Synthesizers in drum corps

It's interesting to see where different people draw the line for when they decide not to attend shows anymore. I wonder where mine will be?

For me it was narration and amped singing. As much as I could easily live without amps at all, I can bear it in the pit as long as they aren't cranked to 11. The narration and singing was just too much cheese for me. You may be exiting at woodwinds, or perhaps at your first show with synths this year, who knows...

Edited by kusankusho

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. because YOU find it bogus doesn't mean it is. For goodness sake, it's drum and bugles corps, not Roland and Mic corps...

These are my own opinions...I don't expect you..or anyone...to agree. You say it's not 'Roland and Mic corps'...well those things ARE part of drum corps in DCI.

2. even when I agree I like a change, you don't like it...there is a difference between evolution and revolution. Valve and piston to 2 valve is evolution. Marimba to Roland with a stack is revolution.

No, IMO it's not. It's just a continued evolution from where drum corps was when I started to where it is today. Electronics and amps and microphones are not that big a deal.

3. Saying something is a molehill doesn't deny the fact that IT WAS A PROBLEM. How many shows did the Bluecoats have problems? 50%? 75% How many corps had volume problems? From the shows I saw it was close to 80%, and I saw a LOT of shows last year. I guess an actual verifiable majority counts as a molehill nowadays...

Well, I don't see THAT at all...80%? At the shows I attended it was nowhere near that, and in fact the balance was very good. So yes, this is what I call making a mountain of a molehill.

I dont' consider the things I have read as 'worthwhile' because IMO they are primarily molehills and isolated events being blown up into massive Problems by those who dislike the very idea of these new things from the beginning.

the defense rests your honor.

the defense rests your honor.

Actually, since amps and electronics are now the status quo, you'd more properly be the prosecution.

I respect your decision and support your right to make it.

I do have to ask, annoying moments of narration notwithstanding: Did you appreciate the skill with which the 2007 Cadets marched and played? I ask because, I too was put off by some of the talking, but the "regular drum corps" part of their show was so compelling that I was able to move past it. Is it at the top of my list of shows to watch? No. But it also would not drive me away from the activity. I will be happy to see this year's Cadets show and happier still if it has little to no vocal text. I could appreciate singing of parts of WSS, if it is well done, but can also live without it.

I am just shocked that some corps doing narration/using electronics has ruined EVERYTHING for some folks. I certainly remember shows/elements that have turned me off to that particular years offerring from that corps, but to just say, this is SO BAD that I have to stay away seems extreme.

What happens if in 2010, someone uses no narration or synths and their show is AMAZING? (Heck Phantom last year) Are you willing to pass up the opportunity to see that?

the 2007 cadets were amazing vsually, and percussion placement aside, incredible musically. the narration took possibly their most talented corps and made it secondary emphasis

You do the same thing with your posts. We all do more often than we probably should.

Everybody, please calm down, and try to keep it more civil than this. Everybody in this discussion is better than where this seems to be heading.

:tongue:

:thumbup:

For me it was narration and amped singing. As much as I could easily live without amps at all, I can bear it in the pit as long as they aren't cranked to 11. The narration and singing was just too much cheese for me. You may be exiting at woodwinds, or perhaps at your first show with synths this year, who knows...

Woodwinds is definite. I won't attend another show if they become the norm...maybe if some corps stay with the non-woodwind approach, though.

I don't know about synths yet. I doubt I'll like them, but I honestly have no frame of reference yet. I've never seen or heard a marching band show with them.

Actually, since amps and electronics are now the status quo, you'd more properly be the prosecution.

true, so i rest there.

hell, as lazy as i can be anymore, i'll rest anywhere thats comfy :thumbup:

the 2007 cadets were amazing vsually, and percussion placement aside, incredible musically. the narration took possibly their most talented corps and made it secondary emphasis

Hardly. That show was very well integrated...the narration carried the show along quite well, and the brass/percussion were never 'secondary'. That show was a fine use of narration IMO, far more successful than 2008.

Hardly. That show was very well integrated...the narration carried the show along quite well, and the brass/percussion were never 'secondary'. That show was a fine use of narration IMO, far more successful than 2008.

once again, you devalue someone's OPINION and prop up yours at the same time. IMO, the Cadets of 2007 and 2008 were a travesty, because of the narration, and because it's my opinion, it's as valid as yours.

if you are always going to fall back on the "it's my opinion" you have no right to disparage other's opinions while castigating those that don't agree with your opinions...