Synthesizers in drum corps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is also striking that in practically every other musical form-the ideal is getting away from amps. Artists love to play unplugged (unless you are doing electronica!) and audiences enjoy hearing accoustic music. Only DCI would pursue adding mics & electronics to an essentially accoustic music experience when every other musical is trying to get away from them. :withstupid:

Hardly. Have you seen a Broadway musical lately?

So, in essence, and to make your post concise and to the point; you went to something other than a drum corps show and equated that experience to drum corps as being the same. Got it.

Did you even read the post Matt responded to?

It is also striking that in practically every other musical form-the ideal is getting away from amps. Artists love to play unplugged (unless you are doing electronica!) and audiences enjoy hearing accoustic music. Only DCI would pursue adding mics & electronics to an essentially accoustic music experience when every other musical is trying to get away from them.

"most of us" being the vocal majority in this thread. I was told by a DCI staffer last year that the 2007 Championships had the highest attendance of any Championship sine DCI began to officially keep track (in the early 90's). That was obviously well after amping pits and voices were legalized.

Seeing that it was the only time DCI ever staged championships on the West coast, that comes as no surprise. However, the "official" numbers you refer to started in 1995, and thus exclude about 20 better-attended finals shows.

More importantly, the overall attendance trends are what should be looked at....and overall attendance has been on a downslide since 2004 (including 2007).

Just like it is today.

No, today it is about "the best of the best".

Ok, I'm drawing the line here-----no synths in Drum and Bugle corps. No electricity. That's my vote. anyone else?

not to much too it, i say no. if it continues in a few years... I'll stop watching drum corps. easy as that. just stick to the tapes and dvd's i have. I grew up watching my parents videos, and now, this year, i only like about 3 shows. its killing me to see dci and synthesizers.

Ok, I'm drawing the line here-----no synths in Drum and Bugle corps. No electricity. That's my vote. anyone else?

I agree. :bigsmile: I found myself tuning out the amp/synth sounds to listen to the horn line at the theater tonight. Or worse yet wondering is that the horn line or the low bass keyboard amped. :bluedevil: Yes i have been following DC since the 70's but. I love techno music, in fact Moby, DJ Tiesto, Paul Oakenfold are some of my favorite Artist and the most listen to, other then Drum Corps and Ska on my Zune. I do not like the added boost. Why do they need it?