Synthesizers in drum corps

As we used to say at the rookie talent shows, "Skin to Win!"

Man I miss those pre-PC days sometimes.

i know nothing of which you speak :blink::blink::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No indictment of anyone with the statement; just that, for some . . . it's a hard thing to accept.

. . . to see a thing you love feel like it's passing you by.

I contend that if they look closely enough they will see it hasnt passed them by; although the end-product continues to change, the core of the activity has not. Don't judge it by the performance but by the performers. Go watch a corps practice and I think you''ll see all the things that REALLY mattered to you remain the same. Sure the music and drill and instrumentation have changed. BUT the fundamentals (kids marching and playing on a football field pushing themselves to their limits) have not. Go LOOK THEM IN THE FACE when they're working their butts off at rehearsal. Go sit with them at the food truck. You will see yourself and the activity you grew up with looking right back at you.

----

mike

So if I expect to like Brussels Sprouts, then magically I will like them then?????

I expect DCI will have a lot of things that make noise on the field outside of horns and drums. Problem is I either go or stay home not because of what I expect but what I like to listen to.

No but if you expect them you won't be shocked and angry when you see they're on your plate. Doesn't mean the meal is worthless --- put the brussel sprouts aside and enjoy the roast beef and mashed potatoes!

----

mike

I contend that if they look closely enough they will see it hasnt passed them by; although the end-product continues to change, the core of the activity has not. Don't judge it by the performance but by the performers. Go watch a corps practice and I think you''ll see all the things that REALLY mattered to you remain the same. Sure the music and drill and instrumentation have changed. BUT the fundamentals (kids marching and playing on a football field pushing themselves to their limits) have not. Go LOOK THEM IN THE FACE when they're working their butts off at rehearsal. Go sit with them at the food truck. You will see yourself and the activity you grew up with looking right back at you.

----

mike

Agree.

The activity now is much harder than when I marched 75-80 that's for sure. God bless all the members everywhere. Stick it out; don't give up.

And to those on this thread that do nothing but complain....Things change, get over it!

Edited by xbones7480

----

mike

:tongue::blink::tongue:

This post wins

I contend that if they look closely enough they will see it hasnt passed them by;

Don't agree

although the end-product continues to change, the core of the activity has not.

Depends on which core you are referring to......no ?

Don't judge it by the performance but by the performers. Go watch a corps practice and I think you''ll see all the things that REALLY mattered to you remain the same. Sure the music and drill and instrumentation have changed. BUT the fundamentals (kids marching and playing on a football field pushing themselves to their limits) have not. Go LOOK THEM IN THE FACE when they're working their butts off at rehearsal. Go sit with them at the food truck. You will see yourself and the activity you grew up with looking right back at you.

----

mike

Nice post (Try).....

We (The people in favor of all-acoustic drum corps) are talking about our disagreement with the current DCI staff's changing the unique sound of drum corps forever.....little by little. Has absolutely nothing to do with the members hard work, dedication, drive and great (Universal) experiences they get out of drum corps...

Don't agree

Depends on which core you are referring to......no ?

Nice post (Try).....

We (The people in favor of all-acoustic drum corps) are talking about our disagreement with the current DCI staff's changing the unique sound of drum corps forever.....little by little. Has absolutely nothing to do with the members hard work, dedication, drive and great (Universal) experiences they get out of drum corps...

The members choose (and may even like) to be a part of a corps with a staff choosing to do all of the things you vocalize hatred for on here. To say those comments have "absolutely nothing" to do with the members marching in the corps you're talking about doesn't quite ring true to me. Don't get me wrong. Members should just let it roll off, but to imply that comments about what corps are doing have nothing to do with the members just doesn't work.

Wow...so much negative stuff here. I never accused you of anything. I simply stated facts. Contras and euphs are generally the toughest sections to fill.

The rest of your comments come from the gloom and doom. No corps in their right mind would ever consider replacing tubas with synths. That is like fear mongering one side of the spectrum is so adept with.

negative? How? I didn't want it to come out like that. I'm actually saying that I AM FOR electronics as long as, like for everything else, it's used tastefully and intelligently. I also agreed with you that low brass are indeed tough sections to fill, BUT top 12 seems to be quite effective nonetheless.

I also didn't think you were accusing me. Ah I guess I wrote my post before my morning coffee. lol My apologies.

I'm only mentioning replacing whole sections by synths because it was mentioned before as an option by someone else. I'm just here to say that to me it's crazy to even consider that!

No corps probably would consider it, as you said , but some people on here are and I just want to tell them that I think IT'S CRAZY.

That's all.

I guess we are really not reading each other correctly... it happens

:blink: