edited by dannyboy

Granted yes, but you would be able to use this brand new equipment for all of your venues.

Yeah ... all of my DCA venues in California!!!!! :laughing:

That, with all of the DCI shows in California !!!!! :worthy:

Even if you had two or three chances to watch a show, you would get the idea of where the highlights were that needed to be captured, however the video company gets one shot at it each night so as a result you get a few images of people standing around doing nothing, drummers not drumming, horns taking a breath, guard member setting their weapon down and kneeling for 16 counts, etc.

Good point, Ryan. This is the hardest part about shooting corps. It will take me a few times to get the "gist" of each show, and make notes as to when / where to point the camera. And even then, you have to have the camera people in just the right spot to get the shot (a LOT of time, the pit gets in the way! ... also a common complaint of my wife, who shoots still photos for Drum Corps World).

Also, a problem is changes in the show (although less of a problem in DCA). When I shoot the Blue Devils, and I haven't shown up to rehearsals, I might see entirely new sets which I wasn't expecting!

I agree with Ryan ... Drum Corps is a sport, with one chance to capture everything. HOWEVER, that being said, you do NOT have to use the "real time mix" when producing DVDs ... you can go back and remix in the studio and take out the "standing around" shots (even if it's with a generic high-cam shot).

It is VERY difficult for DCA to ever offer "slick" videos without extensive post-production by someone who has shown proven success with video editing and graphics. Pro-version equipment also helps. The standard of comparison (DCI) is high, and DCA fans expect the best (despite what that might cost)! Even then. . . no effort will satisfy everyone.

I'm confident DCA will continue to improve its product, within the parameters of its budget. Isn't that as it should be?

:laughing:

[quote name='Fred Windish' date='Oct 13 2009, 03:08 PM' post='2677665'

I'm confident DCA will continue to improve its product, within the parameters of its budget. Isn't that as it should be?

Amen ... I wish more people (like the State of California!) would stay within the "parameters of its budget" ... or even HAVE a budget! :laughing: