Synthesizers in drum corps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw BD and SC this weekend... keyboards well-played and generally appropriate musically, but detracted from the sound EVERY time they could be heard. Final nail: the big push in Appalachian Spring with the keyboard reinforcing the low brass part and destroyng the sonority of the brass sound in the process. All the stink over the superiority in intonation of Bb horns, only to be overpowered by a conflicting waveform. It's a shame.

I noticed they only had 10 Contras in the pictures from last week and thought they would use the "anti-christ' to cover the low brass. My thinks me thoughts are right?

And for those of us who have been around a while, we feel the "Choices" are taking this activity down the wrong path. I feel these recent instrumentation "Choices" are leading DCI straight to extinction.

This is true. I just don't want to see DCI eliminated from my choices.

Nope.....not me. All I would like is for DCI to be recognizable to me. Which each change to instrumentation.....DCI is becoming less and less recognizable to me.

Also....the rate of changes to the core elements of drum corps is borderline ridiculous to me. I can't help but think that money (Sponsorships) has a lot to do with this...

Yeah.....there young....and probably don't see (Or care) about the road ahead. I do.....I would like to see DCI last forever. I am afraid that at this rate......DCI will not even exist in five years......

To reinforce what you said, only that I would like to see Drum and Bugle Corps last forever. DCI can take a long leap......................

So I've been out of touch with drumcorps for a couple of years now. I went to the SCV family day and enjoyed the shows a ton. I have to say though that I was so caught off guard by the electronic sounds . . . to me personally it was a distraction from the show. It was just a sound that didn't seem to fit into the shows. I didn't know at the time that it was a new rule or whatever I just didn't like the sound it made on a whole. Just my opinion.

Besides that I loved all that I saw :) Looking forward to Stanford!!

Ok, I believe we can put the "I don't like the sound of synths" argument to bed. A synthesizer has an infinite amount of ways to change the sound parameters, thus meaning it can sound like anything. Please direct your anger to the people who deserve it: the design/writing staffs.

yeah they changed the sound tonight.

usually too ####### loud, at times so bass heavy your ### vibrated from it.

and lots of lame low brass doubling...i mean most corps have 10 contras out there...if they cant product the sound, teach them

Synthesizers in Drum Corps!!! It is a great addition. Creativity will be unleashed here and it will be amazing to hear what each corps does with this. I love it!!! Be patient about balancing sound - it's new and the directors are still working with it. Give this a chance!!

I just heard my first synth in a live show via the webcast. It was the Colts. As a kid who grew up listening to early/mid 80s electro sampling, I must say they did paid homage to it. Interesting synthetic harp work, too.

I'll just say that I'm reserving judgment of synths overall until I've heard how they're used by a multitude of corps.

I just have to say, the Annapolis show gave three huge examples of extremely poor use of a synth. Here's hoping Colts, Glassmen, and BAC all rethink their synth use cause it is horrible.