OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

A student in a group I teach is marching Scouts this year. He's marched another corps previously, but wasn't sure he was going to be able to march this season due to a personal/family issue. A spot opened up in the spring, and he was able to jump in and join the corps. He's a fairly competitive kid, and with the Scouts having a somewhat down year placement wise, I wasn't sure if he'd be excited about the summer.

But he apparently absolutely loves it. He loves the brotherhood, he's having a blast, and I think he's feeling like he's learning quite a bit musically.

It's easy for me (us) to get worked up over winning/losing, who's beating who, where our favorite corps are placing, and whether or not our corps is meeting the goals that were set in the winter months. It's all too easy to watch the FN broadcasts, or see the corps live, and pick them apart for design flaws, performance issues, and other disappointments. But after hearing about my student's enthusiasm for the season and the experience he's gaining as a Madison Scout, it reminds me what the activity is really about, and I couldn't be happier with the corps and what they are teaching him. It would obviously be better if the corps were scoring higher and being more competitive. But if you can't have that, at least the alumni/fans can be proud of the corps for continuing to instill what I'm sure are the long standing values of the Madison Scouts.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see the Scouts in Buffalo on Aug 2.

Me, too! And like you, I can't wait! :thumbdown:

BYBO.jpg

What's a corps to do

when it's own fans turn on on another?

I don't see where Madison's fans are "turning" on one another. What I'm seeing this summer is a Scout fan base that's in utter shock and disbelief, they just want to wake up from their bad dream and they're looking for answers. The supporters of all things Madison expected a major step forward from last years accomplishments, and it's easy to see why they had this expectation, especially if one puts stock in early season pronouncements and claims........even claims from the Scouts Director while the corps resided in Baraboo. It's easy to conclude why the aforementioned believed big things were in store for and expected from this years rendition of the Scouts........there was simply an extraordinary amount of buzz and excitement for what this summer would bring! None of these "fans" foresaw one step forward then two steps back regarding the 2009 Scouts. Many that are passionate towards their Scouts, especially those that have an extensive history with this corps rely upon powerful past references of a corps that was a perennial top six contender. They know the accomplishments of this corps and desperately want to see the "Phoenix" rise again!.......and they had every reason to believe that this year was the year for the Scouts to take "that" big step forward.

So, I think a little more perspective and introspection is in order before you pit one group against another. Equally important is for those "purists" who would quickly come down upon others that exhibit passion towards this corps. I would suggest that they need to think a little bit longer before they pronounce judgment upon others as being non-supportive simply because their communication style or how they're wired may differ! And for those that are prone to the knee-jerk response of, "if you don't volunteer, or if you don't do this or that on behalf of the corps" then somehow you're not worthy of expressing your views.......be very careful! You're in danger of using a broad brush approach that cancels out the support of individuals beyond your frame of reference. Remember, this is an emotion based activity and we're talking about a corps that generates 10+ on the drum corps emotion scale. Thus, I think it's safe to conclude that opinions will run the gamete when we're talking about the Scouts........and that should be OK!.........at least you'd hope it's OK.

It's also important to point out that the season isn't over yet, and I've known the Madison Scouts to have the uncanny ability to turn the tide in very short order!

Here' to great things in the coming days!!!

Keep pushing, men. I know that I'm still behind you...along with many many others!

MYNWA

And

BYBO!!!

:worthy:

Not for nothing--

I caught the Nightbeat show and enjoyed it much more than I thought. It hit me that perhaps my mindset of the show before seeing may have skewed my initial thoughts on it. Looking back I do like the show much more now ( though the humorous stuff caught me off guard). I do wonder how much more I'd dig it hearing on G bugles as all corps just don't seem as loud to me now..

CM

By the way--renewed the dues and bought a couple of shirts (good stuff this year!~)

I would sure hope to see you post here very soon my man. You know better than to take things so personal here on the planet. The Corps is doing just fine, scores are scores- we are dirty and that is just the way the cookie crumbles this year. It will take some time to figure out how to clean harder shows. They can count on you staying as positive as you are, and not letting some bad apples get you going. You should be very proud of those men this year as every year, being 17th or 1st. I have enjoyed watching your son all year long, heres to the Scouts doing there thing all the way to the end. 1st or last they sure make this alum proud.

Stay positve everyone,

Jason

Just got home from tour. After reading the last 20 or so page's I feel it is a waste of my time to even come here anymore.

To the Madison Scout fans and most of my fellow Alumni . I am sorry that I must stop coming here and shareing what go's on with The Madison Scouts. I just can not do it any more. There are a few people that have just gone too far for me to just ignore any more.

Bill Leslie