Instrumentation Evolution

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Anyone want to tackle the question about the range of bugles used in 1972?

I have a bunch of lists...most of them for grocery shopping. Would you like one? :lol:

Make sure the list wasn't electronically produced. :lol:

I think the introduction of the front ensemble is the most important innovation in drum corps history. With grounded percussion instruments legalized, corps were able to expand on their repertoires and add new musical textures to pieces of music. I know I couldn't imagine some of my favorite drum corps shows without the assistance of a pit.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks. Anyone want to tackle the question about the range of bugles used in 1972?

Sure, Michael. Notes available from bottom to top...A,B flat, B, C, E, F, F sharp, G, A, then full chromatics from B flat up.

Sure, Michael. Notes available from bottom to top...A,B flat, B, C, E, F, F sharp, G, A, then full chromatics from B flat up.

In retrospect, it's kind of amazing arrangers were able to work around that.

If I remember right, the first drum corps high-tension drums to take advantage of kevlar drumheads appeared with Star / Blue Devils in the 1989 season.

Madison was testing them throughout the '88 season.