Synthesizers in drum corps

there is no way any current circuit...with the possible exception of SDCA...can double their attendance from fans.

I also wager that DCA's attendance won't show an increase this year either. Safe bet based on past history. There are a finite number of people who will/can enjoy a drum corps show. Locally, that tops out at about 3,000 for a local 5 corps show. Regional full show ranges between 8k and 15k. And finals week between 3k (OC) to 25k per show.

I don't know what the biggest DCA local shows draw off hand. In the Midwest a DCA corps would participate in a local DCI contest mostly. And Arizona doesn't have a DCA corps. In California, I've seen them again...at DCI events. How many local DCA shows are there anyway?

And isn't this, in itself, a plus for DCI giving opportunity to DCA corps for them to perform in a DCI show? Maybe that offsets the synths in paid butts in seats. Just make sure there's a DCA corps on the bill. I like the offset there and even if the fan leaves before the synths take the field....well, at least you got their money.

Are there any DCA corps worth the cost of enduring synthesizers for you? Just a thought.

i was being sarcastic when i said double it Tom...look at the smilie used. yes doubling is an improbability, but growing it isnt.

now i grant you this year i am sure attendance will be down all over due to the economy...i hope i'm wrong, but thats my guess. finals and regionals may not suffer too much, but regular season shows may see the worst hit. especially those that charge $40 per seat to sit between the 40s for 5 corps.

as for DCA shows...really the only show i ever paid attention to was hershey, which was most years a dca/dci show. funny note tho...in 96 all seniors like 9k. 97 all juniors down to like6 k.

as for dca corps performing in local shows...sure...what local shows are left. yo can pretty much bet after mid july there isnt much out west for the 2 western corps.

and if DCA added synths....my views would be 100% exactly the same. while i have softened on amplification alone, the rest...ditch it. speaking, singing, electronics like synths, bass, guitars etc...goodbye.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was being sarcastic when i said double it Tom...look at the smilie used. yes doubling is an improbability, but growing it isnt.

now i grant you this year i am sure attendance will be down all over due to the economy...i hope i'm wrong, but thats my guess. finals and regionals may not suffer too much, but regular season shows may see the worst hit. especially those that charge $40 per seat to sit between the 40s for 5 corps.

as for DCA shows...really the only show i ever paid attention to was hershey, which was most years a dca/dci show. funny note tho...in 96 all seniors like 9k. 97 all juniors down to like6 k.

as for dca corps performing in local shows...sure...what local shows are left. yo can pretty much bet after mid july there isnt much out west for the 2 western corps.

and if DCA added synths....my views would be 100% exactly the same. while i have softened on amplification alone, the rest...ditch it. speaking, singing, electronics like synths, bass, guitars etc...goodbye.

fair...very fair. you represent your side of the debate very well.

Is there anyone charging $40 for a local show? That would be a tough ticket to go for. I get VIP tickets for the Academy show because of my charitible giving. What I also try to do is invite AZ high school kids who dig marching band and perhaps want something more and know about the Academy. I've invited a couple of high school students to join our group for Saturday night at the Tempe Arts Center.

I figure, for all the debatethat's going on, from what is mainly the fan in me's standpoint, as a drum corps supporter, I want young people to continue to be introduced to this zaniness, knowing full well the odds in my history of doing this are about 1/3 stick. Yeah, about 1 in 3 stick to drum corps...the other 2 don't make the necessary commitment. It's always been an odds game.

And, for the most part, I've been associated with corps who had a similar philosophy as I do. Since there are usually open spots, kids cut themselves. I've seen kids do some amazing things when faced with adveristy. I've seen that sixth snare drummer take a spot on bass, cymbals, in the pit or pick up a horn or a flag just so he can learn drum corps better and make the snare line in the following year. That's one of the coolest things about drum corps for me. I also see kids quit...early...or worse...in May right before the real fun begins.

I've been with kids when their grandmother died, or their parents told them they were getting a divorce. I've raced for an inhaler and made sure the right number of ice packs were always on hand. Yeah, I spent most of my years in the cook truck or stirring over a roaster. But, it's amazing how much you learn from that vantage point.

I think I've had over 400,000 thank you's in my drum corps career...whether it's some watermelon, a bowl of soup or chicken off the grill. I usually thank the MMs right back for all they do everyday to amaze me and make me proud that I have so much love for this drum corps thing.

I don't think the synth player is going to get any less watermelon from me, any less soup, or get denied seconds (after everyone gets their firsts of course). Anyway, that's not what this is all about is it. As fans...we don't think we are going to like synths in our drum corps. But, really...for myself...I can put the fan aside and focus on these amazing young people and this amazing opportunity I am privledged enough to get to introduce them to in some way. One in three on average get to return the favor by providing me with summers of joy as I grow older. It's worth every moment in those hot and sweaty kitchen trailers and the early mornings and the late evenings. It's worth every dollar I've ever spent. Synths or no synths.

fair...very fair. you represent your side of the debate very well.

Is there anyone charging $40 for a local show? That would be a tough ticket to go for. I get VIP tickets for the Academy show because of my charitible giving. What I also try to do is invite AZ high school kids who dig marching band and perhaps want something more and know about the Academy. I've invited a couple of high school students to join our group for Saturday night at the Tempe Arts Center.

I figure, for all the debatethat's going on, from what is mainly the fan in me's standpoint, as a drum corps supporter, I want young people to continue to be introduced to this zaniness, knowing full well the odds in my history of doing this are about 1/3 stick. Yeah, about 1 in 3 stick to drum corps...the other 2 don't make the necessary commitment. It's always been an odds game.

And, for the most part, I've been associated with corps who had a similar philosophy as I do. Since there are usually open spots, kids cut themselves. I've seen kids do some amazing things when faced with adveristy. I've seen that sixth snare drummer take a spot on bass, cymbals, in the pit or pick up a horn or a flag just so he can learn drum corps better and make the snare line in the following year. That's one of the coolest things about drum corps for me. I also see kids quit...early...or worse...in May right before the real fun begins.

I've been with kids when their grandmother died, or their parents told them they were getting a divorce. I've raced for an inhaler and made sure the right number of ice packs were always on hand. Yeah, I spent most of my years in the cook truck or stirring over a roaster. But, it's amazing how much you learn from that vantage point.

I think I've had over 400,000 thank you's in my drum corps career...whether it's some watermelon, a bowl of soup or chicken off the grill. I usually thank the MMs right back for all they do everyday to amaze me and make me proud that I have so much love for this drum corps thing.

I don't think the synth player is going to get any less watermelon from me, any less soup, or get denied seconds (after everyone gets their firsts of course). Anyway, that's not what this is all about is it. As fans...we don't think we are going to like synths in our drum corps. But, really...for myself...I can put the fan aside and focus on these amazing young people and this amazing opportunity I am privledged enough to get to introduce them to in some way. One in three on average get to return the favor by providing me with summers of joy as I grow older. It's worth every moment in those hot and sweaty kitchen trailers and the early mornings and the late evenings. It's worth every dollar I've ever spent. Synths or no synths.

most shows run by YEA charge at least $40 to sit between the 40's. maybe i'm spoiled, as I like to sit close, but for a 5 corps show, no way. Allentown is $50 for two nights, which is every World Class corps.

as for the odds of sticking...maybe it's where I teach....and i dont really get into my views on this stuff, my job is to teach....the kids all say "eh, lame" when it comes to this new toys being added.

and dont get me wrong Tom...I too have seen kids do amazing things. I've sponsored kids that marched hurt all year but sucked it up. I've served food at camps, picked up kids at airports....2 1/2 hours away from the camp i may add...all on my own dime, and did it with a smile.

but the average fan, and even many diehards still go to be entertained. ya know, Up With People was a wonderful thing too...but it pretty much stopped entertaining people and died off. so, to many in the stands, just because the kids are great and do awesome things ( I can hear it now..."Come on Jimmy, play that Db flat chord with your left hand for mom!") if they dont like it.....they stop paying for it.

Yea, that's the same cop-out argument I used to make when I argued against the move to Bb/F a few years ago. Then I had first hand experience with a Bb/F line, and I would never, ever go back.

I don't think you all understand just how little those sponsorships buy. And remember, not everyone has 'em.

What argument about the switch to Bb/F ? I hope not the creative side since that has NOTHING to do with Bb/f discussion of mine. The switch was great for DC but to me, it lost it's balls and swapped for intonation and color, an understandable choice since the move to 150 will beef up the horns to be almost as loud as the G lines.. But let's face reality, drum corps has become the moving billboard for the music industry.

Then invite more tuba players to drum corps shows...and then help sponsor them if possible.

Did I at any time in my comment mentioned I didn't know how to prevent synths to replace contras? I know how to recruit members... thanks :)

I'm bringing two tuba kids to the Academy's show on Saturday evening...paying for the tickets. Both of them are marching band geeks and if it works...well.

Good for you! :tongue:

Clearly, the future of this activity is in getting a good number of tuba and bari/euphs to continue to auditioning. They are the toughest holes to fill year in and year out.

Of course, and that always has been the case, but most corps seems to manage pretty well with their recruitment, mostly the top 12, with their 10 to 14 tubalines. Sure doesn't look like they have recruitment struggles.

The only valid point they bring is that 14 tubas cost a lot more than electronic equipment.

I'm sure synths will be used in a great way by some corps and it will be interesting to hear new sounds. But when some people start talking about replacing whole sections of a brassline, then what's the point of having a brassline at all? What's the point of being on a football field and calling it drumcorps? Just transfer the WGI to a summer schedule. Here, Summerguard/Summerdrumline International.

Done.

:blink:

What do you mean by "come from DCI"?

I do not recall seeing some of the things the anti-amp people post as DCI's rationale for the change come from DCI. That's all. Maybe they did, but I just don't recall seeing things like 'smaller pits' come from DCI.

you're right lets stay at x number of fans year after year instead of possibly doubling it. :blink:

Well, there is no way of knowing how many people have 1) left and 2) arrived, for whatever reason or reasons. All DCI can and should do is look at the totality of the audience, including it's makeup when possible, and do what it think best to continue to attract a good-sized audience over the course of the season.

I do not recall seeing some of the things the anti-amp people post as DCI's rationale for the change come from DCI. That's all. Maybe they did, but I just don't recall seeing things like 'smaller pits' come from DCI.

Hop himself said it

Well, there is no way of knowing how many people have 1) left and 2) arrived, for whatever reason or reasons. All DCI can and should do is look at the totality of the audience, including it's makeup when possible, and do what it think best to continue to attract a good-sized audience over the course of the season.

they can easily track stuff like this just by keeping a database of who orders tickets from them.