Synthesizers in drum corps

It's sad. Plain and simple. It does not bring a tear to my eye, it does not inspire me, it does not make me smile, it does not impress me. Anybody can make those sounds and it really cheeses up the corps. I'll be laughing/crying all through finals in my prime seats and be going next year because Star of Indiana will be there, but from 2011 on it'll be bye bye Drum Corps until they come down from the BOA perch which will probably be never. So sad. A truly original art form has died. Bring on the woodwinds and complete the death of drum corps please.

Are you selling your stuff on eBay, too?

I've seen BLAST, completely different medium and ideals. It's much simpler to play these emulated sounds on keyboard than it is to play the actual instruments it is emulating. Any keyboardist with a bit of talent could make BD, but not just any brass/percussionist could.

It's easier to play the sounds that it's emulating, but it's also the only LEGAL method. And AUDIBLE. Plus, nobody said you have to play preexisting instruments on a synth. Certain corps just choose to do so.

Also, there are many corps where you could say "Any marimba player..." or "Any contra player..." so the synth remark is moot.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it was not 'often' either, as you said in your prior post.

more than 5 times when you do 20 or so shows is often

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

I believe if Star was still in DCI, these changes would have all been made sooner...probably nearer the turn of the century. Also, there would have been way more adjustments to the competition element...I think it would have had a net reduction in emphasis.

yet didnt they stay on 2 valves longer than everyone else?

Yup...imagine them deciding to add a valve to a bugle.

Still a bugle...

yet didnt they stay on 2 valves longer than everyone else?

I believe their future direction was already determined where they might have outfitted the line with new horns and it was most likely not worthwhile to invest in new horns for DCI at that point. Their future in Branson, NYC, etc. didn't require outfitting a whole hornline.

I believe their future direction was already determined where they might have outfitted the line with new horns and it was most likely not worthwhile to invest in new horns for DCI at that point. Their future in Branson, NYC, etc. didn't require outfitting a whole hornline.

actually, 1990 was the first year 3 valves were legal, and you could start phasing them in by voice.

yeah...maybe they would have been less progressive with their instrumentation.

well by 1990 they sure didnt know about Brass Theatre/Blast