Best duets?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really can't go wrong with any BD duet (or small ensemble) in the past 30 or so years...and yes, I include the infamous 1989 sop duet in there as well. Fracks happen, even to the best of them, but MAN, that was a sweet duet.

How about the sop/mello duet in Garfield '85 during Make Your Garden Grow? Very sweet stuff as well.

thats the only one that counts

Exactly....and it's the one people remember.

Any number of people have mentioned 89 BD....the soloist was nails all year long, but the one night he had a bad night happened to be Finals, and now that year will always be known for The Frack.

I don't remember if they were a duet, but best two soloists in a corps, Chuck Naffier and Greg Blum, hands down, Colts 81 Summertime. Greg hit notes that just missed a couple of jets going overhead and Chuck was just smooth as silk.

Baritone duet in "Bridegroom" in Cavies 92 show. I love that piece of music.

There's a whole series of BD duets between a bari and sop, for a bunch of years starting in '92, where they play the solo unison. Actually there's an earlier example, in the '88 show, and it might be the best. As a listener it seems that Wayne Downey uses this pairing to evoke a tenor sax timbre, but you'd have to check with him to be sure. Really though the all time greatest duet is the sop duet in Dindi, the '80 Devil's closer, is easily the best ever. Either close the thread or start talking about second best after that one!

I totally agree with this. Where Wayne got the idea to use this tune could be a little mysterious until you consider that San Francisco's legendary KJAZ radio was only about 30 miles away from Concord and could have broadcast incredible vocal versions of this hauntingly beautiful Antonio Carlos Jobim masterpiece by Ella, Sinatra, Astruad Gilberto, Sarah Vaughan, Rosemary Clooney and many, many others from the mid sixties on. Although at first blush Dindi, like many great closers seems "too sweet" to translate to Drum Corps, it instantly joined in my personal pantheon of favorites (although not duets) like Softly As I Leave You, Make Our Garden Grow, Danny Boy, Flower Duet, Nadia and others that date way back when corps would routinely use a rather soft reflective tune as their exit number with a big production-like finish after they crossed the finish line and turned back to the stands. (Which from an historical effect standpoint was to prove that the horn line was just as strong at the end of the show as they were at the beginning.)

Yeah, Dindi it is!

Puppet

I liked the Glassmen mellos duet in 07

Gino Cipriani on the left....Duane Schimmel on the right.

2 whole sets the entire chart....true BD soloist drill!

Why march them....... They are the show, on the 50,~~ xoxo

Why march them....... They are the show, on the 50,~~ xoxo

It was amazing how little of the 2nd half of the show Duane marched.

Bacchinalia: Full chart, but it was fairly short.

Latin Implosion: Opening set, then moved to his solo spot, marched the rest of the chart.

Karn Evil 9: Full

La Fiesta: Marched? It was concert!!

Like a Lover: 2 whole sets

He also had a solo or feature of some sort in all 4 brass charts: Bacchinalia (sop scream at the very end), Latin Implosion (sop solo...originally a duet, which is why Tim Morning was standing behind him....got watered after DATR), La Fiesta (opening trio), Like a Lover (duet with Gino)