Synthesizers in drum corps

When multi-key arrived, it was like the end of the world on RAMD. I actually think the outcry was greater for that than for this, to be honest. There's no real way of measuring that, just going off my gut reaction and my own experience.

I was around on RAMD for that and I must disagree. Certainly there was a great outcry, but I don't recall the number of walk-aways (if any) that we're seeing with mics and synths. Again - it was still accoustic.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That just one of the reasons why I don’t consider supporting drum corps as philanthropy and seeing it as buying privilege. I gave drum corps a pretty good chunk of change this year but for entirely selfish purposes, mainly to further my entertainment.

As I see it, that's the only reason anyone should ever have for giving their money to drum corps, not just in the form of donations but also when it comes to tickets and merchandise. Why pay money for something you don't enjoy? Drum corps should receive your money because they've earned it by offering something in return - whether that's entertainment, experiences to last a lifetime, or whatever - and not because of any feeling of obligation. I cringe whenever I see someone suggesting otherwise, that we should give simply because it's the right thing to do.

That's a disingenuous argument. How many people came to drum corps only because of a grounded pit? How many people came to drum corps only because of a third valve, or any valve at all? How many people came to drum corps only because only themed shows, asymmetrical drill, the elimination of concert numbers, the elimination of inspection, or any other change in the activity that you could possibly think of? I don't think you'd find a single person who would point to one of these changes alone as the sole reason they are a fan.

I agree completely. No one comes just because of the changes you mention, nor will they because of mics or synths. But people will leave because of them. The logical conclusion, then is that changes do nothing for growing the fanbase, and in fact can erode it. DCI will not thrive by eroding it's fanbase. We've been saying this all along.

Yeah, that's so true. I really miss the communal aspect of it-when junior corps was really a community youth movement. When DCI became the marching 'major leagues' or whatever that's when I think a lot of the mission of drum corps was sacrificed.

Yeah - it was pretty cool when I was a kid to go to school and see other people wearing the same corps jacket as you. You still get that kind of community feel in Open class.

That’s cool, thanks for the honesty Matt S. I’ll save the crap about you’re missing some really great stuff then as tastes are tastes. I have had to learn to appreciate drum corps as it changed and without that initial, personal connection, I’d have no interest in it today. I think I’m currently in the late adolescence period with DCI, you know, speaking up and angrily asserting myself, breaking the ties and bonds, preparing to leave the nest behind

As I see it, that's the only reason anyone should ever have for giving their money to drum corps, not just in the form of donations but also when it comes to tickets and merchandise. Why pay money for something you don't enjoy? Drum corps should receive your money because they've earned it by offering something in return - whether that's entertainment, experiences to last a lifetime, or whatever - and not because of any feeling of obligation. I cringe whenever I see someone suggesting otherwise, that we should give simply because it's the right thing to do.

Once again, we're in agreement. This is why I haven't been back since '05. I know I've missed some great shows, like Spartacus, but having to sit through all the other stuff just isn't worth the investment of time and money anymore.

When multi-key arrived, it was like the end of the world on RAMD. I actually think the outcry was greater for that than for this, to be honest. There's no real way of measuring that, just going off my gut reaction and my own experience.

RAMD at that point, and especially whats left of it now had a much older user base than DCP has ever had.

And think lot of the "end of the world" was driven by a few on RAMD. And I'm not even including Ms Burr on that as she hated just about any change since... well not even sure what her reference of "real drum corps" was. I didn't discover DCP until after multi-key so no idea what the reaction was here. And by the time amps came up, RAMD was on the decline (mainly due to cross posters) so there were less people to squak.

Far as DC on the Internet, I only found RAMD one day when I was messing around on our PC that had just been hooked up. Was messing around the newsgroup search engine and tried a few words. Then I tried "drum corps" and almost fell out of my chair when a few newsgroups popped up. At the time, RAMD had the biggest number of hits or sumthin' so I tried that.

then it all went to hell :tongue:

I don't expect any one to ever say that they became a fan of drum corps because DCI introduced electronics.

that statement right there helps kill some of the logic used for it's passage