OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

I think the tick system had its place and perhaps still does as part of the execution score...

There is no execution score. (unless you're on death row) What was execution? How well you did something? How can you determine how well you "execute" something unless you consider the challenge or the depth of design within what you're trying to execute? Since every corps plays different music and marches a different drill, simply counting errors doesn't work. A "frack" in Flight of the Bumble Bee is different than a "frack" in Mary Had a Little lamb. Achievement is measured by evaluating "What" you do, and "How Well" you do it. If you look at the current system, you will see this breakdown of "What" and "How" used throughout. The tick system was worthless as an instrument to measure achievement IMO. Now, lets hope the Scouts can work some magic this last week.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.....Well, 3-4 shows latter, and the Men of Madison still remain in the same "slot" with the 12th place gap widening a little to a solid 3 point deficit. To turn the heads of the powers that be at this stage of the game, it's going to require rare spectacular achievement from here on out!

Turn it up and kick it in guys.......you can do it!

There is no execution score. (unless you're on death row) What was execution? How well you did something? How can you determine how well you "execute" something unless you consider the challenge or the depth of design within what you're trying to execute? Since every corps plays different music and marches a different drill, simply counting errors doesn't work. A "frack" in Flight of the Bumble Bee is different than a "frack" in Mary Had a Little lamb. Achievement is measured by evaluating "What" you do, and "How Well" you do it. If you look at the current system, you will see this breakdown of "What" and "How" used throughout. The tick system was worthless as an instrument to measure achievement IMO. Now, lets hope the Scouts can work some magic this last week.

Pardon me..."execution score" is my term- I should have indicated that. In my opinion counting errors can work if used in conjunction with a "build up" system. If corps "a" does something harder than corps "b" but does not peform it cleanly ( ie. execution ) then I don't believe it should be rewarded b/c they simply tried it. If you chose to play Bumble Bee vs. Mary had a Little Lamb that's fine'; but if it is not done well I don't feel it deserves a higher performance mark just b/c it was a harder piece to play. We had an instructor who would walk through the run through with a counter counting every little "tick" he saw. This helped us know immediately what things we needed to address from a field level "how well we do something" standpoint that helped us sell the product to both the fans and judges. We were clean in what we did... which resulted in generating "effect" and communicating the "idea" of the show as well as excitement at seeing something done precisely which was also difficult -at that time.

the other night I believe there was a 3 way in salem. With all the differences between the shows I just find it hard to believe there was not some way to determine -between those 3 corps- who had done the better job. Let the ensemble and effect judges use a build up system but let the performance (field) judges use a break down system for errors.

This is just the opinion of someone who -as a casual fan now- feels there is just too much subjectivity and personal opinion in judging the activity now. Right, wrong or otherwise this is simply how I feel.

CM

Edited by scout9193

Ok.....Well, 3-4 shows latter, and the Men of Madison still remain in the same "slot" with the 12th place gap widening a little to a solid 3 point deficit. To turn the heads of the powers that be at this stage of the game, it's going to require rare spectacular achievement from here on out!

Turn it up and kick it in guys.......you can do it!

Thought it appropriate to add this "review" from last nights show in Lawrence, MA..........Unfortunately, this echos consistent views from throughout the season...........Let's clean it up guys and get after it!

(Review posted from BRASSO today @ 11:35 via Lawrence, MA show)

MADISON SCOUTS....... wished the Corps would enter the field in the company front which use to be their signature...... not a fan of their new uniforms...... Corps has a good brass line, and I like the music....... first half of the show, better than the 2nd half......there is little flow to this show however. It seems chopped.........some nice visual moves in the show..... percussion line a bit muddled....... bass drummer out of step first 20 seconds of show, which is a no no........ lots of dirt in the drill...... and despite some good music here and there, the Corps live and die by execution....... I hope that Madison comes out with a more easily understood theme next year. That said, I think Madison's scores were a little lower than what I would have given them...... crowd gave them a good hand..... people in MA like the Madison Scouts.... hope they come back again soon.

Edited by Mad75

I just want to thank the men for their performance last night in Lawrence. I am not going to even pretend that I can provide an objective review of last nights show…I went to Veterans Memorial Stadium last night with two simple objectives, to support the corps and expose my son to the greatest, most positive organization that I have ever had the privilege of being associated with.

From my perspective the show was great and although my son, having never experienced anything like a drum corps performance, spent the first minute or so hovering between abject terror and fascination he quickly settled in and seemed appropriately delighted and approving of the energy, movement and power of the Scouts. Is the show perfect? Nope…but this group of men appears to have what it takes to do what countless other groups of Madison Scouts have done before them…grab adversity by the balls, give ‘em a twist and achieve greatness. The show’s got dirt you say? Fine, they’ll clean it! You don’t like the show concept…tough. They’ll just have to sell it anyway, like nobody but Madison can! I for one couldn’t have been more proud last night and have every confidence in the ability of this group of Madison Scouts to make their mark on the drum corps world before this is all said and done.

MYNWA

This just in from Allentown........Live report from the stands.........Hard to view this as a Madison hater since this has been a consistent theme the entire summer!

Man this is way beyond getting old.......Come on Techs!, let's get this sucker cleaned up so the boys have a snowball's chance to max it out!!

GEEEEESh!

Twitter - ArenaMJ Whoever said that Madison was rebuilding, lied. Feet are a mess visuals are a mess. Not sure what to think. Any advice?

Edited by Mad75

Scores just in from Allentown...........nothing new to report (regarding that all important spread).........the men are still 3 points out from that magical 12th place.

Edited by Mad75

Scores just in from Allentown...........nothing new to report.........the men are still 3 points out from that magical 12th place.

Seems there IS something new to report:

With this score, it seems they have the #15 spot for quarters, which means fans will get to see them in the movie theaters next week.

Wondering if they will be scheduling quarters in blocks of 3 like last year? If so, then Scouts will be in same block as last year, since they were in 13th going in to quarters if I remember correctly. Not all bad... if they can do some serious cleaning, they may be able to make a move. Doesn't seem this story is over until the Fat Lady sings!

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

Seems there IS something new to report:

With this score, it seems they have the #15 spot for quarters, which means fans will get to see them in the movie theaters next week.

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

Congrats Scouts! I know the fans of 7 other corps would love to trade places with you Thursday night. The Scouts are one of the few corps I haven't seen live this year. I'm looking forward to seeing them Thursday night.

I just want to thank the men for their performance last night in Lawrence. I am not going to even pretend that I can provide an objective review of last nights show…I went to Veterans Memorial Stadium last night with two simple objectives, to support the corps and expose my son to the greatest, most positive organization that I have ever had the privilege of being associated with.

From my perspective the show was great and although my son, having never experienced anything like a drum corps performance, spent the first minute or so hovering between abject terror and fascination he quickly settled in and seemed appropriately delighted and approving of the energy, movement and power of the Scouts. Is the show perfect? Nope…but this group of men appears to have what it takes to do what countless other groups of Madison Scouts have done before them…grab adversity by the balls, give ‘em a twist and achieve greatness. The show’s got dirt you say? Fine, they’ll clean it! You don’t like the show concept…tough. They’ll just have to sell it anyway, like nobody but Madison can! I for one couldn’t have been more proud last night and have every confidence in the ability of this group of Madison Scouts to make their mark on the drum corps world before this is all said and done.

MYNWA

COOL.