Senseless Death

This is terrible news. RIP, Robert.

Fran

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the DCA Photo archives, I have some good shots of SoCal's snares at the championships 2008. If someone can identify which snare Robert was, I'll provide it to DCP for publication and/or to his family.

4323_80582794422_560159422_1772503_4443538_n.jpg

Robert is the snare closest to the camera. This is the best photo I have found of him so far. I am putting together a memorial for our website so if you have any better photos, I would appreciate if you could send them to me. membership@socaldream.org

Edited by MiniSopGuy

To Roberts family: I will pray for you and hope that you all find your way...

RIP Robert you will be missed by people who you never knew... :thumbdown:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=...&id=6814572

On May 13, 2009 at approximately 9:00 pm, the City Sound family loss one of its brothers to an act of random gang violence.

Robert Rodwell, snare tech and founding City Sound drumline member, was gunned down in front of his home in Los Angeles last night while trying to celebrate his daughters 7th birthday. The gunman approached Robert with gun pointed thinking he was a gang member. Robert, who just turned 28, repeatedly told the unidentified thug that he was not a gang member. The gunman ignored Robert’s pleas and shot him twice in the chest.

I have known Robert for 16 years. We met when he was in middle school. He lived not far from Washington High School where I taught the drumline. He would come to the school riding his bike and bother me while I was teaching my class asking me to teach him how to play drums. A year of so later he attended Washington High and was one of the most outstanding drummer I had the pleasure of teaching.

Robert went on to play drums for the world famous Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corps, where he was a snare drummer. It was his dream to give young kids in his community alternatives to gang violence through music. Robert would often meet with students after school on his own time and give them free drum lessons. He would tell them about his experiences with Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corps and of his tours and travels with them. He would let them know that they could do all the things he did and more if they stayed positive and steered clear of gang and drug activity.

Robert was liked and admired by all. He was like a son, a brother, and a friend to me. The loss of his life is a great loss to his family, to the Community, and to City Sound.

Brother Robert we will miss you.

Love always,

Nate

Picture of Robert at DCA 2008 Championships

robert.jpg

Photos provide by DCA & Tom Peashey...

This is a great loss to the our Dream family. I'll miss joking with him...

I don't understand the thought pattern behind the thugs who do things like this.

I hope someone can step in and carry on where he left off. From what I've read, he may have done enough, before being cut short, to keep the cycle he started of Drum Student and Teacher going.

I wonder if the killer has any idea what he actually did.

I just get home from work no more than 15 minutes ago to find out this horrible and tragic news. I never met him, but to see someone who worked to better the lives of others and show them a different path that gets gunned down by absolutely positively senseless violence really makes me :thumbdown:

God bless your soul Robert Rodwell.

Does anyone in Dream know if we can contribute/donate to his daughters/families welfare and where we may be able to send such?