Synthesizers in drum corps

We (The people in favor of all-acoustic drum corps) are talking about our disagreement with the current DCI staff's changing the unique sound of drum corps forever.....little by little. Has absolutely nothing to do with the members hard work, dedication, drive and great (Universal) experiences they get out of drum corps...

NOT what I said! I am not pulling out the 'its all about the kids' card. I'm saying if you go watch them up close and out of uniform, they are doing the same thing kids in drum corps have always done: marching, playing, and spinning their butts off all summer long. All the other "stuff" is really peripheral to what makes drum corps drum corps. Go watch kids at a practice -- you'll see.

----

mike

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I contend that if they look closely enough they will see it hasnt passed them by; although the end-product continues to change, the core of the activity has not. Don't judge it by the performance but by the performers. Go watch a corps practice and I think you''ll see all the things that REALLY mattered to you remain the same. Sure the music and drill and instrumentation have changed. BUT the fundamentals (kids marching and playing on a football field pushing themselves to their limits) have not. Go LOOK THEM IN THE FACE when they're working their butts off at rehearsal. Go sit with them at the food truck. You will see yourself and the activity you grew up with looking right back at you.

----

mike

and i agree with all you said.

but....

the fan paying their hard earned money may not...and often times doesnt....care about that. they go to be entertained. sure they know about the hard work the kids do, but for dci prices, they want to feel like they went home happy. and no matter how much you tout the kids, if people dont like the product, they wont be happy or keep paying

No. OTOH if there a lot of things you DO like still worth paying for you should still buy a ticket!

----

mike

so....you say for those corps i dislike, i should give them money? or when i send my ticket stub in, can i request my money only goes to certain corps?

so....you say for those corps i dislike, i should give them money? or when i send my ticket stub in, can i request my money only goes to certain corps?

uggh no. im saying that if you enjoy most aspects of a performance, set aside the part you don't like (just like the brussel sprouts!)

sure they know about the hard work the kids do, but for dci prices, they want to feel like they went home happy. and no matter how much you tout the kids, if people dont like the product, they wont be happy or keep paying

NOT talking about the kids hard work and experience, AM talking about what it IS they (the fans) are watching. My point is that what they're watching has *not* changed substantially. It's still about kids marching, playing, and spinning on a football field. THAT"S what the product is. It's not the video and it's not the recording, it's not the instruments or show design, not the musical choices or the instrument keys (all these things *do* affect how *much* I enjoy a particular show to a certain degree). It's kids running their ##### off on the field playing music and spinning flags and weapons. Newsflash : THAT STILL GOES ON !!! People who say it's no longer X, Y or Z and define the activity in those terms instead of what the essence of the activity is are just being dishonest. Because that's what it was, is and will continue to be. The essence of the activity *hasn't* changed.

AND I gave you a good test: go watch the kids out of uniform at a practice. See if what *they* are doing is what *you* were doing when you marched. Yeah....I thought so.

----

mike

ps full disclosure: i *like* acoustic-only. it's awesome. not a huge fan of electronics in general. but it would be dishonest of me to say "it's ruined drum corps" 'cause what i like IS STILL THERE !! having a brass line rip my face off still happens (already did once this year !!) seeing a rifle line NAIL an ensemble 6 and you hear the strap snap in the silence. freakin' awesome. sorry all that stuff is STILL THERE even if there's strings under a pit feature.

Edited by corpsband

uggh no. im saying that if you enjoy most aspects of a performance, set aside the part you don't like (just like the brussel sprouts!)

i like pro football....but if the game on tv is bad, i change the channel. like most of America. and sometimes, when it comes to entertainment you have to pay for, all it takes is one thing to turn people off

NOT talking about the kids hard work and experience, AM talking about what it IS they (the fans) are watching. My point is that what they're watching has *not* changed substantially. It's still about kids marching, playing, and spinning on a football field. THAT"S what the product is. It's not the video and it's not the recording, it's not the instruments or show design, not the musical choices or the instrument keys (all these things *do* affect how *much* I enjoy a particular show to a certain degree). It's kids running their ##### off on the field playing music and spinning flags and weapons. Newsflash : THAT STILL GOES ON !!! People who say it's no longer X, Y or Z and define the activity in those terms instead of what the essence of the activity is are just being dishonest. Because that's what it was, is and will continue to be. The essence of the activity *hasn't* changed.

AND I gave you a good test: go watch the kids out of uniform at a practice. See if what *they* are doing is what *you* were doing when you marched. Yeah....I thought so.

----

mike

ps full disclosure: i *like* acoustic-only. it's awesome. not a huge fan of electronics in general. but it would be dishonest of me to say "it's ruined drum corps" 'cause what i like IS STILL THERE !! having a brass line rip my face off still happens (already did once this year !!) seeing a rifle line NAIL an ensemble 6 and you hear the strap snap in the silence. freakin' awesome. sorry all that stuff is STILL THERE even if there's strings under a pit feature.

they are not doing what I did when i marched...i marched DCA. so no kid in a DCi corps is doing what I did. two totally different animals.

but.....if i have to listen THRU voice to hear a corps play or hear electronic keyboards....that DOESNT appeal to me regardless of what else is going on...and many feel the same way.

all it can take is ONE thing to kill the enjoyment of something...even if you like most aspects, that ONE thing can turn a person off. and it is turning people off.

My dad has been around drum corps since 1962. One viewing of 2005 quarters has turned him off of DCI. this is a guy who tried to get his best friend to reschedule his wedding so he could see Phantom somewhere 3 hours away from here since it was the closest they got to home.

but all it took was a little Zone and a few yowzas and he hasnt been back.

and he isnt alone

negative? How? I didn't want it to come out like that. I'm actually saying that I AM FOR electronics as long as, like for everything else, it's used tastefully and intelligently. I also agreed with you that low brass are indeed tough sections to fill, BUT top 12 seems to be quite effective nonetheless.

I also didn't think you were accusing me. Ah I guess I wrote my post before my morning coffee. lol My apologies.

I'm only mentioning replacing whole sections by synths because it was mentioned before as an option by someone else. I'm just here to say that to me it's crazy to even consider that!

No corps probably would consider it, as you said , but some people on here are and I just want to tell them that I think IT'S CRAZY.

That's all.

I guess we are really not reading each other correctly... it happens

:blink:

Thanks for the clarification. Yet another coke...or in this case a coffee I owe a new associate.

We agree on much and thanks again for posting your opinions. Don't hold back. And, cream? half and half? Skim? Sugar...one of the substiutes? On me.

i like pro football....but if the game on tv is bad, i change the channel. like most of America. and sometimes, when it comes to entertainment you have to pay for, all it takes is one thing to turn people off

Me too -- to another game right? But if you could only get to see pro football 2 or 3 times a season you'd probably watch just because you like pro football. Even IF it's the pathetic iggles playing. Of course if it's the RAT BIRDS I'd learn to not like pro football.

----

mike

go steelers!

they are not doing what I did when i marched...i marched DCA. so no kid in a DCi corps is doing what I did. two totally different animals.

You and your corps didn't march, play and spin?

all it can take is ONE thing to kill the enjoyment of something...even if you like most aspects, that ONE thing can turn a person off. and it is turning people off.

If they were no longer marching , playing or spinning I'd understand that. I rolled my eyes at Yowza too. But so what. Could they still play their butts off while marching and spinning? Absolutlely. Did it ruin my enjoyment of the activity? No -- just didnt like the show much. But positing that hearing a synth part is going to RUIN the activity is essentially deciding in advance to be offended on principle not be being offended in experience. It's just not a very big part of the overall picture. When a soloist FRAKS a note are you so offended you stop going to shows? After all that one single note probably RUINED the entire show like fingernails on a chalkboard. Silly. Pretty much the same argument. People did insane things in the pit to try to reproduce colors they can now get from a keyboard. The intent both time is get the color (maybe an eerie PAD sound). Now they get a high quality reliable PAD sound instead of whatever the bowed keyboard would produce. It's NOT substantially different and is probably BETTER. And this is the ONE THING that destroys the activity. Ooooookkkkkk.

----

mike