OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might be moving faster than most corps, for longer periods of time...but to say they have one of the hardest drills and hardest music...hmmmm, not so sure of that. I do hope they make a surge like last year. I miss Madison being in the top 12 where they belong.

In comparison to a great majority of those around them (Colts, Troopers, Glassmen, etc.), I'd say that's very accurate. Though I also agree that in comparison to the current top 6, it's not one of the hardest music. Drill is hard just based on the fact of tempo and constant motion; there's just not a lot of breaks for the members.

What people don't seem to mention is that the brass is beating most of the corps around them. Madison is getting killed in Visual and Percussion, where GE seems to be only slightly lacking in comparison to those around them. The brass is keeping them afloat for the time being.

And yeah, top 12 is where I'd always like to see Madison. Right now, it just seems like it's not possible for this season.

GO SCOUTS!!! PROVE ME WRONG!! ...please?

What people don't seem to mention is that the brass is beating most of the corps around them. Madison is getting killed in Visual and Percussion, where GE seems to be only slightly lacking in comparison to those around them. The brass is keeping them afloat for the time being.

And yeah, top 12 is where I'd always like to see Madison. Right now, it just seems like it's not possible for this season.

GO SCOUTS!!! PROVE ME WRONG!! ...please?

I wish Scouts would prove everyone wrong, but here is the scores just from tonight

GE , Visual , Music

30.000 , 22.050 , 23.150

8 , 9 , 8

At least Scouts were .050 ahead of Academy tonight, but still that is not a good enough jump.

Edited by JustAnotherRookOut

Madison always evokes the fiercest debate.

Thats because in the past, Madison played to the crowd AND the Judges, today...not sure what they are trying to be...Blue Devils lite?...(can't call them the B or C corps, not fair to those kids).

It's just killing me...

Not the kids (current Scouts) fault now...

MYNWA...GO SCOUTS!!

What people don't seem to understand is difficulty and demand do not equal good. To be blunt, and I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for saying this, this show is a disaster - visually. The uniforms are absolutely horrible (guard and corps proper). I'll agree the musical book is pretty darn good and the brassline is great, but they are hindered once again by a visual program that is difficult for the sake of being difficult. Why design a poor drill, that makes no sense musically, that is so demanding? If you're going to put a poor design on the field, make it less demanding so the performers actually have a chance. I am just left scratching my head wondering why no one powerful enough within the organization to influence things didn't say, "These uniforms are atrocious" or "This drill is so poorly designed and too demanding." It's much like 2006. And, the opening sequence with the guard is just awful. Even I think I could design a better guard sequence than this. Do these designers actually think the product they produced is good? I do not believe the '09 Scouts are as good as the '08 Scouts, nor do I believe they will make finals this year. Shoot me if you want, but this organization has repeatedly taken wrong turn after epic wrong turn since the 2005 season. It's just really sad and really frustrating.

Edited by gellio

What people don't seem to understand is difficulty and demand do not equal good. To be blunt, and I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for saying this, this show is a disaster - visually. The uniforms are absolutely horrible (guard and corps proper). I'll agree the musical book is pretty darn good and the brassline is great, but they are hindered once again by a visual program that is difficult for the sake of being difficult. Why design a poor drill, that makes no sense musically, that is so demanding? If you're going to put a poor design on the field, make it less demanding so the performers actually have a chance. I am just left scratching my head wondering why no one powerful enough within the organization to influence things didn't say, "These uniforms are atrocious" or "This drill is so poorly designed and too demanding." It's much like 2006. And, the opening sequence with the guard is just awful. Even I think I could design a better guard sequence than this. Do these designers actually think the product they produced is good? I do not believe the '09 Scouts are as good as the '08 Scouts, nor do I believe they will make finals this year. Shoot me if you want, but this organization has repeatedly taken wrong turn after epic wrong turn since the 2005 season.

Thats what i'm saying...minus the designing a Guard sequence.

It's just really sad and really frustrating.

sigh...it is

What people don't seem to understand is difficulty and demand do not equal good. To be blunt, and I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for saying this, this show is a disaster - visually. The uniforms are absolutely horrible (guard and corps proper). I'll agree the musical book is pretty darn good and the brassline is great, but they are hindered once again by a visual program that is difficult for the sake of being difficult. Why design a poor drill, that makes no sense musically, that is so demanding? If you're going to put a poor design on the field, make it less demanding so the performers actually have a chance. I am just left scratching my head wondering why no one powerful enough within the organization to influence things didn't say, "These uniforms are atrocious" or "This drill is so poorly designed and too demanding." It's much like 2006. And, the opening sequence with the guard is just awful. Even I think I could design a better guard sequence than this. Do these designers actually think the product they produced is good? I do not believe the '09 Scouts are as good as the '08 Scouts, nor do I believe they will make finals this year. Shoot me if you want, but this organization has repeatedly taken wrong turn after epic wrong turn since the 2005 season. It's just really sad and really frustrating.

Agreeing with most of this. Saw the Scouts in Mich City. The one bright spot is the brassline. They sound nice. Everything else makes my teeth itch.

I got majorly hosed for not liking their unis about a month ago. The red sash on that uniform is bad. The guard unis look like they were designed by a 5-year-old trying to pick out a Halloween costume.

I feel for the kids. They will perform what they are given to perform. It's a shame that what they have been given is, IMO, not even a Friday night product.

I was really looking forward to the Scouts this year. All the talk of member retention. Some good additions on staff. Building momentum. Sorry to report that 2009 is a major step backwards for them. And it's time to stop the "IT'S STILL EARLY!! CHANGES!! CLEANING!!! POW!!!" It's not early. The hourglass is running out.

You know what you get when you polish a terd? A shiny piece of ####.

As of right now, I see the Scouts finishing 16th. Maybe 17th.

On a more positive note...

There's a new video up on the Fan Network:

http://v2.thefannetwork.org/?network_id=1&...&mode=viral

GO SCOUTS!!!

So this tells me that....3 years in...the instructional staff needs a change...specifically in the area of marching and technique.

This is the first year for the Visual Caption Head (and also the guard caption head). Maybe we should give them a little more than half a season before firing them.

Neil Adkison

Charlotte Morrow

I was at the show last night; it was great! I overheard the people around me, who did not seem to be associated with any particular corps, saying what a step up the Scouts were from all of the corps before them (two of which scored higher). It's not a popularity contest, I think the judges are about right but I still think the Scouts can hit 12th with this show.

The crowd only groaned disapproval at two score announcements, Scouts and SCV.

You know what you get when you polish a terd? A shiny piece of ####.

I made a similar analogy about Michael Bay's Transformers 2.

I don't care if you sprinkle diamonds on a piece of ####. It's still a piece of ####.

GO SCOUTS!!!!!!! Bring the visual!!!

I was at the show last night; it was great! I overheard the people around me, who did not seem to be associated with any particular corps, saying what a step up the Scouts were from all of the corps before them (two of which scored higher). It's not a popularity contest, I think the judges are about right but I still think the Scouts can hit 12th with this show.

The crowd only groaned disapproval at two score announcements, Scouts and SCV.

This is GREAT news to me. If you're not going to have the success as per usual, make sure the fans are pulling for you.

The only thing that would make it better is if they booed the announcements!

Edited by NR_Ohiobando