Synthesizers in drum corps

Um, no. Most discussion has been fine. Mike was referred to as narrow minded a couple of times, and that statement was quoted by others with extra berating remarks. That's not respecting another's point of view, either.

Why not just move on and try to get the discussion going in a more productive direction rather than contribute to the problem? We usually do that, it's just taking a little more time this time around.

I agree fully with what Short and Fast said about not having any particular set line. If I don't like what I see, I'll stop going. Simple. I'm hoping that doesn't happen with synths, but if it does, it'll be time to walk away and enjoy my memories and DVDs/CDs.

i will cry foul here Lance. it was in response to being told ones opinion was worthless to paraphrase. yet, it was proven that which he declares upon others is actually true for himself, just with differing views on the subject.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that some people who were incredibly against amps have admitted they're not completely evil. I wonder if the same will happen with snyths.

oh they still suck and shouldnt be there, but not totally evil :thumbup:

here's why i was incredibly against them...because we all knew it would lead to even more...like the topic of this thread.

DCI is on life support and has been for a few years. Unfortunately they dragged drum corps down with it. It's not "the activity" anymore. The activity died a long time ago but not many want to admit it. Many tried to express it and were constantly badgered for it. Many of the biggest supporters and fans like myself have just walked away with their money. So DCI just keeps changing and adding things pretending it will make it fresh and new. But it has only become more bland and boring. The object of drum corps was to try to make many sound like one. Now it will be one trying to sound like many. Too bad for "the kids" of the future they will never know the true joy and pleasure of drum corps. RIP

ya know, for as much grief as i give Mike and some others who can be condescending, i have to say this is on par with them. if anything, you hurt the argument many of us have been making

i will cry foul here Lance. it was in response to being told ones opinion was worthless to paraphrase. yet, it was proven that which he declares upon others is actually true for himself, just with differing views on the subject.

That doesn't require calling somebody narrow minded.

And you just proved it.

oh they still suck and shouldnt be there, but not totally evil :thumbup:

here's why i was incredibly against them...because we all knew it would lead to even more...like the topic of this thread.

I'm in the same boat with you. I don't like most of what I've heard with amps, but they're not completely evil. I'm hoping I'll end up with the same (or bettter, hopefully) opinion of synths.

Of course, if I end up hating it, that just means I'll be able to afford a nice 60 inch HDTV next summer. :)

That doesn't require calling somebody narrow minded.

And you just proved it.

i didnt call him narrow minded. i said "i know you are but what am i?"

:thumbup:

I'm in the same boat with you. I don't like most of what I've heard with amps, but they're not completely evil. I'm hoping I'll end up with the same (or bettter, hopefully) opinion of synths.

Of course, if I end up hating it, that just means I'll be able to afford a nice 60 inch HDTV next summer. :)

i tell ya what...after 08 i was hyped to check it out again. when the job situation forced me to sell my seats in Indy....i was bummed for a day. now, the more i hear and see on here.....i'll gladly give it a shot at Allentown prices, but, i already have a bad feeling about it, just like I did 5 years ago...especially knowing what else some want to propose.

Here's a story I have told before. A very good high school band several years ago was getting ready to perform at a marching band contest. I noticed some activity around the electronic keyboard player. A staff member was assisting the band member with getting the keyboard to work. Finally...just before the show started...the keyboard was working. After the opener....the keyboard could not be heard again. The poor band member had to just stand there and do nothing for the remainder of their show. It must have felt like an eternity.

I bring this story up because a lot of things can go wrong with electronics. Even though there have been only several dozen issues in DCI.....it does not mean that something won't happen in the future.

Is it going to take someone getting hurt, embarrassed or a finals performance being totally ruined to reconsider electronics of any kind ?

I have experienced Bb, amps, narration and electronics in the marching arts........IMO they totally ruin the experince

Safety? Sure, that's an issue, but I would probably feel a lot better after a quick jolt than from a full summer of nameless east coast drum corps' sleepless beat down. It's probably better for the body, too.

Equipment malfunctions? I'm not sure if anyone has ever experienced the amazing feat it was to play the G Kanstul three valve mellophones that the Cad.. nameless east coast drum corps used to use, but it was not one of consistently flawless performance every night. Those things took an act of will, magic, faith, and a little satan worship to work properly. It took three years to get my third valve slide to work at a poor level, and that's not even considering the times the second and third valve decided to just stop working.. mid-show. It's not like bugles were this cost effective thing, either. They weren't free, and there was no market for them outside of drum corps. At least there are sponsorships on some level with the normal horns. At least kids can show up to auditions with their own equipment and participate. I'm no great fan of F mellophones, but I would rather play one of those than that tired Kanstul (I hope is at the bottom of some scrap pile). At least the parts I got to play were sweet, though. Thanks, Jay.. uh.. I mean, nameless east coast drum corps' arranger.

Embarrassment? I'll wager there is no level of electrocution that could top the mental anguish of the '89 bd soloist debacle. Bless his heart, but dang.

The reality is brass sections aren't prevalent in most of the music kids listen to, and kids are the life blood of this activity. The reason.. the only reason your experience is ruined is because you bring your expectations to the show. I would love it if my favorite era was perpetuated forever, but that's what I use the Fan Network for. I challenge you to show up with no expectations, and let yourself enjoy the fruits of the hard work that goes into developing and performing the shows in front of you. I really don't want to come off as a butt head, but the sacrifices most of us have made and continue to make to keep teaching and designing for this activity are far greater than purchasing tickets. If you want to change it, go to the rules congress, make a proposal, and get involved.

Please don't take this as a personal assault. I appreciate the back-and-forths on this forum. It's a weakness of mine that I let it affect me so much, but understand that there are a lot of us that have given our lives to this activity.

JB

yes many of us have given a lot to this activity, some from birth

Man, I'm already three pages old. You guys post too fast. Wait, I'm probably too slow.

J